BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: good deal on a dana 44 i think.  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Alex

• Visitor
Re: good deal on a dana 44 i think.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »
I think it should be fine.  If you think about it that little mount would break before anything else would.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
I think it should be fine.  If you think about it that little mount would break before anything else would.

I believe it should be fine too. I'm just really never that something's gonna be tweaked just a little bit, and I won't know it until I'm got it all together and under the Jeep. I gotta get him to accept a Pay Pal payment also.   ::)
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »
It's just a bit sketchy. The Rubi was in an accident, came to his body shop. This is what he told me: It was hit in the side and clipped the driver's rear wheel. Slightly warped the wheel and the impact ripped the track bar bracket off the axle. The insurance company didn't want to reuse this housing because liability of welding on the axle. They ordered a new axle (which he says came with the housing and differential (locker and gears). He says that nothing is wrong with the axle except the bracket. They used the breaks and shafts from this one and put them in the new one. If they really did that, then I don't think anything could be wrong with the hub. The axle would have tweaked before the hub I believe. So if this is what happened and they reused the shafts and breaks, the only thing I'm worried about is that the housing might be tweaked. And that would suck. But it is very possible that all the force passed through the housing and hit the weakest link in the system, the crappy welds on the track bar mount and that's where all the energy from the impact escaped.

The thing that makes me question it at all is that he doesn't want to use pay-pal. But I know plenty of folks who have never heard of it either. And I wouldn't really expect mechanics at a body shop to really fool around on the internet much either. (I know that the boss at my body shop can't even type.)

So anyways, Rotorhead is gonna be awesome and check the housing out in person for me since he lives pretty close. Thanks man!

But I won't be able to get any cash to this guy. So if Mike says everything looks good then I'll tell him I can get the money to him through Pay Pal. And I'll tell him how easy it is to set up an account and such. If he still says he wants cash then I'll just pass on it.

Wrecked?  What if it goes WHOMP....WHOMP...WHOMP... down the road after all of your work?  I'd pass.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
Sounds real sketchy. But if you dont buy it I will. {toast}
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »

Nice.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »

I'll buy it and you guys can use it. :D

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
I don't think I'm gonna buy it. It would be awesome if everything lined up perfectly, but if something is slightly tweaked it could be a real nightmare. And the thing is, I won't know for sure until I'm done putting all the work and money into it to make it complete, and I have it under the Jeep. Just something I can't fool around with right now. Funds are too tight. If it was a complete axle that just came from under a rig for a little more $ I would try to be all over it.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 03:51:21 PM »
You could easily sell off the ring and pinion along with the locker for close to the money you bought the axle for.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

BigJerm

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
Will I dont blame you at all man. Price is good and it COULD be a great deal but it could also be a pain in ass waiting to happen.

Chris Hyde

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
You could easily sell off the ring and pinion along with the locker for close to the money you bought the axle for.

What would the point be?

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 04:34:58 PM »

What would the point be?

I was saying if he bought it and it turns out that one of the axle tubes is messed up. Then at least he could recoup some of his funds.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »

What would the point be?

I was saying if he bought it and it turns out that one of the axle tubes is messed up. Then at least he could recoup some of his funds.

I still wouldn't really know how it's gonna ride until it's under the Jeep. And I couldn't have it ready until I spend a lot of time and some money on the brakes, and also pick up some axle shafts too. And there's no telling what I might find when I start stressing the housing and flexing it on the trail. I've just gotta make the decision to pass on this one. A little too sketchy for me at the moment. Thanks again Chris for the offer! Wish I could take you up on it. Believe that I'll be looking this summer.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM