BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Dream Theater  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re: Dream Theater
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »
Daniel who is your influence?

I doubt those names would be at the top of many peoples lists.

BTW how many more hits did they have over metallica?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:50:04 PM by Matt »
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Chris Hyde

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
"Hits" don't make a musician.  Pop/Mainstream music is a joke.  I laugh when I hear 30 people a day with the "Rockstar" ringtone from Nickelback.  I love wheeling, but my first passion is music.  I have been a musician for 15 years, have been in bands, recorded, been rocorded and up until last September, organized and hosted monthly concerts in Dalton for local underground bands.  Poll ANY good, well rounded guitarist and he will say one of his influences is Petrucci.  Poll any well rounded, progressive rock drummer and one of his influences will be Portnoy and another will me Peart.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:57:37 PM by Chris »

Chris Hyde

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »
Out of 100, look who #1 and #11 are.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_drummers.html

Out of 100, look who #12 is.  I don't even see Kirk Hammett on the list.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_guitar-metal.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:03:06 PM by Chris »

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »
Out of 100, look who #1 and #11 are.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_drummers.html

Out of 100, look who #12 is.  I don't even see Kirk Hammett on the list.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_guitar-metal.html

I dont recall saying Kirk Hammett was the best at anything.  Who's top list is this? Someone else on the internet with an opinion. I say if your a great band then eventually your music will hit mainstream weather you like it or not. The artist doesnt decide this. I am just saying that if you compare the two bands Dreams Theater sound like a band that has many more songs that I would rather listen to. If I do a search on the internet I could find hundreds of more greatest list...They will all have different artists and will all have hundreds of different opinions. I hate these bands that say, we dont play for fame or money. Usually theses are the same bands that suck.

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Chris Hyde

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »
I say if your a great band then eventually your music will hit mainstream weather you like it or not. The artist doesnt decide this.

Oh but yes they can decide if they want to go mainstream, especially when they produce their own music.  See, most pop bands are under the spell of a pop record company who owns their nuts.  I almost stink of the politics of music because I have been around it behind the scenes, been around the table when folks want you to "sign here" and lurked during negotiations.  Trust me, music is just like news.  You hear what people want you to hear.  Great musicianship is less than 10% of todays music industry.  Anybody with a good voice can suck the right executive penai, get a record contract, make a hit and disappear.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:19:58 PM by Chris »

WOLVERINE

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
LMAO!  These guys were arranging music before James Hetfield was a seedling in the music industry.

Ask ANY of todays guitarists who their influence is..........one will be John Petrucci.
Ask ANY of todays drummers who their influence is..........one will be Mike Portnoy.
Ask ANY of todays bassists who their influence is..........one will be John Myung.

Thats odd considering Metallica were formed in 1981 and Dream Theater in 1985 !!!!!

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
I say if your a great band then eventually your music will hit mainstream weather you like it or not. The artist doesnt decide this.

Oh but yes they can decide if they want to go mainstream, especially when they produce their own music.  See, most pop bands are under the spell of a pop record company who owns their nuts.  I almost stink of the politics of music because I have been around it behind the scenes, been around the table when folks want you to "sign here" and lurked during negotiations.  Trust me, music is just like news.  You hear what people want you to hear.  Great musicianship is less than 10% of todays music industry.  Anybody with a good voice can suck the right executive penai, get a record contract, make a hit and disappear.

Well I agree that "the man" forces us to hear what they want us to, through radio play, tv, etc. (BIGGEST EXAMPLE RIGHT NOW - American Idol, they are shoving that sorry ass little kid down our throats, I am sick of hearing him sing the same old shit every week. He forgets his lyrics and doesnt even hit the bottom three. That show is rigged or else they would show the voting results.) But anyways if your great you will get heard and not through "the man"

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Chris Hyde

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
 ;D  David Archuleta FTW!  :D :D :D

WOLVERINE

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »

Thats all shit! There is not one band on Earth that plays just for the music!! They all talk big and bash Corporate rock but when and If they become popular they never turn back! You think if they played a huge stadium tour and were a top ten grossing band that they would say "  oooh we better stop being succesful".. Bullshit.  Perfect Example..Queensryche. They had a huge underground / cult following they made a number of "Opera" Story albums and once they became popular what did they do.  STADIUMS, MTV, GRAMMY AWARDS etc.... If a band or musician says he does'nt play for money or fame hes a liar.

WOLVERINE

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
"Hits" don't make a musician.  Pop/Mainstream music is a joke.  I laugh when I hear 30 people a day with the "Rockstar" ringtone from Nickelback.  I love wheeling, but my first passion is music.  I have been a musician for 15 years, have been in bands, recorded, been rocorded and up until last September, organized and hosted monthly concerts in Dalton for local underground bands.  Poll ANY good, well rounded guitarist and he will say one of his influences is Petrucci.  Poll any well rounded, progressive rock drummer and one of his influences will be Portnoy and another will me Peart.

Portnoy.........WHO????????
Petrucci.........WHO???????

Are you talking about famous people or guys from Jersey' who drive Camaro's.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
Meh, I'll stick to my hippy-jam-band-music and my classic rock/classic-hippy-jam-band-music.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Chris Hyde

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »
Thats all shit!

Is your vagina hurting again?  If so, my wife said you can borrow a tampon.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM