BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Ford or Dodge  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Ford or Dodge
« on: June 08, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
Now that I'm changing company's I will be losing my company truck and now have the urgent need to go buy one.

It will either be an F-250 or Dodge 2500 4x4. From the looks of the prices I will be looking for something that is probably around 2 years old. Has anyone just recently done the homework and or bought one. Would like to hear the pro's and con's.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Ford or Dodge
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »
The 250 6.7 are the new 7.3 from what I hear. My sister in law father has a 15' f250 and likes it a lot. In the 6.7 range there is the 11-14, 15-16, and looks like the 17' is a little different. They changed a few things on the 15' for the better. They have insta heat glow plugs so they turn over fast and real quite.

Now the 17' have all kinda cool things. Higher payload, fully boxed frame, rear door opens more than 90 degrees, and more power.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:45:13 PM »
I can vouch for the Ram. Would definitely buy one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »
I love my 2014 RAM 2500 as well. I would but one again.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:42:06 PM »
Now that I'm changing company's I will be losing my company truck and now have the urgent need to go buy one.

It will either be an F-250 or Dodge 2500 4x4. From the looks of the prices I will be looking for something that is probably around 2 years old. Has anyone just recently done the homework and or bought one. Would like to hear the pro's and con's.

Well I bought my December of 14. 15 model.  I don't think much has changed.  The new 17 Ford is changing but not sure they're out yet.

I test drove top of the line on all of them -
I liked the Ram's get up and go better, I liked the interior better.  The price was also better.  The Ram was like driving a truck with luxury car comforts.  Don't know if I can go back to not having Heated seats and steering wheel automatically come on when it's cold.
I thought the Ford's interior was cheaper.  Too many different colors.  Felt much less luxurious. 

On the ram,  it's pulled great,  the exhaust brake is fantastic (earlier ford's do not have one - I can't remember what year the change was), I've had a few small things fixed under warranty but overall it's been 100% solid.

Don, are you talking diesel or gas? I test drove the ford turbo-diesel and that thing moved out pretty quick. I think the dodge I drove had the cummins, which will pull a house of its foundation, but didn't have any get up and go.
Chuck & Sherry

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
You can read my review of the Ford, GM, and RAM in the tow pig section.  Ford sucked and was expensive; GM was awesome and expensive; ram was great and cheap.

Doug just recently went through this and I believe he found that it was nearly as cheap to buy new, as used.  The diesels do not drop like a rock, but the new prices sure do rise like they're inflated with helium.

Are you going diesel?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:59 PM »
Clark - I'm thinking diesel. Sherry has been bugging the shit out of me to have her own jeep, so I see a new trailer and the need to pull 2 jeeps in my future.
Chuck & Sherry

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 10:15:07 PM »
You can read my review of the Ford, GM, and RAM in the tow pig section.  Ford sucked and was expensive; GM was awesome and expensive; ram was great and cheap.

Doug just recently went through this and I believe he found that it was nearly as cheap to buy new, as used.  The diesels do not drop like a rock, but the new prices sure do rise like they're inflated with helium.

Are you going diesel?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's what I'm seeing, the resale value on used trucks is nuts.
Chuck & Sherry

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:35:53 PM »

Well I bought my December of 14. 15 model.  I don't think much has changed.  The new 17 Ford is changing but not sure they're out yet.

I test drove top of the line on all of them -
I liked the Ram's get up and go better, I liked the interior better.  The price was also better.  The Ram was like driving a truck with luxury car comforts.  Don't know if I can go back to not having Heated seats and steering wheel automatically come on when it's cold.
I thought the Ford's interior was cheaper.  Too many different colors.  Felt much less luxurious. 

On the ram,  it's pulled great,  the exhaust brake is fantastic (earlier ford's do not have one - I can't remember what year the change was), I've had a few small things fixed under warranty but overall it's been 100% solid.

Don, are you talking diesel or gas? I test drove the ford turbo-diesel and that thing moved out pretty quick. I think the dodge I drove had the cummins, which will pull a house of its foundation, but didn't have any get up and go.

Diesel.  I won't do another gas truck. Hrmm I'm surprised.  The Dodge diesels can have a pedal lag but that's not all the time and I put in a throttle booster myself. (http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power-1057732-throttle-sensitivity-booster.aspx)

I found the Ford to be a pig when I test drove it.  It was ok but the Ram moved better. 
Yep, the Ford was the slowest off the line, when I test drove them (and felt like driving a boat).  The GM was the fastest, but not fast enough to justify the extra cost.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:56 PM »
I bought a used Duramax with 2900 miles. Looked for a year and finally found a smokin deal.

You should drive then all and decide for yourself.  I did and Ford was a definite no for me. The Ram was good and I was going to get one due to the 2015 model year end $11,000 off and Clarks was great going too Moab pulling a double, I found this Dmax the same day I was pulling the trigger.  I'm just not crazy about the Ram styling.

For me, the GM styling is more attractive than the Ram, and the Ford rode awful.  The Dmax is proven as is the Allison.

Just a personal preference.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:14:46 PM by Doug »

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
I'd have to drive all 3 before making any kind of decision, but would favor the Ford over the GM or RAM.  I could get the best deal on a GM or RAM but I've always liked the Ford Super Duty trucks.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 and with proper maintenance, it should be the last truck you have to buy.  My wife wants an F250 diesel for her retirement vehicle (she's an equestrian girl) because she knows I'll always have other cars she can drive. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM