BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year GATR!  (Read 947 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year GATR!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »
Merry Christmas to the Christians and a belated Happy Festivus for the rest of us.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 10:03:53 AM »
Merry Christmas
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
Did anyone get anything cool from Santa or family or a friend? 

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »
Merry Christmas!  Hope everyone is enjoying this white (legged) day as much as me.

Nothing too fancy from Santa.  A French press for my coffee which I'm excited about.  He will be bringing me a winch sometime soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »
Merry Christmas!  Hope everyone is enjoying this white (legged) day as much as me.

Nothing too fancy from Santa.  A French press for my coffee which I'm excited about.  He will be bringing me a winch sometime soon though.

which French press?  I have two, one is awesome, the other is not.  I'm always looking for better products.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone!
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year GATR!
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »

which French press?  I have two, one is awesome, the other is not.  I'm always looking for better products.

- Torg
I've been using the Clever Dripper and have quite enjoyed the coffee.  Never had a French Press before so this is a first for me.  I went with a one from Amazon to try it out so I went with a SterlingPro from Amazon.  So far so good.  Coffee tastes less bitter than the Dripper.  Be curious to hear your thoughts on presses in general.  Sounds like a good conversation once I get my ass out to a ride...

Edit added link...

SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press, 1 Liter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMQOZ1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_MBDFwbGG1KZ3Q

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:58:11 PM by BeerIAm »
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »

- Torg
I've been using the Clever Dripper and have quite enjoyed the coffee.  Never had a French Press before so this is a first for me.  I went with a one from Amazon to try it out so I went with a SterlingPro from Amazon.  So far so good.  Coffee tastes less bitter than the Dripper.  Be curious to hear your thoughts on presses in general.  Sounds like a good conversation once I get my ass out to a ride...

Edit added link...

SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press, 1 Liter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMQOZ1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_MBDFwbGG1KZ3Q

That is very similar to my good one.  I have a Frieling, but I'm not sure of the size.  The double wall allows the temp to be more stable than a glass sides press.  Preheating the press with hot water helps keep the temp stable during the brewing process.

Make sure your hot water is at the appropriate temperature (i follow the wait one minute after I stop it from boiling...thermometers are a PITA).  I use a baby feeding spoon to swirl the coffee in the water...it was more useful when I used a glass French Press, although a bit too short to get to the bottom of the press when scraping the grains out.  Be sure to add the water to the ground coffee, then mix them together vigorously.  The grind does matter with making the press (literally pressing the plunger) easier...play around with the grind if pressing the coffee is tough (likely too fine of a grind if pressing the plunger is tough).  I do 4 minutes of soak time before I press the plunger.

I'm into cold coffee, so I make my coffee strong, very strong.  A coffee geek friend of mine (former barista at Starbucks) says there is no better coffee than a good, fresh French Press....I wouldn't know since I don't drink hot coffee.

Are you grinding coffee fresh every time, or buying it ground at the store?

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »

- Torg

Edit added link...

That is very similar to my good one.  I have a Frieling, but I'm not sure of the size.  The double wall allows the temp to be more stable than a glass sides press.  Preheating the press with hot water helps keep the temp stable during the brewing process.

Make sure your hot water is at the appropriate temperature (i follow the wait one minute after I stop it from boiling...thermometers are a PITA).  I use a baby feeding spoon to swirl the coffee in the water...it was more useful when I used a glass French Press, although a bit too short to get to the bottom of the press when scraping the grains out.  Be sure to add the water to the ground coffee, then mix them together vigorously.  The grind does matter with making the press (literally pressing the plunger) easier...play around with the grind if pressing the coffee is tough (likely too fine of a grind if pressing the plunger is tough).  I do 4 minutes of soak time before I press the plunger.

I'm into cold coffee, so I make my coffee strong, very strong.  A coffee geek friend of mine (former barista at Starbucks) says there is no better coffee than a good, fresh French Press....I wouldn't know since I don't drink hot coffee.

- Torg
grinding it with a burr grinder on the coarse side.  I have not been stirring it.  Guess I need another cup right now to try that (forgot).  I too like it a little stronger and so far it's been on the weaker side.  Could be my beans too as I haven't used this particular roast before.  I also might need to add more grounds.

Dan
2013 JKU

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »

- Torg

Edit added link...

- Torg
grinding it with a burr grinder on the coarse side.  I have not been stirring it.  Guess I need another cup right now to try that (forgot).  I too like it a little stronger and so far it's been on the weaker side.  Could be my beans too as I haven't used this particular roast before.  I also might need to add more grounds.

The stirring should make things better, stronger; Stir long enough to get a thin froth on top.  I use a lot of coffee grounds.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »
Merry Christmas!! I got a 4wp gift card that Ill be using to buy the KC cyclone rock lights.
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM