BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Flip, flop and roll over situations....  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
Re: Flip, flop and roll over situations....
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »
I wanted to buy one of these but he quit making them to work on a new design.  Now the new design seems to be taking infinity

Pretty sure @Scott F. carries one, but never seen him where it  //;D//. 

http://axeloffroad.com/shop-2-2/gear/trail-helmet-matte-charcoal/

I haven't really found anything else I like.

I have one of the Axel helmets, pretty sure it's the old style he first came out with.  It has a sticker inside it from whoever the manufacturer is that says something like "not for motorized use". It looks like a skateboard/freeride bike helmet from the material and construction.

I have been carrying it and never put it on. When I get back from a ride I have often thought that I should have been wearing it.  This thread may just be the reminder I needed to put it on. I got it because I am a tall guy in a small cab, so even though my cage is padded it's likely I could hit that or another part of the cab and get hurt pretty bad. It better than nothing but its not going to protect like a Snell certified helmet.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 08:40:07 PM »
I wanted to buy one of these but he quit making them to work on a new design.  Now the new design seems to be taking infinity

Pretty sure @Scott F. carries one, but never seen him where it  //;D//. 

http://axeloffroad.com/shop-2-2/gear/trail-helmet-matte-charcoal/

I haven't really found anything else I like.

I have one of the Axel helmets, pretty sure it's the old style he first came out with.  It has a sticker inside it from whoever the manufacturer is that says something like "not for motorized use". It looks like a skateboard/freeride bike helmet from the material and construction.

I have been carrying it and never put it on. When I get back from a ride I have often thought that I should have been wearing it.  This thread may just be the reminder I needed to put it on. I got it because I am a tall guy in a small cab, so even though my cage is padded it's likely I could hit that or another part of the cab and get hurt pretty bad. It better than nothing but its not going to protect like a Snell certified helmet.
Do you have race padding, or the stuff that will melt into your skin if it catches fire?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 08:43:28 PM »
The front crossbar is actual race padding with a pleather cover. The sides and main hoop are melt your face off stuff.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 09:21:44 PM »
When talking about hand placement, don't forget to not grab around a part of the cage itself. Instead have some type of grab handle mounted on the cage or dash.  If I were to put my hand around my cage the sheetmetal roof would probably collapse down and crush my fingers between the tubing and sheetmetal.  For open top jeeps that means your fingers are going to be in between the cage and ground. 

Here is an example of a bad situation:

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
Next time I go to Moab I have told myself I will try at least once to climb rockpile and/or the waterfall at the end of Helldorado. I will for sure have a helmet on for that.

We will see though. Internet talk and on the trail are two very different things. The first trip to Moab when I made one attempt on rockpile I decided real quick to change my mind.

Gary on rockpile

/>
And a successful try:

/>

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
When talking about hand placement, don't forget to not grab around a part of the cage itself. Instead have some type of grab handle mounted on the cage or dash.  If I were to put my hand around my cage the sheetmetal roof would probably collapse down and crush my fingers between the tubing and sheetmetal.  For open top jeeps that means your fingers are going to be in between the cage and ground. 

Here is an example of a bad situation:

/>

Justin welded mine angled in a little just for that reason. I know it's not the choice placement during a roll, but nice adjustment to have just in case someone accidentally grabs it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »
Information I posted after the 2015 Moab trip:

I don't recall this topic being covered in this thread, so if it is a duplicate, forgive me.

Gary educated us on a couple of safety factors to consider after a rollover:

1)  as the occupant of the rolled vehicle, you should not attempt to immediately undo your seatbelt/harness.   In fact, you should wait for other wheelers to come to your rescue before attempting to get out of the situation.  The reason is that the vehicle may not be stable and either your movement or the vehicles position may put you in a more dangerous position.  Obviously there could be exceptions, such as the vehicle being on fire, but in general, wait for help.

2)  safety harnesses are superior to factory seat belts, especially if after being right-sided your vehicle is positioned in a manner where the seat belt cannot be buckled again.  In Gary's case, he rolled on an obstacle, was right-sided, and then he decided to attempt the obstacle again; however, he was in a position where he couldn't fasten the factory belt and then he rolled again.  Yep, not smart to attempt to continue without the belt being fastened, but a situation can be envisioned where even getting off an obstacle could present a perilous situation.

- Carl

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 07:52:50 AM »
WRT Gary's flip on Rockpile and Clark's in Mickey's, either might have been recoverable with an auto slammed into reverse.  With a manual transmission that's likely impossible.

When doing something like the hot tubs it's crucial to not apply the brakes, but just to roll back when you don't make it.  Again, reflexes can make that difficult.

Many people I've talked to suggest grabbing the wheel with both hands during a roll or flop.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 08:31:49 AM »
WRT Gary's flip on Rockpile and Clark's in Mickey's, either might have been recoverable with an auto slammed into reverse.  With a manual transmission that's likely impossible.

When doing something like the hot tubs it's crucial to not apply the brakes, but just to roll back when you don't make it.  Again, reflexes can make that difficult.

Many people I've talked to suggest grabbing the wheel with both hands during a roll or flop.
I think grabbing the steering wheel could end badly in a roll where the steering wheel is jerked from side to side as the wheels/tires get banged around.  I'll be grabbing my harness, if my mind works fast enough.  I can't remember what I grabbed when I flipped.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 08:54:18 AM »

I think grabbing the steering wheel could end badly in a roll where the steering wheel is jerked from side to side as the wheels/tires get banged around.  I'll be grabbing my harness, if my mind works fast enough.  I can't remember what I grabbed when I flipped.

Driver, I'll try to keep my hands on the steering wheel (thumbs and fingers outside) and turtle. 
Passenger, I'l grabbing my harness or the oh-shit bar directly in front of me if there is one and turtling.

I agree on turtle!  Am I crazy in thinking the steering wheel will over power my grip on it and increase risk of harm to my appendages?  What benefit do you think comes from holding onto the steering wheel versus grabbing the harness?

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »
At least one hand is already on the wheel; doesn't require thought to move it.  YMMV
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
You should never have your "thumbs in" on the wheel when offroad, unless you like risking a broken thumb.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:31:47 AM by lt99ls1 »
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM