BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Consideration of Non-Hardcore Off-road Vehicle  (Read 2274 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Consideration of Non-Hardcore Off-road Vehicle
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 12:10:33 PM »
Dealers see it every day

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »
I think there are 2 possible paths.

1.  Get a new basic JKU that you know you are going to mod and swap out axles on.

2.  Get a rubicon with all the bells and whistles and creature comforts knowing you are going to stay with the  D44's and just enjoy the hell out of it. (This is the path I am likely taking when the time is right).
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
Just last weekend when Clark was over at the house when Christian and I were installing the Metal Cloak lift on his JKUR, I told Clark that he'd get an idea of how easy the lift is to install when he gets a JKU.  He said NEVER!

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »
Just last weekend when Clark was over at the house when Christian and I were installing the Metal Cloak lift on his JKUR, I told Clark that he'd get an idea of how easy the lift is to install when he gets a JKU.  He said NEVER!

So true! 

But at this point, I'm on the mental path of making my TJ better looking and generally more useful (bath, rear quarter panels, maybe a set of 37" MTRs or PBRs on alloys, and maybe a paint job).  I think this will get me far enough along that I could do what I want (drive it to work, forest service rides, and still swap out to the Reds for more intense crawling), but just have to pack well if I ever did an overland trip, or devise some nifty storage solutions.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Consideration of Non-Hardcore Off-road Vehicle
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »
John, consider this though. I pulled one of the highest priced rubicons vs low priced sport. Obviously you can get more off of these, but the difference is still there. One advantage to buying Rubi is financing if needed.

For nearly 30k budget you could build the shit out of a sport with top of the line stuff.

Rough numbers likely on the high end:

Big axles - $11k
Custom Suspension - $7k (?)
Cage - $4k
Rubi tranny- $1200
Interior audio/video, leather etc - $2k

That's $25k on the conservative end. Still have $5k left for wheels, tires, armor. Subtract minimal amount for sale of take offs.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:32:54 PM by Raisinhead »
Jay

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
Thinking I said the same think a few pages back

But TJs rule JKUs drool
Ha
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »

Thinking I said the same think a few pages back

But TJs rule JKUs drool
Ha

You did. So did Don on the other thread I think. I just wanted to tie dollar amounts to it.

Four kids man, TJ when I have an empty nest. Plus storage...
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »
John, consider this though. I pulled one of the highest priced rubicons vs low priced sport. Obviously you can get more off of these, but the difference is still there. One advantage to buying Rubi is financing if needed.

For nearly 30k budget you could build the shit out of a sport with top of the line stuff.

Rough numbers likely on the high end:

Big axles - $11k
Custom Suspension - $7k (?)
Cage - $4k
Rubi tranny- $1200
Interior audio/video, leather etc - $2k

That's $25k on the conservative end. Still have $5k left for wheels, tires, armor. Subtract minimal amount for sale of take offs.

That is the Rubicon X...which only exists to extract the most cash from people who want to buy the 'top of the line' Wrangler.  Seriously, go look at what you get for the extra $4K charged for the X package...it's incredible that they can sleep at night.  shame, shame

I can't imagine getting anything above the basic Rubicon package; The goal being to get the transfer case and locked 44s.  I do question getting a Rubicon if you know you're going to re-gear it almost immediately...but then re-sale value comes into play.  If i pulled the trigger on this path, it would be a 'lifetime' Jeep for me, not one I would look to get rid of in a few years, so I would strongly consider a used 'sport' and then build the crap out of it.  Then I think, hmm, why not a 2007 and drop an LS in it.  Then I think, why not a JK and convert it to a JL and drop an LS in it.  Then I'm at $50K for a 2007 toy...WTF :) 

Downward spiral begins and the thread gets derailed from non-hardcore to absolutely hardcore.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »
Even the basic rubicon is more that the 11k for axles, add s couple grand for a transfer case, optional in my mind...

The rest of the money your spending anyway. Wheels, tires, list, ....

Unless you want the fancy interior, then add a few grand to the sport.

Sure you can recoup some wheel and tire cash, took me a long time and ended up trading for a glock and a few hundred rounds.

But I digress

Back to work
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
Yes to all of that^^^

I didn't get detailed on the search, just went to both ends of the spectrum when sorted by price.

JKL LS would so freaking insane, but that doesn't solve your "overland", space issue. If you go used, 11 is the first year of newer interior, 12 has 3.6 (non factor with LS). 

I had a similar discussion with a high end muscle car shop a while back. They get several new vettes brought to them to basically make race cars. New motors, suspension, etc. They had about 10 cars put back, all over 750 hp. He explained that he doesn't understand when people buy Z06 or ZR1s to get built. Same concept, typically the way I think.
Jay

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »
When I ordered my '14 Rubicon (2 door - you know, real Jeep), I looked for about a month before that for a very slightly used mall crawler Rubicon.  I came across a couple and really wish I'd pulled the trigger on one of them even though it was in California.  It was a 2 door JKR, black, 37's, Rock Krawler 3.5", Poly HD ball joints, Tie Rod, Drag Link, Artec front and rear, PSC BFH bumpers and a winch.  It was a 2013 with about 12k miles on it.  I can't remember the price but it was in the low 40's.  The guy said it had never been offroad.  If it had, it didn't show up in the pics.  The only downside it was a 6sp manual. 

There was also a killer deal on a decked out white '13 JKUR in Atlanta.  I didn't like the Rubicon Express lift but the rest of everything was PSC, bumpers, fenders, rocker knockers, etc.  It was priced right

Moral of the story - find someone that bought it new, didn't drive it much but put tons of money into it.  Best way to buy a Harley too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:30:03 PM by BigMike »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Consideration of Non-Hardcore Off-road Vehicle
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
Clark
What is coming on the JL model that interests you?  I'll admit, I have not kept up at all with the new models.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:29:11 PM by tcdawg »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM