BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread  (Read 196809 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Craigslist/Good Deal Thread
« Reply #3732 on: January 08, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
Can you get tags on something that has a salvaged title?
Never mind, I Googled it.
"Salvaged vehicles cannot be operated legally on public roads in GA"
Incase anybody else was wondering.
Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Not as a Salvage, but you get a "Rebuilt"..

Vehicles must go through the Rebuilt process if:
- Branded “Salvage” in Georgia.
- Out of state branded “Salvage,” “Flood,” “Water,” “Fire,” and “Total Loss.”

https://dor.georgia.gov/titles-rebuilt-or-restored-vehicles

A salvage titled vehicle must go through the Rebuilt Inspection process before a rebuilt title can be issued on vehicles that require titles.  To obtain a rebuilt title:

Be a Licensed Rebuilder – Anyone who purchases a salvage or wrecked vehicle for the purpose of restoring or rebuilding must be licensed as a rebuilder.

Pass Inspection – When the vehicle is restored but before it is painted, it must pass inspection by one of the Department’s approved private inspectors or stations.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:34:22 PM by Doug »

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #3733 on: January 08, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »

A salvage titled vehicle must go through the Rebuilt Inspection process before a rebuilt title can be issued on vehicles that require titles.  To obtain a rebuilt title:

Be a Licensed Rebuilder – Anyone who purchases a salvage or wrecked vehicle for the purpose of restoring or rebuilding must be licensed as a rebuilder.

Pass Inspection – When the vehicle is restored but before it is painted, it must pass inspection by one of the Department’s approved private inspectors or stations.

Most of that holds true, although "licensed rebuilder" im unsure about, I hold no special license as an individual or a corporation and I have rebuilt probly 10 or more, all with clean inspections. The whole licence thing was before reinspections were required by the state, meaning anyone who filled out the paperwork and got the rebuilder license could self-inspect and possibly drive some real unsafe junk on the highways at speed legally.

Everything has to be repaired and corrected, not just what you want to spend money on, meaning that little dent or scratch that had nothing to do with the accident that totaled it. When ins companies and body shops inspect possible totals absolutely every aspect of the vehicle is taken into account, meaning interior, tires, paint condition, glass, add-ons, mileage, etc.. The inspectors expect them to be 100% when inspected meaning as they came off the showroom floor.

ABSOLUTE best way to handle any thought of salvage or rebuild is to call your nearest re-inspector and ask questions, they are ALL case by case.. owner retained, bought from individual, bought from licensed reseller, bought from out of state, all have different repair methods and ways they have to be inspected at different states of repair.

I CANNOT stress enough, there are reasons they are totaled, and reasons the state does NOT want people to rebuild cars, the state and feds are purposefully making it as hard as legally possible for individuals to do. Lastly, also case by case, but most insurance companies require full coverage blanket policies on salvage/rebuilt titled autos. CYA folks, or pay the price.

https://dor.georgia.gov/state-approved-inspection-stations

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:09:16 PM by Jeeptrk »
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3734 on: January 08, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »

Most of that holds true, although "licensed rebuilder" im unsure about, I hold no special license as an individual or a corporation and I have rebuilt probly 10 or more, all with clean inspections. The whole licence thing was before reinspections were required by the state, meaning anyone who filled out the paperwork and got the rebuilder license could self-inspect and possibly drive some real unsafe junk on the highways at speed legally.

Everything has to be repaired and corrected, not just what you want to spend money on, meaning that little dent or scratch that had nothing to do with the accident that totaled it. When ins companies and body shops inspect possible totals absolutely every aspect of the vehicle is taken into account, meaning interior, tires, paint condition, glass, add-ons, mileage, etc.. The inspectors expect them to be 100% when inspected meaning as they came off the showroom floor.

ABSOLUTE best way to handle any thought of salvage or rebuild is to call your nearest re-inspector and ask questions, they are ALL case by case.. owner retained, bought from individual, bought from licensed reseller, bought from out of state, all have different repair methods and ways they have to be inspected at different states of repair.

I CANNOT stress enough, there are reasons they are totaled, and reasons the state does NOT want people to rebuild cars, the state and feds are purposefully making it as hard as legally possible for individuals to do. Lastly, also case by case, but most insurance companies require full coverage blanket policies on salvage/rebuilt titled autos. CYA folks, or pay the price.

Justin, did you look at this one? Looks to be completed long ago but carries a salvage title from another state.  Does that change anything?

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #3735 on: January 09, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »

Justin, did you look at this one? Looks to be completed long ago but carries a salvage title from another state.  Does that change anything?

it should be perfectly fine to tag in GA, if its truly a rebuilt title that would mean someone has already went through the inspection and passed. My rant was just trying to ward off anyones thoughts of how easy it would be to buy a total and rebuild for cheap, its not hardly worth it on jeeps especially bc you have to fix them to stock for inspection, then start all over with your build.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3736 on: January 27, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #3737 on: January 27, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #3738 on: January 27, 2018, 10:16:42 PM »
Seems like a bargain from here

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tro/d/1997-fleetwood-discovery-36ft/6455636571.html

Doesn’t sound right to me
it’s either supposed to be sixty thousand or it’s a divorce sale and she doesn’t care how much it sells for if it pisses him off. I heard a story the other day of someone bought a diamond ring for less than half of the appraised value because the husband of the seller was cheating.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3739 on: January 29, 2018, 09:06:47 AM »
Seems like a bargain from here

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tro/d/1997-fleetwood-discovery-36ft/6455636571.html

Doesn’t sound right to me
it’s either supposed to be sixty thousand or it’s a divorce sale and she doesn’t care how much it sells for if it pisses him off. I heard a story the other day of someone bought a diamond ring for less than half of the appraised value because the husband of the seller was cheating.
12k would be tops if it was factory perfect. That thing is ancient by today's RV standards.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3740 on: February 01, 2018, 06:38:40 AM »
Nice 7.3 dually

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3741 on: February 01, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »
Near me there is a '00,4 door, flatbed, 5 speed, 4x4 dually for $10k. New transmission. Looks like ass.
I thought it was way too much.

Also, @ Bargain Mart in Gainesville they have a magnetic door kit for a 4 door JK for $120.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:26:57 PM by Big Dave »

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3742 on: February 01, 2018, 07:41:48 PM »
2007 3.8 motor, transmission & 4.1 t case with 45k for $3k on HL.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3743 on: February 02, 2018, 12:24:13 AM »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM