BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: good deal on a dana 44 i think.  (Read 1436 times)

Chris Hyde

Re: good deal on a dana 44 i think.
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
You could easily sell off the ring and pinion along with the locker for close to the money you bought the axle for.

What would the point be?

I was saying if he bought it and it turns out that one of the axle tubes is messed up. Then at least he could recoup some of his funds.

I still wouldn't really know how it's gonna ride until it's under the Jeep. And I couldn't have it ready until I spend a lot of time and some money on the brakes, and also pick up some axle shafts too. And there's no telling what I might find when I start stressing the housing and flexing it on the trail. I've just gotta make the decision to pass on this one. A little too sketchy for me at the moment. Thanks again Chris for the offer! Wish I could take you up on it. Believe that I'll be looking this summer.

Youre welcome man.  I wish it could have been one of those goose bump deals.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »
You could easily sell off the ring and pinion along with the locker for close to the money you bought the axle for.

What would the point be?

I was saying if he bought it and it turns out that one of the axle tubes is messed up. Then at least he could recoup some of his funds.

I still wouldn't really know how it's gonna ride until it's under the Jeep. And I couldn't have it ready until I spend a lot of time and some money on the brakes, and also pick up some axle shafts too. And there's no telling what I might find when I start stressing the housing and flexing it on the trail. I've just gotta make the decision to pass on this one. A little too sketchy for me at the moment. Thanks again Chris for the offer! Wish I could take you up on it. Believe that I'll be looking this summer.

Youre welcome man.  I wish it could have been one of those goose bump deals.

I'll find something his summer.  Thanks again! And thanks to Mike too!
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline camper

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
Will, I just got home from work and saw that you sent me a private message about a rear dana 44.  I replied and then started poking around on ya'lls forum.  I think you are making the smart decision by passing on this axle.

As you know, two years ago, I picked up a rubicon rear end from an '03 model.  Up til now, I've never told anyone what I paid for it.  The day after you buy something, you find it on the internet for less....or someone tells you about some screaming deal they got.  Anyway, I had joined the local jeep club and I knew the fella that was selling the axle.  I knew all about why he was selling it and I knew where to go if I had any troubles.  He wanted $2000.  I said that was too much and thanked him for talking to me.  He said he felt he could get what he was asking. 

I kept reading.  I started adding up what it would cost to upgrade my dana 35 with 3.07 gears.  I wanted a bolt-in dana 44.  I didn't want a ford 8.8.  The rubicon axle was just across town and I could save freight/gas.  It brought the d44 pumpkin/ring gear, stock axle shafts that are bolted to the tubes instead of c-clips, 4.10 gear ratio, air locker with limited slip/posi function, and lastly, rear disc brakes.  It bolts right in my jeep with no modifications.  Those are all good things. 

On the other hand....Frankly, I would rather have a detroit locker and avoid the air pump.  I don't care one way or the other about the limited slip function.  In fact I read that it slightly weakens the locker and some rubicon guys swap a front locker into the rear.  I wasn't sure if 4.10 gears would make me happy, and whatever I went with, I'd have to change the front gears to match.  And it seems to be a sensible move to upgrade to harder aftermarket axle shafts.  At that time, $2000 was too much money for an indecisive purchase.

I kept looking for a dana 44 from a sport TJ or unlimited.  That would have been 3.73 gears and drum brakes.  So I would still want to regear it.  That still would be the best way to go if I could find one local and fairly priced.  I was thinking around $500.  I never found one local and the prices I saw were pretty high.  I saw where I could order one on the internet.  I could get a detroit locker, gears and alloy shafts.  I would reuse my dana 35 brakes.  I would pay freight.  Lots of money.....

I decided 33 inch tires were what I wanted.  I then found a front hi-pinion dana 30 with factory 4.10 gears.  It was reasonably priced and about 100 miles away.  I bought it and went back for the rubicon rear end.  He knew I'd be back after I did my homework.  I wouldn't have to pay for regearing.  I paid him the $2000.  Don't laugh.  I don't regret it all.  He's a good guy and we're now friends.  I've now seen them cheaper, usually sold with the front dana 44 for around $2500-$3000.  I wouldn't have wanted the front 44....and they're always in califonia, or texas, or atlanta.  I don't care anymore.  I got one now and it works great.

I bet the fella "chris" who was going to help you out, can help you out down the road with a ford 8.8 or a dana 44.  Your georgia group seems to be helpful crew.  Get your cash together and wait for the planets to align.  Decide what tire size you will want.  Then decide if you need something more than 4.10 gears.  Because you want to purchase a swap axle, one will fall your way before long.  If you get a rubicon rear, get it with all the parts, including the disc brakes.  If you find it close to home and it has everything you want, buy it.  Eventually, you have to pull the trigger and get what you want.  I recently discovered that jeeps are a lot of fun.  Happiness is worth more than the prices you read on the internet.   

Steve....'98 TJ sport

ranger11

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »
Camper says it just right. But what about the ranger guys ???

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 10:23:35 PM »
Camper says it just right. But what about the ranger guys ???

I know in the last line he meant that Jeeps are fun, but Rangers are his ecstasy!  ;D

Hey Camper, thanks for all the info. I've been needing to upgrade the rear for a long time. I've already done my lift (3") and 33 inch tires. These were the only major modifications that I did before I really started banging on my Jeep. When I bought the tires and lift I didn't think I would be putting it in situations that would cause breakage. I know now that those situations are the most fun  ;D I had heard all the stories about D35s and done a lot of research, and decided I didn't need to upgrade it immediately. I threw an Aussie locker in the front, but didn't wanna put any money in the 35. After going to Tellico a couple of times, seeing 3 different Dana 35s break at River Rock, and really wanting more traction, I've decided that I need a tougher rear end if I'm gonna keep doing this. I'll keep looking. And it won't be the end of the world if a good deal doesn't come about this summer. You learn how to drive when you're scared you're gonna break  :P
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM