BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: First time butt.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
First time butt.
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »
I smoked my first BB this morning. I just bought a 6#'r at publix. After doing some more reading to confirm how to make it happen I  rubbed her down (insert "that's what she said") and covered her for a rest in the fridge the night before. Based on what everyone told me I planned on at least 6 hours for the smoke. (1-1.5hrs /pound.) I was prepared for 12 if needed so I got up at 0500hrs to get started. Pulled the butt out and set her out to warm to room temp, and started the grill. Got the temp settled at 235* with soaked hickory chunks and hickory lump charcoal. Everything was going good except the fact that she was cooking really fast. She hit a stall at 170 but until that it looked like it would be done in three hours. The stall only took about 45 min and when she broke she climbed 5* pretty quick. I decided if I was going to wrap her I needed to do it now. Wrapped her in foil and she finished about 30 min later at 200*
All in all the meat was good but there wasn't much bark which was ok the wife doesn't like the bark anyway. The meat was real tender with only a light smoke flavor. The best I can tell is that while I am able to maintain a temp for a long time it doesn't seem like I am making much smoke while at that temp. I'm happy with my first try but I gotta figure out how to make smoke at a low temp. Thanks for any ideas/help.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: First time butt.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
Following... I just got a king griller akorn from my boss and am anxious to give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:43:31 PM »
Much less bark when you wrap it. I never wrap.

What was your total cook time?

What charcoal are you using?

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
Ok after thinking about it.  It took 1 hour /pound so that's not to bad.  I just expected longer. The one thing I want to get better at is making smoke while keeping the temp down.  I'm ok with the less bark.  My family preferres a softer BBQ. Any suggestions for making smoke with low Temps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM