OTHER INTERESTS > Grillin' & Chillin'

My First Butt

<< < (3/3)

prjohnson:
Thanks for the input!

DOUG:
Prep is important.  We rub our butts with mustard and cover with our favorite rub from rebel butcher supply.  Buy it by the case.  Chill over night.  Put on by 8am, and it's at temp around 4, rests until 6, enjoy for supper and sandwiches for a week.

Another thing I do sometimes is after 2 hours in the foil is open it up and put an entire bottle of BBQ sauce on it.  Just pour it on and dump it in.  Cover well.  It does good things. 

I cook with a remote thermometer that reaches a few doors down, that provides grill and internal temp.  Pull it at 197 usually.

I really want a CyberQ but can't figure out how to make it wrap it at 4 hours, so the remote is fine, and I'll probably settle for the temp control like some buds have.

tcdawg:

--- Quote from: Doug on January 11, 2016, 03:47:17 PM ---I do 2 on the XL in 8 hours... 4 open in the smoke and 4 wrapped.

--- End quote ---

Doug, what is the bark on yours like when you foil wrap for the last 4 hours?

I have never wrapped. I like a good crust on mine.

DOUG:

--- Quote from: tcdawg on January 13, 2016, 11:31:41 AM ---

--- Quote from: Doug on January 11, 2016, 03:47:17 PM ---I do 2 on the XL in 8 hours... 4 open in the smoke and 4 wrapped.

--- End quote ---

Doug, what is the bark on yours like when you foil wrap for the last 4 hours?

I have never wrapped. I like a good crust on mine.

--- End quote ---

It develops well in the first 4 hours, so very similar, but probably not as thick as if not wrapped...very tasty, but a good crust if you don't drown it in sauce like I do sometimes.  We like that too.  IMO the wrapping helps reach the desired temp faster and holds more moisture in. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version