BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: So I just got pulled over....  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
So I just got pulled over....
« on: April 20, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »
.....for driving without doors. The cop didn't give me a ticket or a written warning, so I tried not to argue with him, but I still think its BS. I told him that a read all of Section 40 (GA vehicular code) and it never once mentioned doors and that I had my one required mirror that allowed me to see 200 feet behind me. I told him I never keep anything in the car that could easily turn into a projectile or anything that could fly out and litter the road. He told me that it may not be in GA code but its an equipment violation in Macon. He told me if I put a small ratchet strap across the door frame, he wouldn't have even thought about pulling me over since "a seatbelt will only help so much". If he was writing me a ticket, I would have kindly asked him to explain how a piece of 1" webbing designed to take a constant load of a few hundred pounds would have saved me if a piece of 3" webbing designed to take an instantaneous load of a few thousand pounds couldn't. I also kept my mouth shut about the probably hundreds of cops that have seen me in every county from Milledgeville to Murphy, NC in the past year, not to mention the three others I saw this morning that didn't stop me. So, anybody know where I should go about trying to find a copy of Macon's vehicular code? I'd like to read over it, and if it says nothing about doors, carry a copy in my glovebox with me. If it does say I need doors, any one want to bend up some t00b for me?
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

BigJerm

Re: So I just got pulled over....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:13:08 PM »
hmmm that is interesting. I wonder if they pull over every Wrangler as well or did he pull you over just because it isnt normal for anything but a Wrangler to be doorless?

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
.....for driving without doors. The cop didn't give me a ticket or a written warning, so I tried not to argue with him, but I still think its BS. I told him that a read all of Section 40 (GA vehicular code) and it never once mentioned doors and that I had my one required mirror that allowed me to see 200 feet behind me. I told him I never keep anything in the car that could easily turn into a projectile or anything that could fly out and litter the road. He told me that it may not be in GA code but its an equipment violation in Macon. He told me if I put a small ratchet strap across the door frame, he wouldn't have even thought about pulling me over since "a seatbelt will only help so much". If he was writing me a ticket, I would have kindly asked him to explain how a piece of 1" webbing designed to take a constant load of a few hundred pounds would have saved me if a piece of 3" webbing designed to take an instantaneous load of a few thousand pounds couldn't. I also kept my mouth shut about the probably hundreds of cops that have seen me in every county from Milledgeville to Murphy, NC in the past year, not to mention the three others I saw this morning that didn't stop me. So, anybody know where I should go about trying to find a copy of Macon's vehicular code? I'd like to read over it, and if it says nothing about doors, carry a copy in my glovebox with me. If it does say I need doors, any one want to bend up some t00b for me?

That's lame. Maybe the DMV??? I'll becha a dolla they got it there
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »
hmmm that is interesting. I wonder if they pull over every Wrangler as well or did he pull you over just because it isnt normal for anything but a Wrangler to be doorless?

Yeah Jimmy, put your doors back on, it's rude  >:(
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
That sucks. Like Jeremy said, if a Wrangler can drive without doors, why not a Cherokee. But hey, now its just time for tube doors or half doors.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Xterra

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »
jimmy, you have a cherokee?
2006 Nissan Xterra

1992 Jeep YJ

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »
only one of the coolest...
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

ranger11

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »
Probably a new cop and he was just wanted to be at home with his doors off. Dont sweat it until he pull you over again.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »
Probably a new cop and he was just wanted to be at home with his doors off. Dont sweat it until he pull you over again.

Well, it was like a half mile from my house on the road I take to school and work every day (Vineville), so if he patrols around that area I don't want him to stop me and be like "I told you not to do this, here's a ticket".
- Jimmy

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 02:11:17 PM »
only one of the coolest...

Ha, thanks Matt, I wish.
- Jimmy

Offline b1pig

• Visitor
    • b1pig's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 06:47:36 AM »
i would have to dig... 40-8 is that equipment section. several years ago, i did read that there was a requirement that any vehicle equiped with doors had to have them on the vehicle when driven on the road. i looked recently, but didnt see it. i think it was buried in some obscure code section. was there a code section on the written warning? if not, i would honestly speak to a supervisor on it. not neceaasrily to complain, but if they can't find it either, then that officer is making invalid stops.

let me edit:
if that particular city/county has an ordnance which restricts doors on vehicles... that could be a possible legal stop as well.
 I am having th hardest time... and i have scanned ALL of the 40-8 section and i can't find it. either it's a local ordnance, or it isn't a valid stop.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 07:06:41 AM by b1pig »
'07 Unlimited Rubicon.. aaaalllll black, baby!
'98 ZJ converted to 4wd w/5.5"& 33s, '90 Geo Tracker 5" susp/b.l. & 30's
"People Eating Tasty Animals" -bumper sticker on a Chevy
ZJ 2wd->4wd Conversion,CJ5(the one we sold),MY MSN PAGE,Death Wobble

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 07:40:39 AM »
Thanks, I was waiting for your input. He didn't give me a written warning, so I don't have a code section to look at. I am going to call the PD when they open and see if they can give me any insight into the local ordanances.
- Jimmy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM