BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: JKR at the dealer for rear locker  (Read 754 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
JKR at the dealer for rear locker
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:25:06 AM »
I dropped the JKR off at Palmer this morning.  When we were at AOP 2 weekends ago, the rear e-locker would not release.  Had to jack up the rear end and Tony was able to use a screw driver through the drain plug to pry the locker ring away so I could drive home.

I was going to take it to Ed Voyles because Sean said they have much better techs.  I called Ed Voyles last week and they wouldn't let me make an appointment so my Jeep would have sat there 2 or 3 days before they could even get to it.  Then, the woman service writer I talked to couldn't guarantee me a loner rental - said it depended on the problem.  Basically the vibe I got from them is that I didn't buy my Jeep there and I wasn't getting their top notch service.

I've been dealing with Palmer forever and the service department is always crazy, but they've always done good work on both of my Jeeps.  Roberto in service always gives me the benefit of the doubt on warranty work as well (wifes WK2 had a rock or something take out the evaporator and it was fixed under warranty last month).

Now I'm rocking a Dodge Dart.  Hope they get it fixed before I leave for Daytona on Wednesday, but if not, at least I'll get great mileage.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: JKR at the dealer for rear locker
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
Hmm...a Dodge Dart...Daytona Edition, by Mike.

Good luck on the repair...a jeep on the beach has to be fun.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
I just got a call from Palmer, it needs a new locker and they are on national backorder.  They put the diff cover back on and filled with fresh fluid and told me to come get it and they'll call when they have the part.

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »
If its under warranty then I would wait for the part, If I was going to pay out of pocket, I see an opportunity for a one ton rear with arb locker
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
If its under warranty then I would wait for the part, If I was going to pay out of pocket, I see an opportunity for a one ton rear with arb locker

It's under warranty.  2014 with 28k miles.  Axles covered under 5yr/50k mi warranty.

If it wasn't under warranty, I'd be looking to build a junkyard axle. 

Did they say what was wrong with it?

Just said it needed a new locker.  I asked if there was any metal in there and he said no, it was clean. 

It's typical for the Rubicon e-locker actuator to go bad.  Since the actuator isn't a serviceable part, they have to replace the entire locker.   

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »
Update - I looked up the part number that the dealer ordered.  I've read, and some of you at AOP said that the actuator couldn't be ordered separate.  I guess Dana got tired of replacing so many 44 TruLoc carrier/locker assemblies.  The dealer ordered part number is 68312884AA and cost about $80.  No availability date and there are 32 orders waiting to be filled.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 06:17:35 PM »
So, the dealer ordered the part?

I'm sure Dana got tired of paying for gear setup in addition to the locker cost.  However, they probably rebuilt the lockers that got returned and shipped them back out as warranty replacements.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 06:32:52 PM »
So, the dealer ordered the part?

I'm sure Dana got tired of paying for gear setup in addition to the locker cost.  However, they probably rebuilt the lockers that got returned and shipped them back out as warranty replacements.

- Torg

Yes, part is on order.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »
While researching this issue, I ran across a thread some place where a guy changed the factory fluid (dino) to Mobile 1 and started having the problem.  He switch the Mobile 1 to Redline and the locker started operating normally again.

I switched to Mobile 1 at 20k miles and the JK now has 28k.  I'm probably going to change the front fluid to Redline.  Reasons:

1.  Just to be on the safe side.
2.  I have a 2015 Harley-Davidson Streetglide Speical (@tcdawg).  Finding neutral was a nightmare.  At the 1,000 mile service, I switched the transmission fluid to Redline.  Now, the trans will pop right into neutral when needed. 

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 01:51:26 PM »
Red Line 57904 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil - 1 Quart

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:34:08 PM »
I use Dino oil in my difs, cheap and easy to swap out. Read a Currie white paper that basically showed that Dino oil helped pull heat from the gears better than synthetic.

Whether it is really better or not, I don't know. I haven't exactly been the poster child for gear set longevity.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »
I think your experience leads me away from that oil. Time will tell.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM