BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: How not to run a Off Road club!  (Read 2124 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: How not to run a Off Road club!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:19:15 PM »
Great points, @Doug .  Damn, that really hurt to type :)  I really should be willing to ride the level 1 trails more often.  That'll be a self improvement task I take.

If I was a staffer for a club that didn't have participating members, I'd probably stop trying to be a good staffer.  I believe it goes both ways, but without dedicated leadership, the members won't be dedicated either.

I have seen what happens to a club of slacker members with just one leader/staff who cares...it is hell on the leader/staff.  I'm glad we have the staff we have, and the members we have.  Some members do not know they have an obligation in making the club better.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
Doug it also goes the other way also.....
Trying to convince mostly stockers to expand
and try different places and things. God that's
why I Love GATR.......I started with 2'' lift on
32's.......I wanted more so I drove to Gulches,
I drove to Aetna, I drove to Durhamtown, I
drove to Tellico, I drove to Beasley Knob and
I learned....You can go to these places and have
fun then drive home. At the same time watching
the other rigs, learning, finding out what a freakin
Rubicon Jeep was and why the hell didn't I buy one.

So it' one thing to abandon newbies but also never
be willing to expand can be just as bad and practically
the death of a club!!

GATR will always be the standard for Off Roading

Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »
Ok i confess. It was my comment that got the staff upset...

I really only check in there because there's some folks who live close to me who I'm still friends with. guess I'll have to start FB messaging them...

The club needed it. Maybe it will lite a fire under some & jumpstart the club. God knows it's on life support.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »
Ok i confess. It was my comment that got the staff upset...

I really only check in there because there's some folks who live close to me who I'm still friends with. guess I'll have to start FB messaging them...

The club needed it. Maybe it will lite a fire under some & jumpstart the club. God knows it's on life support.
I had my say.

I don't like when leaders don't take ownership for things. I have seen it here though.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »

I don't like when leaders don't take ownership for things. I have seen it here though.

Speak up, let's hear your issues.

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 06:13:59 PM »
Doug it also goes the other way also.....
Trying to convince mostly stockers to expand
and try different places and things. God that's
why I Love GATR.......I started with 2'' lift on
32's.......I wanted more so I drove to Gulches,
I drove to Aetna, I drove to Durhamtown, I
drove to Tellico, I drove to Beasley Knob and
I learned....You can go to these places and have
fun then drive home. At the same time watching
the other rigs, learning, finding out what a freakin
Rubicon Jeep was and why the hell didn't I buy one.

So it' one thing to abandon newbies but also never
be willing to expand can be just as bad and practically
the death of a club!!

GATR will always be the standard for Off Roading

Well said Keven, I am an example of that as well.

I didn't buy my jeep to run around and socialize. I fully understand that there are limitations to what I can do with a WJ. Even then it will surprise me with it's actual capabilities. While there are going to be a lot of trails the it will never be able to do, I am able to ride some of the intermediate quite a bit at the parks. What's most important is the group I am doing it with and how we all respect each other for not only the vehicle's ability but the drivers as well.

After Dave stepped down they asked me to be a staff member. I accepted and worked on a few projects for the club but had to scale back due to some things going on in my personal and professional life. Like Dave (and a few others) I'd get aggravated that folks would come on and say they looking for a group to ride with but when a ride was posted on the calendar or and unscheduled one nobody seemed interested in going. Then there is the fear of riding at a park out of state. Don't get that one either. ???

I decided this past spring that I would be supporting NGJ some but ultimately I want to ride. This means I will go with a club that wants to ride. While I know I won't make all, I will go out and do the ones I can depending on life at home and my work schedule.

I for one am thankful that GATR is a club who respects all the members abilities and will also encourage  growth in both the rig and driver. THis was evident last weekend when I decided to follow the intermediate group Saturday afternoon. I wouldn't have attempted to do Tombstone without the invitation extended by Bobby, Kent, and the rest of the group.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
Yeap, it takes a leap of faith sometimes. My very first trip with GATR was at AOP. The first trail we hit was 47. I looked at the obstacles & was scared shit less to say the least.
But I trust Kevins judgment & after some awesome spotting from Rob trust him & the others in that group as well. I thought I knew what wheelin was, now I truly do.

I have a 89 Cherokee, POS edition. If I can drive mine to the parks & beat on it there is NO reason other people can't drive their newer vehicles there as well & have a blast.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »

@tjsahara00 had better take his blood pressure meds!  Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
Yeap, it takes a leap of faith sometimes. My very first trip with GATR was at AOP. The first trail we hit was 47. I looked at the obstacles & was scared shit less to say the least.
But I trust Kevins judgment & after some awesome spotting from Rob trust him & the others in that group as well. I thought I knew what wheelin was, now I truly do.

I have a 89 Cherokee, POS edition. If I can drive mine to the parks & beat on it there is NO reason other people can't drive their newer vehicles there as well & have a blast.
You did awesome on that trip.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 09:27:09 PM »
Thanks John. If it wasn't for the awesome group of people called GATR I'd still be clueless.

Chris (semperfiarms)  is correct. You don't have to conquer double black diamond trails to have fun. At Crawling for Reid I was following Kevins son in law around the easier stuff & was having a great time on trails I'd never been on. Plus, it was fun watching Hector expand on his wheeling skills.

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »
Thanks John. If it wasn't for the awesome group of people called GATR I'd still be clueless.

Chris (semperfiarms)  is correct. You don't have to conquer double black diamond trails to have fun. At Crawling for Reid I was following Kevins son in law around the easier stuff & was having a great time on trails I'd never been on. Plus, it was fun watching Hector expand on his wheeling skills.
I agree.  I'm happy getting on the trails and leaving the "daily grind" behind. Regardless of the type of trail. It's just great being outdoors with other people that enjoy it as well. Looking forward to Hale...
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 10:34:45 PM »

I guess I took it more personal than anyone else only becuase I helped with the event and donated a $300 cooler (wife helps as well). I wasn't very happy about the deleting of post concerning a benefit ride for wounded vets. A lot of those guys are hurt or paid the ultimate price for us to ride jeeps and do what we do in life. It appears that just because another forum puts it on, those post were deleted. I know the letters of that forum and even the name can not be typed into a thread or pm without an auto delete set up. Care less about the auto delete of words but a whole heck of a lot about post pertaining to raising money for those current and past vets. It would be like deleting cross post for Reid and his fund raiser. Just isn't right.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM