BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Firearm Virgin  (Read 5849 times)

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
Firearm Virgin
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:26:54 PM »
So I've never owned a gun before.  Shot a few at the range but never actually owned one.  I'm going to start the process to get my firearms license but I thought I'd solicit the group for feedback on things I should do or be thinking about.  For example what's a good "beginner" pistol? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline zrxmopar

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Firearm Virgin
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
personally I think a good beginner pistol is one that fits your hand and is comfortable. I see a lot of people get a small caliber (which is fine) but get a very small framed gun. A full size frame .22 caliber is a good place to start. Like the S&W m&p22.  Or maybe a full size 9mm. my wife shot a small frame .22 at first but quickly stepped up to a ruger SR9 and found it to be more fun to shoot and she shot a lot better. Cant go wrong with a Glock either. If you would like to shoot some different guns we are going to be at Big Woods goods on sat. I have a few different models and calibers to shoot.
Shaun
ºlllllllº 2008 JK
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 24v
2022 Yamaha MT10

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 06:06:55 AM »
Go to a gun store and hold a lot of guns. Stay with a basic caliber that is easy to find ammo and check the price of ammo.
Is this for protection? Play ? Both
Are you going to carry it or leave it at home. These are all factors you need to look into. I personally buy Glocks mainly and stick to 9mm mainly for all my carry guns
Bobby

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:24:28 AM »
Don't get this. 

The first thing you need to do is to sign up for a basic safety course at a gun range.  It will cost about $150 and worth every penny.  Learn before you shoot.  The instructor will help you decide on a good weapon.

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:06:35 AM »
Oops looks like I put this in the classifieds.  #dumbass.  So I guess that means I need to pay you for your advice?

The Adventure Outdoor center in Smyrna is right up the street.  Sounds like I need to just get up there and sign up for a few classes.

Initially would just be for protection and if leave it at home until I'm more comfortable with it.

Thanks!

Dan
2013 JKU

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
A leave at home gun you can go bigger frame or full size which holds more ammo. The negative is a full size is heavier to carry on your body and harder to conceal. Shop around. You will find a lot better prices at other gun shops than you will at Adventure. Adventure has some bad history that most people don't know about but they will never get any money from me
Bobby

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
to get an idea of what to ask and what to shoot at a range, watch a few Youtube channels on carry and home defense guns, Hickock45 is a good one, he loves Glocks but is unbiased for the most part.. Shoots alot of different stuff, and knows his stuff. His favorite is probly a Glock19 tho, and thats what I just changed over to carrying daily.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »
I finally finished organizing my gun room at the house this past week.
Bobby

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
personally I think a good beginner pistol is one that fits your hand and is comfortable.
Go to a gun store and hold a lot of guns. Stay with a basic caliber that is easy to find ammo and check the price of ammo.
Is this for protection? Play ? Both
Are you going to carry it or leave it at home. These are all factors you need to look into. I personally buy Glocks mainly and stick to 9mm mainly for all my carry guns
I have daily carried a 1911 for 22 years. I also prescribe to the bug out bag and long gun in the automobile idea too.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »
I finally finished organizing my gun room at the house this past week.

The Ellijay Militia's Armory
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
Oops looks like I put this in the classifieds.  #dumbass.  So I guess that means I need to pay you for your advice?

The Adventure Outdoor center in Smyrna is right up the street.  Sounds like I need to just get up there and sign up for a few classes.

Initially would just be for protection and if leave it at home until I'm more comfortable with it.

Thanks!

I moved it to General Discussion.  No worries

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »
to get an idea of what to ask and what to shoot at a range, watch a few Youtube channels on carry and home defense guns, Hickock45 is a good one, he loves Glocks but is unbiased for the most part.. Shoots alot of different stuff, and knows his stuff. His favorite is probly a Glock19 tho, and thats what I just changed over to carrying daily.

I subscribe to that guys Youtube channel as well.  Seems to be good info.

Scotch00 is decent too

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM