OTHER INTERESTS > Grillin' & Chillin'

Cooking my first butt tomorrow

(1/3) > >>

BigMike:
I went by Roswell Hardware and talked to the guy (Chris) that cooks on BGE's every Saturday.  He gave me a simple recipe and some tips on how to cook a butt.  Going to do a turbo cook.

I went by Kroger and got a 10.5lb butt.  I picked up a rub at the hardware store while there and a Termoworks thermometer.

The plan.  Cover the butt in mustard and sprinkle on the Pork U Garlic.  Then completely coat with the Pork U I Like Pig Butts and I Cannot Lie.  Get the BGE to 350 degrees with the diffuser and cook it until the meat is 202 degrees (about 5 hours).  Chris cooked one today and I tried it and it was awesome.  I'll let you know how it goes.

ranier1315:
good luck! I still haven't cooked a butt on my smoker but it's next on the list. Turkey and whole chickens are the bomb though.

DOUG:
Wrap it for the 2nd half and you will love it

tcdawg:
Those rubs from Pork U are real good. You'll love it.

BigMike:
It's been cooking for about 2.5 hours now.  The temp was stable and then I did some work around the house and came back to it and it was up to almost 500.  I shut down the vents and burped the egg until I got the temp back down which took about 30 minutes.  Need to keep a closer eye on the temp the rest of the afternoon.  How boring, I might need to make a drink.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version