BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Whole Brisket from Kroger  (Read 3402 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Whole Brisket from Kroger
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
Any of you ever had experience with Kroger's Private Selection Whole Brisket?  I grabbed one today, but I can't determine its grade.  I'll cook, and eat it, but I wanted to know what I should expect.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: Whole Brisket from Kroger
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »
The one that is shrink wrapped?  No. Let us know what you think of it.

I have had Kroger brisket from their butcher and prefer the Publix briskit.

I really like the Briskets from Findley's Butcher shop in Acworth but they are super proud of them. $9.99 a pound I think. Might have been $8.99...still a lot. 

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 05:44:55 PM »
I won't buy Krogers meat. I bought some ground beef, noticed it was a week over date & it was as red as the day I bought it.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
@tcdawg This was Cryovaced, but I noticed it is "select" which means it is closer to taco bell than Ruth's Chris.  Oh well, I'm in now.

It was relatively inexpensive per pound in the package (3.99), but after cutting down the fat (trimming), it was roughly 4.50/lbs. 

I wanted a packer brisket (whole brisket) and couldn't find one at publix, Costco, whole foods, or Wal-Mart.  I'll sill do my best with it and hope it is tolerable.  I'll also make a note to avoid Kroger. @bigprince

I'm doing normal prep; salt & pepper, and a pinch of love.

More information to come tomorrow.  I put the smoker in my shed...I hope it can maintain the temp tonight.

- Torg
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:12:24 PM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:29:06 PM »
I have tried one of the Wal Mart cryosealed Briskets and it was that same Select and same price. It came out very tasty, all that ate it loved it. But I was disappointed personally.

Kind of hard to explain but it was really good but not f***ing awesome.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »
I won't buy Krogers meat. I bought some ground beef, noticed it was a week over date & it was as red as the day I bought it.
Not to there defense but maybe they didn't program the date correctly or forgot. They probably have to set different dates for different items.

On a different note, anyone looked into ageing meat? I might start looking into it.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »
Not to there defense but maybe they didn't program the date correctly or forgot. They probably have to set different dates for different items.

On a different note, anyone looked into ageing meat? I might start looking into it.

The next time I find whole brisket of choice or prime in the Cryovac, then I plan to grab a couple of them and put them in the fridge for a few weeks.  That's the only aging I'm currently planning to do.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 10:17:16 PM »

The next time I find whole brisket of choice or prime in the Cryovac, then I plan to grab a couple of them and put them in the fridge for a few weeks.  That's the only aging I'm currently planning to do.
Well its more involved than that. I don't know that your fridge will allow it to survive that long. Heat, light, and oxygen degrade food.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 10:30:42 PM »

Well its more involved than that. I don't know that your fridge will allow it to survive that long. Heat, light, and oxygen degrade food.
I guess I need to research it better!  thx
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:28:22 PM »

It was in my fridge for about 2 weeks. I can't seem to keep meat more than a few days before it starts to loose it's red color.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »
Ok, I finished the brisket this morning.  Very fatty, but the meat samples I had were good.  I'll find out for sure at dinner tonight.

I cooked some ribs this morning...I thought they were terrible, Kell said they're ok.  I would have returned them if served to me at a restaurant (tough, boring flavor).  Oh well.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
Sound like ribs didn't get to the rendering temp.  Restaurants serve racks.  I like to serve rib meat that fell off of the bones.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM