BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Cooler for your Crawler  (Read 3218 times)

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Cooler for your Crawler
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2016, 07:14:05 AM »
I'm starting to lean to the soft cooler for in the jeep for flex on where to put it.  Anyone using the Yeti Hopper 20?  Curious if it is waterproof (they claim so, but interested in practical experience).
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2016, 10:25:43 AM »
Has anyone seen the "newish" Ozark Trail 26, 52, or 73's in person? I'm considering getting the 26 quart for the Jeep. I have some concern that the popular 20 quart sizes are not quite going to be big enough and this seems like a good candidate. Below is a good discussion on their performance and a few tests.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155806-Ozark-Trail-quot-High-Performance-quot-cooler-any-good
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
Has anyone seen the "newish" Ozark Trail 26, 52, or 73's in person? I'm considering getting the 26 quart for the Jeep. I have some concern that the popular 20 quart sizes are not quite going to be big enough and this seems like a good candidate. Below is a good discussion on their performance and a few tests.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155806-Ozark-Trail-quot-High-Performance-quot-cooler-any-good

It looks pretty good...and I love the double drain on the one on that review.  Here is a video of the 26:  https://youtu.be/ll87-5e3ybk

The 26 doesn't appear to have a drain...which would bother me, but if you're cool with it, then it seems fine.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »
I found this one in my parents crawl space/ basement.
I pulled the cooler from the attic, put the drinks in Saturday morning & 15 lbs of ice. Packed it for back up drinks at my kids party.  It sat in a hot car until almost dark. I brought it inside the house, opened it up, got a drink, & left the lid unlatched. Been open since.
Not bad for 3.5 days. Especially hot car & being left open.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:17:40 PM by Big Dave »

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
Cooler update:

I decided to bring the orca out for the Moab trip because it was a good size for this trip. I loaded it on Wednesday, May 25th with a block of ice (frozen half gallon),  ice from my freezer and 8 frozen pork tenderloins. It stayed primarily in the jeep. It kept ice until Sunday, May 29th and was still very cold. I was in and out of it quite a bit taking out water bottles and adding new bottles. I added ice on Monday (half bag), then a full bag on Wednesday.   I literally never took the cooler out of the jeep. I used a makeshift cup to empty some of the water because it was getting pretty full.    Yesterday afternoon,June 4th, it still had a few pieces of ice.

All in all, I am extremely impressed with this cooler.  The only negative was that the rubber latches seemed to come loose occasionally at first, but I was cognizant of it. After a few days it seemed to not have any issues.  The seal stayed tight and never leaked water during riding, but I didn't turn it over intentionally to test it.  Don was running the same one, curious to hear his input. I know the big block of ice made a great impact. I also noticed, on the last day unfortunately, that the gas station had blocks of ice on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
I received my RTIC Roadie 20qt cooler of Friday.  I got it for wheeling trips because I seem to have lost my old Coleman 20qt.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:19:19 PM by BigMike »

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2016, 02:11:51 PM »
I received my RTIC Roadie 20qt cooler of Friday.  I got it for wheeling trips because I seem to have lost my old Coleman 20qt.

Anxious to hear your review. I'm waiting on a soft rtic bag

Jay

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »
My $42 Engle did really well. 10 pounds of ice on day 1 resulted in enough ice remaining (after draining water) for day 2. Not bad for hot desert temps and little shade. No indication of it ever leaking. Overall pretty impressed.

Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »

how long did it take to ship out?

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »

how long did it take to ship out?

Ordered May10th.  They said it would ship June 30th but I received it on June 3rd.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
I'm starting to lean to the soft cooler for in the jeep for flex on where to put it.  Anyone using the Yeti Hopper 20?  Curious if it is waterproof (they claim so, but interested in practical experience).

I don't have the Yeti, but I do have a soft sided cooler similar and it works and keeps things cool enough for us and our drinks etc. I don't need a cooler to keep drinks cold for 5 days. It usually only needs to keep them cool for the day. Multi day trips typically I have an igloo at the tent or cabin/beach house.I like the soft sided ones because you can cram them into places where a hard box won't fit.I do like that fact though that you can strap a hard sided cooler down and it shouldn't move. I have checked into the Rtic soft sided and they seem comparable to the Yeti.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2016, 02:31:22 PM »
^^^ that's the rtic cooler I'm waiting on. I may or may not have been drinking when I ordered. I thought it'd be nice for the pool too.

Jay

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM