BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: What I learned about brisket, and my smoker, this weekend  (Read 4917 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: What I learned about brisket, and my smoker, this weekend
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
I broke my rule and opened the door  and turned it over to put the fat cap on top for the rest of the time.  I wanted to get a look at the color...it isn't black like last time...more of a pretty red color.  It had about the flex as the last one.  It's cooking really quick this time, which concerns me, but I'll continue it to 203*.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »
Done..except the wait for the rest.  2.5 hours to find out it is a total disaster or a the most beautiful brisket ever.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »

Done..except the wait for the rest.  2.5 hours to find out it is a total disaster or a the most beautiful brisket ever.

- Torg

You rest it 2.5 hours?  20 minutes is enough. But you can much longer if it's wrapped up and in a cooler.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »

- Torg

You rest it 2.5 hours?  20 minutes is enough. But you can much longer if it's wrapped up and in a cooler.
ok, this highlights what I was about to post as a new thread, but since it's here, let's get it underway.

I've been calling it resting, which is incorrect...it's holding.  I hold it in a cooler after I've wrapped it in foil.  I place a towel below it and above it during the holding period.

The topic of resting has had some research done, which is in this thread, but which is not dedicated to just low and slow bbq as it mainly focuses on higher heat, lower meat temp cooking:  http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

The thing, out of all of that text, that caught my eye, stomach, and *heart* was the ribeye vertical of various dry aged beef durations!  Man, I would love to do a ribeye vertical at a great steak joint!  I used to have a "before I die" desire for pressed duck at Daniel NYC, but now I think it would be a ribeye vertical!

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »

- Torg

ok, this highlights what I was about to post as a new thread, but since it's here, let's get it underway.

I've been calling it resting, which is incorrect...it's holding.  I hold it in a cooler after I've wrapped it in foil.  I place a towel below it and above it during the holding period.

The topic of resting has had some research done, which is in this thread, but which is not dedicated to just low and slow bbq as it mainly focuses on higher heat, lower meat temp cooking:  http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

- Torg

I learned a lot in that article. Great post

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 09:34:16 PM »

- Torg

How did it come out?

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 10:39:08 PM »

- Torg

How did it come out?
I think it's pretty good.  Initially I thought it was as moist as the last one I did, but I think it's a bit drier.  I ate a good bit of it and didn't use any sauce...it tastes great and is moist enough to not need sauce.  I avoid using sauce if possible. The fat rendered very well.

Kell skipped dinner, except for black eyed peas, cornbread, and collard greens (gotta eat those things), so I won't get the critical review results for a while. 

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 10:43:53 PM »

- Torg

How did it come out?
I think it's pretty good.  Initially I thought it was as moist as the last one I did, but I think it's a bit drier.  I ate a good bit of it and didn't use any sauce...it tastes great and is moist enough to not need sauce.  I avoid using sauce if possible. The fat rendered very well.

Kell skipped dinner, except for black eyed peas, cornbread, and collard greens (gotta eat those things), so I won't get the critical review results for a while. 

- Torg
"Skip" dinner.

I don't understand

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »

- Torg

How did it come out?

- Torg
"Skip" dinner.

I don't understand
me either...I also don't understand people who "forget to eat".  WTF...how do you forget to eat?  Never happened to me...ever, but I work with a guy who forgets to eat.  Yep, he weighs about 150 and is 6'1".

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM