BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: TJ Rubicon or LJ non-Rubicon  (Read 1858 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
TJ Rubicon or LJ non-Rubicon
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
I'm "playing" with the idea of getting a trail rig.  I'd sell my '14 Rubicon and get a daily driver.  Now when I say "trail rig", I mean something that I'd mainly use on the trail but needs to be streetable as well.  It would also get driven to rides and not towed. 

Looking for an LJ but also looking at TJ Rubicons.  The LJ Rubicons are considered if the price is right but people selling them have a stupid perception of what they are worth.  The price difference between LJ's and LJ Rubicons would easily allow upgrading to "better than Rubicon". 

TJ guys, do you have LJ envy or is the TJ good for everything that you want to do? 

Again, just considering it at this point and in no hurry.  Need to find out what my JK Rubicon is worth as well.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: TJ Rubicon or LJ non-Rubicon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
TJ is too short, needs to be stretched, hence one reason the LJ is such an awesome platform.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »
TJ is too short, needs to be stretched, hence one reason the LJ is such an awesome platform.
I think LJs are ugly, but it is definitely the platform I'd build if I were starting from scratch.  With that said, I'd go with any LJ and build it like Jared did, except nut used axles (ie, mini-stretch, 4 speed atlas, 1 tons, ORI or coilover, and armor).

I'm going to make my TJ work, and live with its limitations, so my LJ envy isn't very high, but I do recognize the LJ is a better base platform.  I would also consider a YJ, like Steve did, so you can get to the LS engine and not have to muck with emissions. 

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »
I absolutely love my LJ. I've owned a YJ, TJ, JKU and this LJ. I do wish it was an LJR but like you said they are bringing more money than I'm willing to spend. I prefer the simplistic wiring of the TJ/LJ platform better. Just ask anyone with thoughts of swapping a V8 in either.... Good luck with your search. I saw a LJR with 180,000 miles and a hard too a couple days ago for 10K. I'll see if I can find you the link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »

Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
I wouldn't buy anything from the north.

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:25:50 PM »
I wouldn't buy anything from the north.

X2, "very little rust"

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »
Mike,
 I did a whole lot of wheeling in my TJ before I stretched it.
Defiantly go Rubicon though.....LJ would be better but you
could have a lot of fun in a TJ Rubicon.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »
I used to go back and forth on the same question. I never really got serious about it though. More like a hindsight 20/20 situation. I thought, TJ and tow rig.  I decided the cage was my tipping point of no return.  @Tcdawg fights this battle regularly.

Imo, if you aren't going with a fully built route, I wouldn't bother. Like you said though, I guess it depends on how much you can get for yours and how much you want to put into another one.

Jay

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »
I never looked where it was only that it was an area code I didn't recognize. Not sure if it's been up north it's whole life or not. It would be worth a call or text to find out though.

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »
Not going to address Clark's comment about LJ's being ugly. 

If you're OK to spend the money to get to "better than Rubicon" then you should do that.  Last thing you want to do is buy the Rubi and then be upgrading to tons in a year.

TJ is fine if you are ok with these two things:

*  Very likely comp cutting the rear corners at some point if going 40's or bigger. 
*  Room for cargo only if you remove the back seat. 

I wasn't ok with either, and i think LJ's look awesome.  So it was an easy decision for me.
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 08:23:46 PM »

TJ is fine if you are ok with these two things:

*  Very likely comp cutting the rear corners at some point if going 40's or bigger. 
*  Room for cargo only if you remove the back seat.
Yup, been there, done that... 

and i think LJ's look awesome.  So it was an easy decision for me.

I agree.  If I had to do it all over again, I would start with an LJ...
John
Tube chassis/buggy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM