BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Christmas Toy Ride Adventure Offroad Park Dec. 5th  (Read 7211 times)

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Christmas Toy Ride Adventure Offroad Park Dec. 5th
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »

The guy in the Grand Cherokee ahead of the Willy's was great entertainment as well.

Maybe I'm new enough to the sport to be a bit more nervous than most, but watching those folks in and around the Willy's and their sense of invincibility (and, I suspect, sobriety) gave me a greater respect for how you guys handle yourself on the trails.

Sorry we left before you guys ran into trouble - had an awesome day out there though.  Pleasure to wheel with you guys.

Yeah, that group was a little crazy and the fact that no one was wearing a seat belt of any kind...

It was great to wheel with you as well Rob.  You did great with your JKU.  Hope to see you on more upcoming rides.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline BeepBeep_Her_Jeep

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »
Hey guys.  Rob's (@Skippy) wife Amy here.  Just wanted to share some photos and videos from the ride.  Rob and I had a blast as always!  Thanks for having patience with us newbies!

@clark123456  Clark making it look easy
https://youtu.be/ZAe01beJGFw

@jd30005  John with his taste of victory
https://youtu.be/RB2QV7TQaIs

Amy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
Thanks, Amy, great camera work.  It was great wheeling with y'all, too.  Awesome Jeep, even if it is white.  Your willingness to go out and use it is what this club is about.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 05:41:44 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics and video Amy.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2015, 07:40:41 AM »
Pictures look great. I had a great time. The last trail we ran was fun 95 and 96
Bobby

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
Willy's Jeep videos:

/>
/>
- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2015, 07:46:20 AM »

Had a great time at AOP yesterday.  Clark and I decided to do "one more" trail with about an hour of daylight left.
Well, you know how that played out.  We did trail 41 and since we were having such a good day, we decided to try 64 - not a good choice. 
Slick as snot and we were all over the place and it turned into a winch fest.  We managed to get Clark turned around based on where he was on the trail but he lost the inside bead on his driver rear - more on that later.

I could not safely get turned around so it was an hour or more of winching up, securing the jeep with a strap, re-position the winch line, etc. 
During this process, numerous rigs passed by, stopped and watched from trail 2 above.  No one ever asked if we needed any help.  Really made me appreciate this club and how we are all willing to help each other out.
Clearly, this is not a philosophy shared by all.

While we were on 64, we saw this JKU beast come up it (pic posted from Will in this thread).  Looks like 14 bolts front and rear and a roaring V8 of some type and man he was not afraid to run that thing hard.
Good entertainment while we were dealing with our recovery.  He did not make it up 64 either - so at least we felt better.

Once we had both jeeps off the trail we had to deal with Clark's tire - it had come completely off the inner bead.  It's pitch black now, we both went back to the trucks in my jeep to grab his spare.
This is when Clark realized he did not have the key for the master lock or the security lug for his spare.  Plan b - grabbed the portable air pump, tools and my floor jack from the trailer box. 

We jacked up the rear axle and wrapped a ratchet strap around the center of the tire and snugged it up and hooked up the air pump (CO2 would have made like a lot easier) and Clark and I pressed the tire against the inner bead.  It took some time, but eventually we heard that satisfying "pop" when the bead was set.

More drama than we both were looking for to end the day.

We both had electrical gremlins as well.  When we unloaded in the morning, Clark's air compressor wouldn't engage (no lockers) and it was a loose connection.
I overheated on trail 92 and discovered that I had fried a relay so my electric fan wasn't working - direct wired it and was fine for the day (except for pulling an inline fuse every time we stopped so I didn't run down the battery).

Lessons learned?
1. Be satisfied with the wheeling you have done for the day - "one more trail" with an hour left of daylight rarely turns out to be a good idea.
2. Make sure you have everything you need with you for recovery (and this is not against Clark - just a good reminder for all of us) - key's for locks, lug keys, etc.
3. How can I fit a CO2 tank in the jeep because that would have been a difference maker in the amount of time.
4. 2 PSI can make a difference - earlier in the day we did a hill climb on a short technical climb - Clark climbed it and made it look easy.  I tried and tried and no go.  We joked that Clark slopped it up and I paid the price.  So, what did he do?  Came back down, turned around and went right back up - no fuss.  I dropped my tires from 10 to 8 psi and then was able to get up.
5. Never, Ever - wheel alone.

All in all a good day - but I am sore this morning.

In prep for today's trip, I went hunting for the spare tire wheel lock tool and key to the master lock that secures the spare tires to the trailer via the braided cable.  It turns out I had both with me last weekend!  So an amendment to John's list: 

2.b.  Thou shall know where appropriate keys are located.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM