BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: First time up Tray, new shopping list  (Read 352 times)

Offline IDvsEGO

• Visitor
First time up Tray, new shopping list
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:46:05 PM »
I have owned a few jeeps in my life but it has been a while.   My wife has been involved with jeering before we met but never had her own.   So we bought her a Jku Sport S a few months the ago as a daily driver,  camping vehicle,  and light trail rider.   And yes,  to take the kids to the mall in.   Previously we took it back on Wildcat Creek to check out the campsites but this weekend was the first time it has been over anything bigger than gravel.  A buddy was with us in his Rubicon.   We had no problems but of course the first time camping and trail riding we already have a new shopping list. 

One that I wasn't sure about are skid plates.   I like the idea but don't want to make this pig any fatter than it needs to be.   Which plates are the most important?  I lean towards protecting anything that holds fluids.

Another thing I need some more creative thought on is storage.   We have 4 kids and if everybody comes,  then another car comes.  Often it is only 2 of the kids though so I would like to be able to get everything in or on the Jeep.   Some kind of cargo shelf for the rear,  a receiver storage rack,  or ultimately a roof rack are all possibilities.   Maybe some roll cage storage bags to use ALL the space.   I am in favor of a trailer but not all of the drivers would do well with one.  We drove to Disney in a mercury mariner stuffed to the edges and a Thule on top.   Trying to see if I can find that level of storage in the Jeep without spending an arm and a leg and a torso.

Offline IDvsEGO

• Visitor
Re: First time up Tray, new shopping list
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
Obviously winc,  tires and lift are on the list  but there is tons of info from searches on that stuff

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
We were out there on Saturday around lunch time, when were you there? Might have passed each other.

Video of my crew.

Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »
undercoverfab makes an aluminum oil pan transmission skid. http://www.undercoverfab.com/ it makes oil changes tougher but there is a hose attachment you can get that makes it easier to change the oil. @Raisinhead  did the hose attachment thing work out? for oil changes?
Quadratec sells a variety of rear shelves and Bartac sells some rollbar duffles. https://www.bartact.com/collections/molle-system-bags
I'd personally go with a receiver rack before I put anything on the roof. Jeeps can get top heavy and that ain't fun.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline IDvsEGO

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
We were out there on Saturday around lunch time, when were you there? Might have passed each other.

Video of my crew.

Yeah,  we saw you guys.   We were the 2 red jku's going super slow

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:29:46 PM by IDvsEGO »

Offline IDvsEGO

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
undercoverfab makes an aluminum oil pan transmission skid. http://www.undercoverfab.com/ it makes oil changes tougher but there is a hose attachment you can get that makes it easier to change the oil. @Raisinhead  did the hose attachment thing work out? for oil changes?
Quadratec sells a variety of rear shelves and Bartac sells some rollbar duffles. https://www.bartact.com/collections/molle-system-bags
I'd personally go with a receiver rack before I put anything on the roof. Jeeps can get top heavy and that ain't fun.
Yeah,  she thinks the room rack will be more comfortable to drive than a trailer.   I kind of think the other way around.   The recover rack and cargo shelf will happen before either,  I am sure.   Those are fairly inexpensive in comparison.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 06:00:54 PM »

Yes, I have the quick oil valve with hose. Works well with my skids.

I'd encourage you to steer clear of a roof rack if you are looking to get out on tougher trails at some point.  I had a gobi stealth rack that I eventually sold because the cons out weighed the pros. (Mpgs, noise, top removal, trail limitations, top heavy is used)
Now if you want to focus on expedition style riding, it may be great for you.
Jay

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:35:06 PM »
I run the evo pro tek system. I have the oil pan skid, trans skid, and crossmember skid. I got a good deal from a black friday deal on northridge. My oil changes are still easy and everything is beefy and well protected. You could check out my build thread. I made a deck cover in the trunk of JKU. Maybe it could help you think of more ideas on how to tackle your storage problems.
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM