BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Eateries and Drinkeries - tell us you fav spots  (Read 27236 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Eateries and Drinkeries - tell us you fav spots
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »
Where the heck do you get one of these?

IDK, but interested in knowing the answer

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »

Be sure to have a portable defibrillator with you...
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »

I'm a fatty!  I really want that burger!
Jay

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:47 PM »
Falls View Restaurant at High Falls Sate Park
in Jackson Ga has damn good Catfish and the
best slaw and homemade pickles....
all the people and service are awesome too
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2016, 07:54:01 PM »
Anyone ever been to Cypress Street Pint and Palate.  They make their own beer and have a burger that uses donuts for buns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
2013 JKU

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »
Anyone ever been to Cypress Street Pint and Palate.  They make their own beer and have a burger that uses donuts for buns!

That's a new joint to me, not heard of it.

I have had the burger w/ donuts and a grilled cheese w/ donuts...kind of one time thing.  The first bite tastes good but goes down hill from there.

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Eateries and Drinkeries - tell us you fav spots
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
Went to GC(Grand Champion) BBQ today for lunch. I had heard good things about it but had never been.  They have two locations; one on Crabapple in Alpharetta and one on Shallowford in East Cobb.  I was at the dentist in E. Cobb and stopped in. 

Ordered the brisket plate with a side of their mac & cheese and green beans. 

I had a few errands to run and I was alone so I did not sit down to eat, I took it to go. 

Brisket was good and tender, I could cut it with just a fork but it lacked flavor...it had good flavor, just not the big, monster brisket flavor I expect from a top joint.  The crust was not really crusty but maybe that was due to it being in a container for about 25 minutes before I ate it. 

They have a sweet sauce and a vinegar, always on the side.  I took some of the sweet and it was very good.

Mac & Cheese was good but again, not great.  Very cheesy and creamy but it was not spiced much.  Needed pepper.  I am not a salt guy, I only use it during cooking and don't salt food after but I would think most people would say they needed a little salt.

Same with the green beans.  They were very plain.  The good thing was that they were NOT over cooked; however, they were not cooked with any fat or pork or bacon that I could tell.

They had Sweetwater IPA and Rouge Dead Guy Ale, so that is good.  I didn't grab one, the E. Cobb Police frown on beers on the road  //;D//

Overall I would go back, it was good food but not great food.  I was expecting more.  Yelp gives them 4 out of 5 stars and I would agree with that.  I'll try their ribs or pork next time with some Brunswick stew.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:08:37 PM by tcdawg »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
I'm back in Austin and my team mate was told to go to Chi'lantro, so we did for lunch.  It was pretty fantastic (i had a rib eye Korean bbq burrito).  To bad I was heading to a meeting, because they had a small, but quality beer selection.  This place was in an old gentrified neighborhood.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »

I have passed this place for years because the sign was simply "Catfish and Chicken" in a gas station strip mall...uninviting.  However, after being driven out of my favorite Chinese restaurant due to bad parents that can't control their kids, or comfort them when they are crying and screaming, the options list opened enough for us to give it a go.  It is a true hole in the wall with modest seating and basic accommodations.  However, people stream in and out, BS while waiting, and are happy to be there. 

They cook...err...fry everything to order, so the wait is significant.  I had chicken fingers with coleslaw, fries (steak), white beans (not for me), and dinner rolls.  Kell had catfish with fries, coleslaw, white beans, and hush puppies.  I really liked mine...juicy chicken, horseradish in the coleslaw, steak fries were great, plus I had one if the hush puppies which was great.  Kell said hers was good, too...and she liked the beans.  The sweat teas were more like sugar water with very little tea taste. 

Lots of value at this place...everything for $22 and half left over for today.  They only accept cash.

There was a hottie behind the counter.

I'll be back, and think you should try it if you're in the area.

Oh yeah, they're only open on Friday and Saturday from late afternoon until 10 pm.  How in the heck do they stay in business!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:58:33 PM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2016, 01:49:42 AM »
@bigprince

The Crafty Hog in Smyrna:

It used to be a sandwich shop for old people named Howard's, which is what Kell and I expected, but it was now a bbq joint.

Upon entering, with plenty of parking available, there was a line at the check in.  People leaving were not happy about their service, but we decided to stick with it.  After waiting a few minutes, they said the bar area was FCFS, so we went in there.  It took a few minutes for the drink order to be taken.  The good news is they have a pretty good beer selection (hi-5 for me). 

I couldn't find sliced brisket on the menu, only chopped brisket, which was a let down.  So instead, Kell and I ordered pulled pork on a Kaiser bun.  I got fries and smoked gouda Mac and cheese; she got fried Brussels sprouts and collards. 

The pork is definitely really smoked and had great flavor.  Nice smoke ring.  Mine was a bit dry, but Kell's was moist...strange considering we both got the same thing at the same time.  Their sauces were awesome!  They have a sweet red, mustard based, vinegar based with a good bit of heat, and something else.  My favorite was the vinegar, but the others were well balanced without being too sweet.

The fries were, well, fries.  I'd get the Brussels sprout, and Mac and Cheese again.  Kell said her collards were better,  but theirs weren't bad.

Overall, I'll be going back.  A lot of complaints about service speed even as we were eating.  They admitted they were light staffed, which is why they tried to limit seating speed despite plenty of tables being available.  Our service in the bar area was fine.

I could see this place being a great hangout spot if I lived nearby.  They have a sandlot with corn hole setup, great beer selection, and good bbq.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
Sounds like a cool place Clark. I wish there were more places like this around me...

Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM