BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: AR Feed Problems  (Read 1332 times)

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
AR Feed Problems
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »
A buddy called today asking if I could take a look at an AR for him. Seems it was having a feed problem, it was trying to chamber the new round and the spent casing at the same time.

Checked it out and took it apart to look at what might be the issue. Just built so all the parts were new and he thought it might be break in issue. Swapped out a couple pieces and still had the jam issue. I finally pulled the bolt carrier from one of my rifle and a full mag dump later it ran like a top.

Put his bolt back in and fired one round and found the shell was sitting on top of the empty mag with the bolt locked to the rear. Well this means one of two things, extractor or ejector. The ejector was good and tight with good force on the spring so I swapped the extractor and ran another half of a mag without a hiccup.

Couldn't see anything on the extractor, the hook was intact and not broken but for some reason it wasn't holding the shell completely during extraction.

Love it when I get to fix them right for folks.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: AR Feed Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 09:12:59 PM »
It's nice when you have friends who are knowledgeable.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »
A buddy called today asking if I could take a look at an AR for him. Seems it was having a feed problem, it was trying to chamber the new round and the spent casing at the same time.

Checked it out and took it apart to look at what might be the issue. Just built so all the parts were new and he thought it might be break in issue. Swapped out a couple pieces and still had the jam issue. I finally pulled the bolt carrier from one of my rifle and a full mag dump later it ran like a top.

Put his bolt back in and fired one round and found the shell was sitting on top of the empty mag with the bolt locked to the rear. Well this means one of two things, extractor or ejector. The ejector was good and tight with good force on the spring so I swapped the extractor and ran another half of a mag without a hiccup.

Couldn't see anything on the extractor, the hook was intact and not broken but for some reason it wasn't holding the shell completely during extraction.

Love it when I get to fix them right for folks.
I love reading that technical problem solving, fit me it was in rambos voice lol.

I need a vid.  Obviously you are intimate with the simple machine.

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
I'm a certified armorer on the M16/AR15. Been working on and building them for a little over 12 years now.

My buddy is an excellent gunsmith and if i wanted a bolt rifle rebarreled he is one I would call. He's like me, focus on one or two things and you can be really good. Try to do everything and all the rest suffers in quality. He showed an absolutely beautiful Caspian 1911 he just finished building.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM