BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Smoking a Chicken  (Read 2124 times)

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
Smoking a Chicken
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:50 AM »
So, everyone loved my Butt  //;D// this past weekend, that my wife wants me to smoke a Chicken. I imagine it's not going to take 24 hours like the butt did, but how long should I expect? Give me all pointers you can think of. Any recipes, a good brine, or whatever else.

Thanks.
Perry

Offline jc79

• Visitor
Smoking a Chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »
I like to butterfly (sometimes called spatchcock) whole chickens and turkeys. Cut the backbone out and flip it back over. I cook at 350 and it always takes right at an hour and ten minutes for a chicken. I go as high above the coals as possible and direct heat.

Take the time to do an hour of a basic brine (sugar and salt) and you're pretty much guaranteed a tasty bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:59:34 AM by jc79 »
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Smoking a Chicken
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
We do stand up beer chicken almost every weekend for some meal at the lake... delicious moist mouth watering chicken.

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »
The title is misleading. I clicked on expecting to find a much different subject.

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:50 AM »
The title is misleading. I clicked on expecting to find a much different subject.

I'd hate to know what you thought if you clicked my other topic "My First Butt."

Perry

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
Basically I forgot to check back prior to starting the bird. Had a few cocktails & threw some stuff together. Brined the chicken, then used a basic rub that I can't quite remember. I wasn't sure about the smoking temp, so I just stuck with the same 230/240 I used for the Butt. I smoked it for a couple hours, but It just didn't feel right. I took it out & wrapped it in bacon & brushed honey all over it, then put it back on the smoker. I was worried the honey would take on too much smoke, so I cut that off for the remainder of the time. Once I felt the bacon the had cooked all the way, I covered it in BBQ sauce & left it. This chicken took about 10 hours! I was worried it would have dried out, but it was perfect. The smoke flavor was just right & the bacon had candied. It Really wish I had some pictures this time, but it turned out excellent!
Perry

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
Basically I forgot to check back prior to starting the bird. Had a few cocktails & threw some stuff together. Brined the chicken, then used a basic rub that I can't quite remember. I wasn't sure about the smoking temp, so I just stuck with the same 230/240 I used for the Butt. I smoked it for a couple hours, but It just didn't feel right. I took it out & wrapped it in bacon & brushed honey all over it, then put it back on the smoker. I was worried the honey would take on too much smoke, so I cut that off for the remainder of the time. Once I felt the bacon the had cooked all the way, I covered it in BBQ sauce & left it. This chicken took about 10 hours! I was worried it would have dried out, but it was perfect. The smoke flavor was just right & the bacon had candied. It Really wish I had some pictures this time, but it turned out excellent!

10 hour chicken, wrapped in hone and bacon...epic

BUT, I hate to be the bearer of bad news:    Pic's or it didn't happen :)

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »
I wish I had some when it was done.

Perry

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »

Good save with the pics.

I still haven't done a whole chicken in the egg yet. I'd like to get one from Cajun Specialty Meats that's already stuffed. Damn, now I'm hungry.

Jay

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »

Damn nice work right there

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM