BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: KOH 2017  (Read 6056 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: KOH 2017
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
So, perhaps one of y'all who have been there can fill me in.  @Doug @Jeeptrk

I see a ton of guys who's rigs are nowhere near race spec for either the real race or EMC posting "Getting ready for KOH!" "KOH prep!" and other misleading titles.  I asked one about a cage and they said "oh not racing just chasing it".

My question is - what else besides the race goes on during the week? 

I know Peligrino takes folks out after the races on some runs and those are generally our spec kinda rigs, not race rigs and not a race. 
I'm sure there's all kind of testosterone redneck shinanigans going on within the crowds and riding around hammer town. 

Are there other organized non-race activities?  I figured it'd be like when the Olympics are on Whistler mountain, nothing else happens but race and race prep on the actual course.  I supposed I could be assuming incorrectly?

just wondering. 

Thanks!

ps - I've been talking about doing the EMC one of the upcoming years... kinda upset looking at tire restrictions.  I think my rig would fit closest in to the modified class but I can only run 37s.... grr...
37s on those axles...not worth the effort, imo.  At least you be assured to not break anything on the axle!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »

I see a ton of guys who's rigs are nowhere near race spec for either the real race or EMC posting "Getting ready for KOH!" "KOH prep!" and other misleading titles.  I asked one about a cage and they said "oh not racing just chasing it".

I know Peligrino takes folks out after the races on some runs and those are generally our spec kinda rigs, not race rigs and not a race. 
I'm sure there's all kind of testosterone redneck shinanigans going on within the crowds and riding around hammer town. 

Are there other organized non-race activities?  I figured it'd be like when the Olympics are on Whistler mountain, nothing else happens but race and race prep on the actual course.  I supposed I could be assuming incorrectly?

just wondering. 

Thanks!

ps - I've been talking about doing the EMC one of the upcoming years... kinda upset looking at tire restrictions.  I think my rig would fit closest in to the modified class but I can only run 37s.... grr...
37s on those axles...not worth the effort, imo.  At least you be assured to not break anything on the axle!

yeah, just going to have to sell them and get a set of takeoff D44s or spend 15k and buy a set of dynatracs for .5" of clearance.
Take off 44s seems best, but built like a mofo.  I'd probably consider talking to Tripp about custom axles, if you're serious about competing.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »

just wondering. 

Thanks!

yeah, just going to have to sell them and get a set of takeoff D44s or spend 15k and buy a set of dynatracs for .5" of clearance.

No way d44's on 37's hold up to race abuse. No F'ing way

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »

just wondering. 

Thanks!

No way d44's on 37's hold up to race abuse. No F'ing way
Agree.

Don, run those axles you have and pick a tire you like and run it. Put a lot of focus in suspension and tuning. Maybe some 300m rear shafts because your rig is heavy and in climbs all that weight shifts to the rear. You would destroy 44's. Don't care what you do to them. I don't see it worth it swapping what you have for custom stuff to race a few times. Toooooo much money. Suspension tuning make good drives awesome and bad drivers good.

Randy (owner of Jimmy's 4x4) told me this once about tires: if you go to tire shops  (bigger ones) about racing and getting tires, we'll they can in turn go back to their wholesaler for money for those tires. In turn, the wholesaler goes back to manufacture to get there money. Manufacturers have money set aside for racing folks, especially those who run their everyday tire in races.

You for the 4500 class. 37's no sticky is your limit put you are allowed bypasses among other safety requirments. You can run the kr2 in a 37".

I have stupid stuff break in the past. About making things strong. I'm sure you would love it and have a blast. I'm concerned what my weak link is. Thinking its the rear with 35 spline instead of 40 spline shafts. I just did the revision on my rear that i got back Thursday. I havent opened it to take pictures. I hear there is experiment with front torsion driftshaft to help with the shock loading when landing and creating different speeds in the drivetrain.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »

just wondering. 

Thanks!

there are constant redneck shenanigans, 24hrs a day the whole week before the main. Prerunning what you can and know is part of the race course, and just riding, you can ride absolutely anything you can see out there, except 29palms. dont even get close, they patrol and are reallllll serious about those mine fields n shit. for some reason  //salute// from what I saw, you better take an extra rig just to wheel and break. Or just a quad or enduro bike to get around on and see stuff. The year we raced the remote pit we were in was prob a good hours ride from the lake bed, so you gotta have extra transportation. 
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »
I did hear a story of a dude who was playing around with his rig on the main drag...and broke down right before a major event.  He couldn't get his rig off the path in time, so it became an obstacle on which other rigs put 'their tires on'.  At the end, it was very beat up.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
I did hear a story of a dude who was playing around with his rig on the main drag...and broke down right before a major event.  He couldn't get his rig off the path in time, so it became an obstacle on which other rigs put 'their tires on'.  At the end, it was very beat up.

Pretty much happens every KOH

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
Have yall seen Levi Shirley jump an rzr down back door? Does a heck of a flip. Happened yesterday or something. Instead of going up backdoor this year for the race, it's down. I think they are also running down sledge.

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »
If you get a video, I'd like to see it.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 01:46:18 PM »
Have yall seen Levi Shirley jump an rzr down back door? Does a heck of a flip. Happened yesterday or something. Instead of going up backdoor this year for the race, it's down. I think they are also running down sledge.

Yeah hoping he's ok cause that was pretty funny.
I want to know who's gonna do it the race. Risk destroying the front it. If you do a slow drop in like a comp crawler it's front wheel drive and hope it's not too dug out for a front flip. Smash the throttle in 2wd front with a dead rear to do it. Guess you could do the other side, that might be ok.

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »
If you get a video, I'd like to see it.

I'd tag you on fb, but you never accepted my friend request from 31 months ago  //:'(//

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »

Yeah hoping he's ok cause that was pretty funny.

Agreed

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM