BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: How did you hear about and find GATR?  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
How did you hear about and find GATR?
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:04:18 AM »
Serious question for all the new guys, old guys etc. How did you happen to hear about us (GATR) and what was your first ride with us? Was it a good experience, any suggestions? We are always looking for ways to get our name out there and improve the club to make it the best around so post up!

I just happened to google offroad clubs in GA many years ago and GATR was like the 3rd down on the search listings. Made my first ride at Aetna many years ago. Had a great trip and made some friends on the first trip.

//popcorn//
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
Re: How did you hear about and find GATR?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:10:48 AM »
i actually heard about it through bobby many years ago when i sold him my rear bumper. We lost touch for a few years then when i got sick of trying to organize rides with local buddies who always back out at the last minute i got back in touch with him. What i like most is how there is a ride every month regardless. I also know that at any point out on the trail this group of guys and girls is there if i need them.

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:25:57 AM »
Google search I'm sure... i liked that I didn't have to come to a physical monthly meeting before coming on a ride.  Liked that it wasn't just a "Jeep" club even though I had a Jeep.

First ride was at Durhamtown.  I'd never done any offroading, and only had put my Jeep in 4WD in the driveway I think.  Somehow, I got near the front of the "air down" line.  When it was time to roll, I tried to get into 4LO but it wouldn't move out of neutral.  My CB wasn't transmitting, so all I heard on the radio was "hey, what's the deal up front, why aren't we moving?"...... Doug walked up and rocked the Jeep a little bit which let me shift into 4LO.  Embarrassing?  Yes.  But I appreciated that nobody made a big deal out of it and we had a really good day (for D'town at least).
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
I'm trying to remember exactly how I found the club...maybe just googling off-road clubs in GA.  My first ride was the forest service ride in a mostly stock 4Runner.  I got hooked quickly and I've been getting poorer ever since.  I think those forest service rides are great for newbies...just not sure how to get more of them to come back for a "real" ride.  Everyone was super-nice and didn't make me feel out of place for my lack of knowledge or rig. 
Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
I googled and found a few clubs/forums...this was back in 2010 I believe.

Joined both forums, one was GaTR.

Made a few rides with the one N. Ga. club and was not impressed at all.  Even though I was a total nube I wasn't happy with the experience.

Then I made a Gulches ride with GaTR....had an absolutely awesome time.  That was the ride I met Seth, Kevin, Jared and others.  The rest is history

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »
I joined another club first, then met Tony, Bobby, and Josh through that. They told me to check out GATR if I wanted to wheel.

I think my first ride was Windrock. It was my first organized ride, so I was a little intimidated and excited. I also slowed us down at the beginning because I wasn't all the way ready in time. Very embarrassed, but like Jared's story, nobody made it a big deal of it. Ended up having a great time. Got some bigger obstacles under my belt, and greatly contributed to my current addiction. Still learning more every ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
I did the Forest Service ride with my friend Seth @Sasquatch and wanted more, bought my jeep a month later.

I think my 1st ride was Beasley Knob, totally stock, got stuck, had fun. I like knowing y'all have my back. On Beasley we had someone bust a steering stabilizer and within minutes he had tools brought to him and we were rolling. I learned a lot about this group on that 1st ride.

I keep inviting people from the FaceBooks page to the forums and have heard on more than one occasion that they were waiting on approvals...I didn't realize there was an approval process. Those FS rides and maybe a class on Winching 101 might draw some people in, but they have to want this type of community and activity.

I think continuing to push the Tread Lightly campaign and SFWDA to the other jeepers in Georgia should be part of our message because the FS roads can't support the level of traffic they are seeing. The off road parks can and do.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
Google and then showed up at a ride at Gulches with my 2012 JKU open/open (I see a Gulches theme emerging).  Got hooked on the experience and really liked the people. Quickly determined that I wanted to get something I didn't worry about scratching up and got the TJ and sold the JKU.  I keep learning every time out and have a blast.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
Bought a new jeep. Started upgrading. Found Bobby @cru9 on CL selling some mirror relocation brackets. Next thing you know I'm hooked. LOL
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
As I recall it was a combination of Google and WranglerForum.  I was on WF in Michigan so I checked out the Georgia section.  I believe Kevin P and/or someone else may have mentioned GATR when I was looking for people/places to ride.

My first ride I froze my butt off camping at Morris Mtn in February of 2013. 

My frosty Jeep between Blue Wes and White Wes.

Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
How did you hear about and find GATR?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 03:28:07 PM »
Internet search for local Wheeling clubs. My first ride was a forest service ride that Matt organized up by lake Burton back in early 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:28:55 PM by cru9 »
Bobby

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »
Had my Jeep for about 6 years. Had been to Beasley Knob,
Tellico several times but only by myself or with another Jeep.
I wanted to learn more and go to more places. I was on Wrangler
Forum and checked out the Georgia Clubs section. First ride was
at Gulches then Aetna in 2010....then the next several years I went
on 10 or 12 rides a year...
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM