BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: What I learned about brisket, and my smoker, this weekend  (Read 4856 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
What I learned about brisket, and my smoker, this weekend
« on: December 27, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
I've cooked a few briskets in the past, but I never actually understood the meat due to being consumed with just getting the rub correct and watching the temperature of the meat and the cooker (off-set smoker).  This time I decided to go simple and follow a Texas-style seasoning with a promise to not open the door on the smoker to check the meat.

Meat:
I looked at Publix, but their meat was $6.99 per pound and didn't state if it was Prime (ha), Choice, Select, or worse, so I moved along.  Based on a sign I saw in Publix today, their meat is Choice.  Next stop was Costco, with a planned stop at the local butcher in Acworth.  Costco had 7 to 10 lbs Choice brisket for $4.99/lb.  Since 7 was about what I wanted to cook, I decided to just grab one there.  Brisket in the hand made me not go to the butcher...next time I will start there armed with much more knowledge.  The fat on the meat was about 1/2" in some spots and between 1/8" and 1/4" for most of it.  I trimmed the 1/2" down to 1/4"-ish.

Seasoning:
I ground up some pepper, coarse, and mixed it with salt, then I rubbed it into the meat and on the fat cap and on the sides.

Cooking:
As you may know, I have an electric smoker (Masterbuilt).  A while back I purchased the side smoke generator which is an electric element that heats up wood chips which are gravity fed from a chimney.  Supposedly the chimney will hold about 2 hours worth of chips, but my experience was that after an hour the gravity portion would stop working because the tar that built up from the smoke that went out of the chimney would block the chips from falling and then no smoke production occurred.  Another GATR member recently purchased an electric smoker and was considering the side smoker, but I explained to him that it wasn't great due to the problem I described above (you basically have to stoke it every hour).  He pointed me to a DIY mailbox smoker using an A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS...look it up) thing, so while the meat was seasoning I went to Lowe's and grabbed the stuff needed to make it.  I had already gone to Cabela's and purchased the AMNPS and some pellets (pecan wood).  The AMNPS supposedly burns for up to 12 hours (at 6 hours it was almost halfway through the burn, so I believe 12 hours to be reasonable).

Finally, the thing is assembled and it's time to put the meat on the grate...but do I do fat side up or down?  Instructions I was reading (after I put the meat down) said fat side up...so flip it over since that was not my first instinct.  Then let's let this baby go for 12-ish hours.  At 2:15-ish I put the temp probe in, set the timer to 16 hours to ensure it wouldn't cut short, set the temp to 225*, and, since this is a lazy smoker, go watch some TV...and take a long nap. 

After the nap, and some web surfing, I check the meat temp and it is 157* (7:30pm).  It must be stalled...right?  Seems good to me, so just a few more hours, it will break the stall, and move on.

9pm...still at 157*.  Midnight...still at 157*.  1:30am...moved to 159* (thank god, stall is over and now it will keep going while I sleep).  Surf the web a bit more and go to sleep at about 2:30am.  To ensure I don't burn it up, I set my alarm for every two hours (genius...I know).

4:30am...165*, but at least it is higher than before...just really slow and perhaps a second stall.

6:30am...168*...damn...slow to go up.  Reading the web indicates maybe I need to raise the temp to push the through stall...and I'm concerned about rain that is supposed to come at 11am, so I decide to bump it to 235*.

By now, some of the smarter folks have probably figured out what is going on, but this genius is still not aware of the damn problem.

7:45am...the meat is at 172*.  I decide to bump it to 275* per many posts I saw on the Internet.  Keep in mind, all of these adjustments and measurements have been while using the bluetooth application from my bedroom...not actually looking at the machine itself.

8am-ish I go down to the machine to check it out.  Meat is around 175*.  So I look at the dial thermometer I put in the thing near the beginning and it is reading 225*...the digital thermometer is reading 275*...problem identified!

From there it climbs at about 1 degree every 5 minutes.  I take it up to 203* and pray it won't be dust when I cut into it.

Resting:
I wrap the meat in foil and put it in a faux Cambro for 3 hours.  The meat temp probe pulled out of the meat like butta, and the meat was floppy when I grabbed it, so my hope are pretty high it will not be a total disaster...at worst we have to make 5 gallons of Brunswick stew :)

Planning the Cut:
By this time I've read so many expert articles on brisket that I know it is comprised of three to four major components:
1) the flat; 2) the point; 3) the fat cap; and questionably 4) the connective tissue between the flat and the point.

I am also aware the flat and point grains do not run in exactly the same direction.  So I search for instructions on cutting and find one where the point is cut off the flat, then each is sliced separately, always cutting across the grain (not with the grain).  I decide to go for this approach since I may need this meat to be as easy to chew as possible, which is achieved by cutting across the grain.  Additionally, I should cut it at an angle, too...but...

Judgment Time:
I unwrap the meat, place it on a carving board, cut off the point (the section that has the fat cap) and place it aside for later.  I cut the flat against the grain and sample it.  Not too bad...not as moist as I dreamed, but definitely edible.  Tasty for sure.  I neglect to cut at an angle...ooops.  I cut a few slices and then stop cutting so it won't completely dry out.

Then I cut the point... and sample it.  Holy crap, this is the most heavenly cut of meat in the world!  The rendered fat and succulent meat are freaking amazing.  Then I realize...there isn't very much point available...f&#k!  Next time, I'll be ordering a lot of points!

Kell comes down and tastes it...she approves, which is not always the case, so I know it is good, possibly great!

Picture time:
Mailbox Mod:
IMG_20151226_141200531 by Clark GATR, on Flickr

AMNPS:
IMG_20151226_210343549 by Clark GATR, on Flickr

Cooked Product:
IMG_20151227_103343916 by Clark GATR, on Flickr

Finished Product (notice no smoke ring...lazy ain't perfect):
2015-12-27_02-12-06 by Clark GATR, on Flickr

Next Time:
I'll probably do it fat down, just to see what happens.  I will stick with the salt and pepper rub...simple, easy...and it lets the meat shine.  I also read a lot of articles about letting the meat cold age for 30 to 40 days in the cryovac packaging in a fridge...I may get a brisket soon to let it age a bit for next month's cook.  I will definitely talk to my local butcher to see about getting Prime, but price will make a difference since I know the Choice from Costco is pretty decent.  Getting extra 'points' might sway me to the butcher, if that is possible...at a reasonable price.  I will also figure out the temp issue...either adjust like I did this time, or figure out how to fix it.  I could return the unit, but I really don't want to do that, so I'll start at customer service and go from there.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
Re: What I learned about brisket, and my smoker, this weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
nice clark, my dad made it in a small smoker back in texas.   he did something like letting the meat age over a few weeks before cooking.  but not sure how or what he did, never asked him before he died.

looks really tasty, looking forward to you bringing some on a jeep ride so we can all sample.  :) 
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
Mmmm, love me some brisket. Looks good.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »
Nice Clark. Brisket is a tough one.  I rushed a flat last time and ruined it.
Jay

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
What I learned about brisket, and my smoker, this weekend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
Brisket is hard to get right it but once you do, it's be best so smoked meat you'll ever eat.

Not a lot to comment about on your write up, you covered it all. But:

1.  Fat side up or down, totally preference. Try both and figure it out for yourself. I do fat side up. Proud that you trimmed yours, that is important

2. Look at Publix for small Briskets. They have real good meat. Butcher shop will be real high priced if you go to the one on 41 and Mars Hill in Acworth. The name escapes me. Good meat but very high priced.

3. If the stall freaks you out, you can foil wrap when the meat gets to about 155 and that will push through the stall faster. Wrap it tight. Unwrap at 180 and finish to 200-205.  I only wrap if time is an issue.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:06:38 PM by tcdawg »

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
We're about to sear some fresh yellow fin Tuna we caught today.  I've eaten a lot but never seared my own.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »
We're about to sear some fresh yellow fin Tuna we caught today.  I've eaten a lot but never seared my own.

you know to seat the filet and then slice it.  Ask me how I know..LOL

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
This morning Kell requested another brisket.  Of course, Costco is closed, so I'm suffering through a brisket flat from publix.  I didn't realize it was just a flat until I got home; My hopes for this one aren't as high as last time.  It is Choice, but I'm going to miss 'the point'.

I'll watch the chamber temp a lot closer this time so it can be done in a reasonable about of time, but I'm going low, slow, and no opening the door until it is done.  Salt and pepper rub, just like last time.

I'll be bringing some tomorrow for lunch, if it is decent.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
This morning Kell requested another brisket.  Of course, Costco is closed, so I'm suffering through a brisket flat from publix.  I didn't realize it was just a flat until I got home; My hopes for this one aren't as high as last time.  It is Choice, but I'm going to miss 'the point'.

I'll watch the chamber temp a lot closer this time so it can be done in a reasonable about of time, but I'm going low, slow, and no opening the door until it is done.  Salt and pepper rub, just like last time.

- Torg

Can't tell if it's a lefty or righty?
I think it is a right side...time to turn off the smoker and throw the meat away.

I'll try again on Sunday.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
The flat is the cut that I screwed up. Let us know how it is
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
The flat is the cut that I screwed up. Let us know how it is
I will attempt to never do that again.  A full brisket at Costco is roughly 70% flat and 5 percent point with the rest being fat (and $4.99/lb).  This thing is 90% flat and ten % fat (and $6.99/lb).  The point is the best part, by far, because it is infused with fat (think rib eye steak) and is very tender.  However, the flat part of the last one was good.  It was strange tough, half of the flat was more moist than the other half...and it self separated the dryer stuff from the moist stuff (like split right between the two parts of the flat).

I'll see what happens with this one and report back, later tonight.

I think I figured out the temperature issue...my water pan was radiating heat towards the probe, or directly the heat to the probe.  I like the extra moisture, so I'm just compensating by adjusting the smoker temp higher, even though it will yield 225 at the meat.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

- Torg

I have cooked a number of the flats from Publix and been pleased w them.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM