BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Brewery Tour Thread  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Brewery Tour Thread
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »
I know we have quite a few beer drinkers in our club, so I assume many of you guys enjoy the breweries when possible. Share breweries toured, pics, cool info, experiences, etc.

I'll start since I visited a really fun one today.

Yuengling - Pottsville, PA

I was able to tour the brewery today, so much interesting history!!   My wife is from here and actually went to school with one of the daughters.  This is the oldest brewery in America.  I'll try to include some of the most interesting facts that I can remember.

- Much of the brewery was built deep in the mountain to utilize the constant cold temps. Coal was mined on the other side. Current underground cave is 140 yards by 50 or so.

- Their current production is done out of only 3 brewing facilities

- The company is owned by a 5th generation yuengling and has always been tradition for each owner to pay full market value for the company. They felt that you won't take as good of care of something that is given to you.

-"yuengling premium" beer is only offered in PA

-During prohibition, they started an Ice Cream business to keep all of his employees employed.  Not one person had to be laid off.

-1 min after prohibition ended, they sent a truckload of beer to the whitehouse to thank FDR. The truck was actually hijacked on the way, but half of it still made it to him.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:09:29 AM by Raisinhead »
Jay

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Brewery Tour Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:33:48 AM »
I have had two internships at Miller coos in albany, went through the bush garden brewery before it closed, visited athens bewery, abetia bewery, and blue tarp.

Awesome info above.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Trail Duty

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »
I like this idea. Love a good brewery tour.

Guinness St. James Gate Brewery, Dublin, Ireland

7 floors of history and beer

I didn't take many pictures, so here is a giant carved wooden pint glass, and the view from the 7th floor sky bar.
David - 2011 Flame Red JKU

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:46:52 AM »
Jailhouse is pretty neat.  The beer is brewed in an old jailhouse.  The facility is small, so it will be a small part of overall production in the long term.

Monday Night Brewery has an  absolutely fantastic facility.  I haven't been on a micro brewery tour in a while, but that one was the best setup one for growth I had seen to date.  These guys started out as contract brewers, which means they would contract with other breweries to use their facilities and equipment to brew (read low capital investment) and then they (MNB) would do the marketing and distribution.  Once they established a following, the went for capital investment, found a facility, and built their new setup.  Very smartly laid out compared to what you normally see.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »
Great thread Jay. I'm going to need to get to a computer and keyboard for this one...been to quite a few w pics as well. I'll dig them up and post.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »
There is a small 1-room craft brewery in Vickery Village 200 yards from my house.  The beer is available at Tanners next door.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Skippy

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »
One of my favorite pastimes when traveling for work ... find the local brewery and sample the goods.  Every glass represents a brewery visit.  Surprisingly, Delta hasn't broken one yet. 

The larger breweries are neat just because of the scale, but I always enjoy visiting the smaller guys as it's always a bit more personal when you can actually have a beer with the brewmaster.  My best memory is shoveling out a ton or so of spent grain from the mash tun at Titletown Brewing in Green Bay - dude thought I was a nut case for volunteering.  Not sure he was wrong...

Rob

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 11:10:47 PM »
^^^very impressive!!
Jay

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 07:55:01 AM »
I'm a hop head craft beer junkie and, like Skippy, when I travel I will be stopping by the local brewery's!

My last trip this summer took me to San Diego. What a place for beer.

Two of my absolute favorites were:

Green Flash
They have the sweetest tasting room that I have been in and at 5pm food trucks pull in to the parking lot. Nirvana!

And Ballast Point:
They have a damn big operation. Not AB big but big for craft brew. They had a ton of beers that they don't send to the East Coast that were so damn good. I don't think I could live w the fruits and nuts in Cali full time but I will be going back to visit.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 08:00:06 AM »
And now I have a confession. I have lived in Woodstock for over a year now and have not made a trip to Reformation...like 4 miles from my house.

Who wants to go check it out some time?  They do tours and tastings Thursday and Fridays evenings and Sat and Sun afternoons

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 08:40:22 AM »

And now I have a confession. I have lived in Woodstock for over a year now and have not made a trip to Reformation...like 4 miles from my house.

Who wants to go check it out some time?  They do tours and tastings Thursday and Fridays evenings and Sat and Sun afternoons
Let's do it.
Bobby

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »

I've been, but missed the tour. Cool little set up.

Also, we should check out the new one in Roswell. Then go to Athens. Party bus
Jay

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM