BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Big Green Egg - no more debate  (Read 8510 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Big Green Egg - no more debate
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
Roswell Hardware is right down the street from my house.  I was in there on Sunday looking for something and looked at their HUGE display of BGE's and accessories.  Since 90% of the time, I grill for just 2 or 3 people, I'm thinking the Large would be the right size.  They're running a sale now and the Large BGE, next, ash dohicky, 20# charcoal, and grill grabber is $799.  Looking at the accessories it looks like someone could go broke on those alone.  Must haves are a cover and shelves.  What else?

I'm still debating.  I have to replace my grill in the spring.  I probably use it 3x a week.  Then there is the whole learning curve. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:25:06 PM by tcdawg »

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Re: Big Green Egg - still debating
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
That's a good deal.  The large will be fine for you. You can cook more than you'd expect in a large.

You can get accessories for much less, especially if you buy off brand stuff. I have a loof lighter that I think is okay, but think I'm going to switch to a map torch.

Lastly, do it already. Learning curve is easy. People actually think I know how to cook occasionally.
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »
Roswell Hardware is right down the street from my house.  I was in there on Sunday looking for something and looked at their HUGE display of BGE's and accessories.  Since 90% of the time, I grill for just 2 or 3 people, I'm thinking the Large would be the right size.  They're running a sale now and the Large BGE, next, ash dohicky, 20# charcoal, and grill grabber is $799.  Looking at the accessories it looks like someone could go broke on those alone.  Must haves are a cover and shelves.  What else?

I'm still debating.  I have to replace my grill in the spring.  I probably use it 3x a week.  Then there is the whole learning curve. 

I think I saw a similar price with nest and wings and some other stuff at Cooks Warehouse in Marietta/Roswell (near Merchant's Walk).

Damn, 2 to 3 times a week is pretty intense...The egg seems like a perfect choice since it is a lifetime cooker.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
If you use it 3x a week you'll get your money's worth quickly.  And you won't have to replace it for a very long time. 

It takes 10-15 minutes to be ready to cook, but most of that is waiting for it to reach temp once you've lit the charcoal.  I say go for it if you're intrigued.  If you don't like it there's gonna be someone ready to buy it from you and you're not out much money.
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »
If you use it 3x a week you'll get your money's worth quickly.  And you won't have to replace it for a very long time. 

It takes 10-15 minutes to be ready to cook, but most of that is waiting for it to reach temp once you've lit the charcoal.  I say go for it if you're intrigued.  If you don't like it there's gonna be someone ready to buy it from you and you're not out much money.

And that is the reason to buy a BGE versus another product...just like with Jeep parts, good brands are always worth something later.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »

And that is the reason to buy a BGE versus another product...just like with Jeep parts, good brands are always worth something later.

Truth!

The one thing I need to do is make sure the meat doesn't have a smokey taste of the wife will veto the purchase.  The guy at Roswell Hardware said to use some sugar maple charcoal. 

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »

Truth!

The one thing I need to do is make sure the meat doesn't have a smokey taste of the wife will veto the purchase.  The guy at Roswell Hardware said to use some sugar maple charcoal.

My kids don't like smokey taste either. I've got them really enjoying some of the food I cook. The charcoal definitely makes a difference with that.

Even doing a simple chicken breast on the egg will surprise you. If you can't tell, I'm hooked.
Jay

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »
Here you go, hours of reading on lump charcoal. Haha

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
Jay

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »
I bought one back in Oct and haven't touched my other grill since then. While spendy, 100% worth the cost.

Ceramic grill store (online) has a lot of options with making more room inside the egg with indirect and direct heat. They have set ups where you can use half the grill for direct and the other half indirect. They have set ups where you can drop the grate way down for hot cooking of steaks and such. I ordered a set up yesterday and will be here Wednesday.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »
I have a medium and wish I had gotten a large.  Only accessories I really use are the plate setter and pizza stone.  Love me some pizza off the egg!  I only use it about every other week though.

From someone that doesn't grill much, it was easy to learn to use the BGE and I really enjoy it.
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
The debate is over.  Bought a Large BGE yesterday afternoon.  Going to use it tonight to grill come chicken breasts.  I was going to cook a couple filets on it last night but the guy at Roswell Hardware said the first time should be cooking something around 400 degrees.

I got the Egg, nest, grill gripper, ash tool, and 20# bag of Sugar Maple charcoal for $799.  The added a Cover, 2 slat Composite Eggmate (table wings), ConvEGGtor, Pizza Stone, Grill Scraper, Grill Caddy, and LOOFTLIGHTER.  The grand total came to $1288 (15% discount on accessories).

Now I have to figure out how to use it!  Going to be Googline and Youtubing today.  I'm not even sure how much charcoal to put in it or how to use the looflighter.

An hour later

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:17:07 PM by BigMike »

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
Burn it in good first with nothing on it and pratice holding a consistent temp at different levels.  That will come in REAL handy when you have food on it.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM