BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Consideration of Non-Hardcore Off-road Vehicle  (Read 2351 times)

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
Re: Consideration of Non-Hardcore Off-road Vehicle
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2016, 07:40:44 AM »
Jeremy at RockKrawler just picked this up for his family rig build now that his daughter is about ready to join up says mom.

If you're going to build a jk...

Half doors

That's a great color choice.
Perry

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
I didn't have the heart to show him the dealer ad for it. They had it listed for $23k

when i see people do this im like "do you not have a computer" wtf.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
This is a little off from the non-hardcore overland type rig, but this would make a great Ultimate Adventure rig. As long as the tires are radials which is what they look like in the video.  42s and no comp cut on a JKU.

http://youtu.be/zC95I0izG9M

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2016, 09:06:02 PM »
42's and no comp cut JK FTW!  @BigPrince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »

This is a little off from the non-hardcore overland type rig, but this would make a great Ultimate Adventure rig. As long as the tires are radials which is what they look like in the video.  42s and no comp cut on a JKU.

He peeled that Rocker Knocker slider like a potato didn't he. Damn

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »

So do you do a set of sticky's on 17s and a set of road tires like some nittos on 20s OR do you do a great in between tire like a pit bull radial?

Those 41.5s on 20s look good.... I know they won't perform like a 41.5 on a 17...

I like the idea of two sets of tires/wheels. Stickies and a set of good all around radials. While a good compromise tire, the Pit bull radials just won't perform like a set of stickies will for the hard stuff IMO.

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
Two sets is clearly "better" but is also less convenient. If the stickies are mounted and it's a nice day, what are the chances you'll swap them for a drive around town?

If the street tires are mounted and you have a longer than expected week of travel, are you gonna swap them before the trip or throw them on the trailer?

Gotta have a place to store them, too.

So definitely some downsides but if you can live with them you're gonna enjoy the jeep that much more.

Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »

So do you do a set of sticky's on 17s and a set of road tires like some nittos on 20s OR do you do a great in between tire like a pit bull radial?

Those 41.5s on 20s look good.... I know they won't perform like a 41.5 on a 17...

I like the idea of two sets of tires/wheels. Stickies and a set of good all around radials. While a good compromise tire, the Pit bull radials just won't perform like a set of stickies will for the hard stuff IMO.

Those tires sucked on his ride.  I am just not impressed with PBRs...except the ones Danny has, which I saw glue themselves to the rock at Golden on Honey Bee.

I love that build/look for the JKU...which is built a bit bigger than I would do for an overland vehicle, but it looks awesome.  I saw/heard three things in that video that stood out to me:  1) awesome f'n rock playland he was in; 2) the clanging he had going no needs to be stopped; 3) he was not geared low enough (or it further confirmed my dislike for automatics)...seemed like he was either on the gas or hitting brakes way too much...lots of herky-jerky movement.

Two sets is clearly "better" but is also less convenient. If the stickies are mounted and it's a nice day, what are the chances you'll swap them for a drive around town?

If the street tires are mounted and you have a longer than expected week of travel, are you gonna swap them before the trip or throw them on the trailer?

Gotta have a place to store them, too.

So definitely some downsides but if you can live with them you're gonna enjoy the jeep that much more.

I am going to get a set of non-stickies for the TJ, in addition to my stickies.  I'm leaning heavily toward BFG Blue Labels so I can street them but still perform very well in the rocks.  That video confirmed for me that PBRs are off the list of possibilities.  I still have MTR/Ks and KM2s on the list, plus the Krawlers.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2016, 10:20:17 PM »
Yeah he was lurching a lot. Did you see me doing that in Moab??  It's not the auto. It's either gearing, skill/experience/feel... Or both.

Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2016, 10:23:17 PM »
I like my PBR's but I am considering a second set of wheels/tires and looking  at a set of 40" Treps for my stickies.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2016, 11:15:15 PM »
Yeah he was lurching a lot. Did you see me doing that in Moab??  It's not the auto. It's either gearing, skill/experience/feel... Or both.

Yeah, I was thinking gears, but I could see skill being a part of it.

I like my PBR's but I am considering a second set of wheels/tires and looking  at a set of 40" Treps for my stickies.

I just couldn't remember how well yours connected, but I've seen some others just not do it. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »
Speaking of overland vehicles...

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/5445676550.html

Love it! 

really wish i wouldnt have seen this. would trade the LJ in a second if it werent in the great white north..
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM