BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Cooking my first butt tomorrow  (Read 2430 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Cooking my first butt tomorrow
« on: April 23, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
I went by Roswell Hardware and talked to the guy (Chris) that cooks on BGE's every Saturday.  He gave me a simple recipe and some tips on how to cook a butt.  Going to do a turbo cook.

I went by Kroger and got a 10.5lb butt.  I picked up a rub at the hardware store while there and a Termoworks thermometer.

The plan.  Cover the butt in mustard and sprinkle on the Pork U Garlic.  Then completely coat with the Pork U I Like Pig Butts and I Cannot Lie.  Get the BGE to 350 degrees with the diffuser and cook it until the meat is 202 degrees (about 5 hours).  Chris cooked one today and I tried it and it was awesome.  I'll let you know how it goes.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:02:40 PM by BigMike »

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
Re: Cooking my first butt tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 04:40:34 PM »
good luck! I still haven't cooked a butt on my smoker but it's next on the list. Turkey and whole chickens are the bomb though.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 05:41:28 PM »
Wrap it for the 2nd half and you will love it

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 06:09:07 PM »
Those rubs from Pork U are real good. You'll love it.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »
It's been cooking for about 2.5 hours now.  The temp was stable and then I did some work around the house and came back to it and it was up to almost 500.  I shut down the vents and burped the egg until I got the temp back down which took about 30 minutes.  Need to keep a closer eye on the temp the rest of the afternoon.  How boring, I might need to make a drink.

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
They really do take a commitment. That's the one thing that has kept me from cooking anything big like a butt. The make automatic temperature control fans that will keep things under control and a bluetooth remote thermometer that will alarm at a set temp. Both help but if things get out of control like what you had happen your still gonna have to work at it. Let us know how things come out.

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
They really do take a commitment. That's the one thing that has kept me from cooking anything big like a butt. The make automatic temperature control fans that will keep things under control and a bluetooth remote thermometer that will alarm at a set temp. Both help but if things get out of control like what you had happen your still gonna have to work at it. Let us know how things come out.

Yep, the one that I want is about $300.  It's on the list.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:11:42 PM »
If you start one fire in the middle of a full stack of charwood  and let it get lit very well, you can close it up and crack the lower vent about 1/4" and the upper a sliver and cook about 325/350 all day on mine.

i did just buy the CyberQ but have use the remote wireless thermometer with alerts for a few years.  beats watching the egg while you drink.  lots better things to watch available.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »
Yup^ temp controller is like cheating. It's awesome
Jay

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »
Yup^ temp controller is like cheating. It's awesome

X2

BBQ guru for the win.  I use it on all my long cooks

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 04:13:49 PM »
Well? Don't keep us in suspense. How did it go?

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 07:38:57 PM »
The pork butt turned out perfect.  Everyone love it.  I froze about 6lbs of it though. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM