BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread  (Read 206014 times)

Offline jc79

• Visitor
Re: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread
« Reply #4116 on: November 22, 2018, 12:59:22 PM »
If a Rubi case is $1,500+ then yeah that changes things... I thought you could still pick them up for around a grand.
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4117 on: November 22, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »
If a Rubi case is $1,500+ then yeah that changes things... I thought you could still pick them up for around a grand.

I’ve been looking for a few months. I saw one go for 1300 with a bad chain. Cheapest I’ve seen
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4118 on: November 22, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
I use it enough to justify the cost.  And when I use it, its in a spot where the extra control is nice to have. I use it more so going down than going up.  It lets me go down steep/technical stuff without having to use the brakes...

Frankly, for a 2-speed case with 4:1 gearing behind a stock engine, I don't know that spending twice on the Atlas is worth it.  Grab a Rubi case.  I certainly haven't used the front dig capabilities of the twin stick more than a couple times... I'm sure others will disagree!

I’m a fan of the 4 speed too.

The low/low(10:1) is a little too low for me but, like JC, going down technical stuff it’s really nice.

What I really like is being able to swap from the 2.7:1 and the 3.8:1.  It doesn’t sound like a lot but, for me, there is a difference there that I like. 
Always good to have choices. But in the long run, nothing wrong w the 2 speed
I’ve got the two speed with 4.3 to 1 and it would be real decent to have a 2 to 1 or 2.7 to 1 sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you have the jk automatic, can’t you just shift in to 2nd gear? That drops your crawl ratio down to similar if you were at to 2.7:1
Travis Macdonald

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #4119 on: November 22, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

I’ve been looking for a few months. I saw one go for 1300 with a bad chain. Cheapest I’ve seen

The initial purchase price of the Atlas seems like a lot. But to have something factory new that is an all gear drive case, it’s a good value IMO, and I am cheap!

Plus after having independent control of front and rear axles with my 115” wheelbase, I can never go back to another case that doesn’t offer this. I find it easy to shift axles in and out of gear and use it all the time in the trail.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4120 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »

I sold mine in perfect shape for $1200. 
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4121 on: November 22, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
I use it enough to justify the cost.  And when I use it, its in a spot where the extra control is nice to have. I use it more so going down than going up.  It lets me go down steep/technical stuff without having to use the brakes...

Frankly, for a 2-speed case with 4:1 gearing behind a stock engine, I don't know that spending twice on the Atlas is worth it.  Grab a Rubi case.  I certainly haven't used the front dig capabilities of the twin stick more than a couple times... I'm sure others will disagree!

Rubi case is still chain driven and go for 1,500+. My dilemma is spend 600 and a bunch of time on an sye, yokes, and an HD chain and still only have 2.72:1, spend 1,500 on a rubi case and get 4:1 but still have a chain case and no warranty and likely have to spend another 150 or so on yokes, or spend 2,300 and have a bulletproof gear driven case with a warranty and some blingin twin sticks
Where do you buy an atlas fully loaded with twin sticks for $2300?
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #4122 on: November 22, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »

I’m a fan of the 4 speed too.

The low/low(10:1) is a little too low for me but, like JC, going down technical stuff it’s really nice.

What I really like is being able to swap from the 2.7:1 and the 3.8:1.  It doesn’t sound like a lot but, for me, there is a difference there that I like. 
Always good to have choices. But in the long run, nothing wrong w the 2 speed
I’ve got the two speed with 4.3 to 1 and it would be real decent to have a 2 to 1 or 2.7 to 1 sometimes.

Assuming you have the jk automatic, can’t you just shift in to 2nd gear? That drops your crawl ratio down to similar if you were at to 2.7:1
Yes which is fine for crawling when you are not going to stop but once you stop it shifts back into first. Where I need a little more wheel speed is when I hit something bigger from a stop. It’s impossible to start in 3rd gear which is where I need to be

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #4123 on: November 22, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »

Rubi case is still chain driven and go for 1,500+. My dilemma is spend 600 and a bunch of time on an sye, yokes, and an HD chain and still only have 2.72:1, spend 1,500 on a rubi case and get 4:1 but still have a chain case and no warranty and likely have to spend another 150 or so on yokes, or spend 2,300 and have a bulletproof gear driven case with a warranty and some blingin twin sticks

X2. my build out was over 3k
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4124 on: November 22, 2018, 03:30:54 PM »
Damn, I think I paid $3250 for my 4 speed shipped to my house with cable shifters and sight tube at the end of 2015.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #4125 on: November 22, 2018, 03:40:23 PM »
Edit: found it, it was right at $2650 shipped.

I can’t find my receipt, but I bought mine December 2013 and I remember it being around $2700 shipped with the standard shifters. If you could get 10% off that price for Black Friday that would be even better.

2 speed, 4.3, 1410 yokes, standard tailhousing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 03:42:47 PM by Scott F. »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4126 on: November 22, 2018, 03:55:57 PM »
Edit: found it, it was right at $2650 shipped.

I can’t find my receipt, but I bought mine December 2013 and I remember it being around $2700 shipped with the standard shifters. If you could get 10% off that price for Black Friday that would be even better.

2 speed, 4.3, 1410 yokes, standard tailhousing.
I think I had a free shipping code from pirate or hardline that I used in combination with 10 or 15% off.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4127 on: November 22, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »

Advanceadapers.com

Travis Macdonald

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM