BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Pizza on the BGE / ceramic grill  (Read 4479 times)

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Pizza on the BGE / ceramic grill
« on: January 04, 2017, 10:41:32 PM »
Post up pics of your creations and methods.

This is a topic that is regularly posted on BGE FB groups with plenty of variations. It's actually a little intimidating.

1st attempt at pizza:
Was about two years ago and haven't tried since (until tonight) I was still new to the egg and made several mistakes. Hopefully I can help others avoid those same mistakes.

First mistake, I didn't completely clean out the ash. You need very high heat. I was struggling to get it steady over 400. Platesetter and stone definitely make it tougher.  I was forcing air through it with a blow dryer to boost the heat, but it would not maintain it. 

Next, I used a basic pizza stone that we had. Apparently that's a no no. Most of those aren't made to withstand high heat. I was lucky mine didn't crack.

The dough. Plenty to learn and I'm sure there are plenty of good options. I used publix fresh dough. I read some opinions and theories on theirs after the fact.

The actual space between the stone and platesetter is important for crust, bottom, and topping to all be cooked evenly. I knew none of this and I think had the pizza stone on top of the platesetter.

Lastly, I didn't let the temp hold steady long enough before blowing clear smoke. This led to smoky tasting pizza.

Overall the pizzas cooked okay temp wise, but were smoky tasting. Kids didn't like them. We thought they were okay.

2nd attempt was tonight.  They were awesome! Kids said maybe top two or three of all time for them. I don't know about that, but they were definitely up there!

Adjustments/notes

Cleaned the Egg completely. Loaded the firebox and used the kick ash basket.  Let it get to 550 steady and actually had to hold it down to keep it there

New tools used: new pizza stone, adjustable grate (homemade for $13 at HD)

Proper set up this time, but will maybe lower pizza a little more next time.

I was told buying dough from mellow mushroom was a solid route. Great ingredients that cook well on the egg. Unfortunately, roswell MM said they wouldn't sell just dough. Turns out Allessios would, so bought theirs. It was awesome!

Not sure what I'm missing, but I'm sure I left some details out.

Finished result. Looks good, tasted better.  Crust was awesome on the bottom. Ends had some burnt spots, but barely (due to a pizza formed a little too big for the stone.) Garlic, mushroom, artichoke under the cheese. Pepperoni on top.

Jay

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
Re: Pizza on the BGE / ceramic grill
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »
Nice dude!  I've cooked a few pizzas on the grill and they usually turn out pretty good.  Not top 3 style but way better than oven baked.  I haven't really done anything special just basic stuff.  I did it with the platesetter legs up and normal grate with a BGE pizza stone on top.  It's typically turned out better when I let the stone heat up before I throw the dough on.  My biggest problem is my pizza spatula is metal and I end up putting to much flour on it to get the pizza to slide off into the stone easier and I end up with a lot of flour on the bottom of the crust.  What do you use to get the pizza from kitchen to grill?

Also what did you hear about Publix dough?  That's what I've been using.
Dan
2013 JKU

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Pizza on the BGE / ceramic grill
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 11:27:34 PM »
Good questions. Parchment paper makes the transfer really easy. You can cook the pizza on the paper (Not wax paper). I have two pizza spatulas. I made the pizzas on parchment paper on top of my wooden spatula and slide both paper and pizza onto the stone. Then used a thin metal pizza spatula to pull it off. 

Forgot to add that I turned the pizza a quarter to half turn after a few minutes.

Something about sugar in the publix dough. Cooks too fast at high heat. I don't remember what else. Hey if it works, who cares?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:30:27 PM by Raisinhead »
Jay

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »
Also, I'm sure I still have plenty more to learn. I want to get it perfect.
Jay

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »
Edit:  You beat me to it Jay!

I'll keep this short and sweet.  Get yourself some parchment paper... NOT wax paper.  Cut out some circles a little smaller than your pizza stone before you start preparing the pizzas.  Build the pizza directly on the paper and then move it to the BGE that way... the worst case is that the paper gets hot and burns a little around the edges. 

This ensures that you never have the pizza stick to your counter, or the pizza peel, or the stone.  I had too many do this, and corn meal never worked reliably.  Parchment paper is the real deal!

That pizza looks awesome by the way.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:29:18 PM by jc79 »
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:26:13 AM »
Parchment paper it is!!!!  And I'm totally open to trying some other dough.  The Publix one is just convenient and bakes up thicker than I like.  Could be me too but felt I was rolling it pretty thin.
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 01:46:56 AM »
I have probably 12 on mine now. Usually around 700 - 800 degrees high in the dome. I leave the lid up and bottom wide open. After the entire bottom is good and hot with complete fire, I close it and make sure there is no restriction through the top. Not paying attention I've gotten the grill over 1000 degrees.

I use publix pizza does because mellow isn't close to me. I put that metal plate you see in the picture below on the grate and the stone on top of that. All that round plate is, is another large thing that holds the lump in the bottom. I use it for the catch pan as well.

I use parchment paper just a little bigger than the pizza but not a lot because it will char. About half way through I pull the parchment paper out as the dough starts to firm so it can brown. Done in 7-8 once it's on.

*** I didn't use butter on the pizza crust edge so that's why mine isnt golden brown. ***

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 01:48:55 AM »
Edit:  You beat me to it Jay!

I'll keep this short and sweet.  Get yourself some parchment paper... NOT wax paper.  Cut out some circles a little smaller than your pizza stone before you start preparing the pizzas.  Build the pizza directly on the paper and then move it to the BGE that way... the worst case is that the paper gets hot and burns a little around the edges. 

This ensures that you never have the pizza stick to your counter, or the pizza peel, or the stone.  I had too many do this, and corn meal never worked reliably.  Parchment paper is the real deal!

That pizza looks awesome by the way.
Use flower on the counter, easier. I put flower down then the blob of dough of top and start working the pizza dough.

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
I want to start cooking pizzas on the grill.  I want to find a whole wheat pizza dough recipe. 

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
I've used flour and cornmeal.  They mostly work, but when they don't its crazy frustrating.  And the flour can burn pretty easily on the stone and leave a really bad taste on the pizza... parchment paper FTW.
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
I've used flour and cornmeal.  They mostly work, but when they don't its crazy frustrating.  And the flour can burn pretty easily on the stone and leave a really bad taste on the pizza... parchment paper FTW.
I don't use flower in excessive amount. I haven't had it burn. Dough is usually tack enough it absorbs all the flower and now is smooth.

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
Man that looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM