BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Christmas SWAG 2016 - what did you get?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
Re: Christmas SWAG 2016 - what did you get?
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 04:12:12 PM »
Plus a bunch on John Harrison. He worked my Colt almost 20 years ago and it still runs like a top.

Congrats on the Kimber. Any 1911 is a nice gun to get.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
I think the quality of the Metal Injection Molded parts that gun manufacturers use have gotten better but Kimber had an issues with some of them years back.  Springfield uses MIM parts as well (my favorite) but I had John Harrison in Kennesaw so some work on mine years ago.  He replaced the crucial parts like the Firing Pin Stop, Slide Stop, Extractor.  Can't remember what else.  He also cleaned up the ramp and did a basic tune up on it.  Cost was about $180.  He is one of the best 1911 smiths in the country.  Back then, he wouldn't do work on Kimbers though. 

It's cheap to replace those parts with machined parts and easy/fun to do.  I'm not sure it's a big worry unless you're putting 5000 rounds a month through it. 

MIM parts on most 1911's unless you buy an Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Caspian, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, etc.  I would think that the guns coming out of Kimber's Custom shop have mainly machined parts.

Hammer, sear, extractor, firing pin stop, grip safety, thumb saftey, slide stop, plunger tube, mag release, ejector.
I have heard of that guy. I want my next to be a Wilson or nighthawk. I have a kimber custom II. Kimber "custom shop" isn't really custom. You can send a pistol to them for work.

That one pictured is a micro 9.

Below is the micro 9 and 1911 stripped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
I might get another 1911 but I love the one that I have.  The next .45 for me is a Glock 21 and then maybe a Sig P220.

We need a 1911 thread started!

Sig P220

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:45:48 PM by BigMike »

Offline URBAN ASSAULT

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »
Santa's sleigh

My 4Runner and I are quickly becoming dirty ol' men. More attitude and less flexibility every year.

Steve

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
Santa's sleigh

Another epic "Steve's Winter Project" thread I hope?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline URBAN ASSAULT

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »
@URBAN ASSAULT where'd you buy the DOM?
Metal Supermarket.  https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/atlanta/

They are not always the cheapest, but they sure are easy.  They had 2 sticks in stock and had the rest within a week. Ended up around $4 and change per foot.
I preferred IMS steel back when we had the @Jimbo hookup.  Though, he no longer works there.

I've used Metal supermarket for lots of stuff over the years.  Usually, I can find most everything I need in their drop pile, which is much cheaper.

Depending on how much you need, I'll likely have a good bit left over, and will be happy to pass it on.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:06:51 PM by URBAN ASSAULT »
My 4Runner and I are quickly becoming dirty ol' men. More attitude and less flexibility every year.

Steve

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »

They are not always the cheapest, but they sure are easy.  They had 2 sticks in stock and had the rest within a week. Ended up around $4 and change per foot.
I preferred IMS steel back when we had the @Jimbo hookup.  Though, he no longer works there.

I've used Metal supermarket for lots of stuff over the years.  Usually, I can find most everything I need in their drop pile, which is much cheaper.

Depending on how much you need, I'll likely have a good bit left over, and will be happy to pass it on.
Just throwing it out there but I've got a ryerson account and can get stuff fairly cheap. Just pay me and the. You can pick up at their warehouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline URBAN ASSAULT

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 08:37:59 PM »

Just throwing it out there but I've got a ryerson account and can get stuff fairly cheap. Just pay me and the. You can pick up at their warehouse

That is some good to know info right there.  Thanks!

Steve

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »
I might get another 1911 but I love the one that I have.  The next .45 for me is a Glock 21 and then maybe a Sig P220.

We need a 1911 thread started!

Sig P220

I've got a p220, great gun
Jay

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Christmas SWAG 2016 - what did you get?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »

One of my Christmas presents. Put the kit together to make sure it all fit. Going to the powder coater next week - Bulldog Red.  Going to buy a 6.5hp Predator engine from Harbor Freight. I plan to bring with me on wheeling trips for fun at camp.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:36:55 PM by BigMike »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2016, 10:19:24 PM »

One of my Christmas presents. Put the kit together to make sure it all fit. Going to the powder coater next week - Bulldog Red.  Going to buy a 6.5hp Predator engine from Harbor Freight. I plan to bring with me on wheeling trips for fun at camp.

Mike, how big is that thing?  I'm curious how you'll get it to the parks...unless there's another Christmas present you haven't mentioned...FORD??
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 10:32:24 PM »

After an hour at Camp Margherita, that sucker may not last long. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM