BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Used Synthetic winch rope  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Cleveland99

• Visitor
Re: Used Synthetic winch rope
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »
How does lack of eyelet reduce rope strength?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something physics related...Google can help
Click click click

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
How does lack of eyelet reduce rope strength?

Something physics related...Google can help
Click click click

Are you going to be at the next ride...or phoning it in like you do on most rides?  I'll have the toy ready for you, if you attend
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:14:09 AM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »
Lack of an eyelet focuses the load on a smaller area rather than being spread out, and it creates abrasion heat and strand failure from the rope moving more at the point of the direct load. Rarely would a pin match the shape and size of the loop as well as the eyelet.

Offline Cleveland99

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 12:38:22 AM »
Lack of an eyelet focuses the load on a smaller area rather than being spread out, and it creates abrasion heat and strand failure from the rope moving more at the point of the direct load. Rarely would a pin match the shape and size of the loop as well as the eyelet.
Understand good explaination, Thanks I was looking at it in a different way.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »
The lack of the eyelet will dramatically reduce the strength of the rope.  I doubt it will impact your application, but understand it is for more than "keeping its shape"

I get what youre saying. The metal end on Jay's spare rope has an approximate diameter of 7/8". The end of my rope will go around a 7/8" tube, so hopefully any loss of strength is minimal.

If it breaks, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, and then promptly blame @Scott F. for handing down cheap rope :)

Lol, it should work fine for what you are doing but it is really old. I think I bought that winch line sometime around 2002. Since you don't have one of those new fangled JKs, your rig shouldn't be allergic to old parts.   //LMAO//

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 08:23:52 AM »
The lack of the eyelet will dramatically reduce the strength of the rope.  I doubt it will impact your application, but understand it is for more than "keeping its shape"

I get what youre saying. The metal end on Jay's spare rope has an approximate diameter of 7/8". The end of my rope will go around a 7/8" tube, so hopefully any loss of strength is minimal.

If it breaks, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, and then promptly blame @Scott F. for handing down cheap rope :)

Lol, it should work fine for what you are doing but it is really old. I think I bought that winch line sometime around 2002. Since you don't have one of those new fangled JKs, your rig shouldn't be allergic to old parts.   //LMAO//

Old parts? This may be one of the newest things on it

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
In sailing and boating one would not use a metal eyelet to aid the spliced loop as the metal will cause chaffing on the line and lead to failures. West Marine is a good resource for splicing fids. I have found for some line that a knitting needle works well as it is tapered on the end and designed to easily slide between the weaves.  West also sells a uv anti chaffe webbing (the webbing is hollow) that can be used on the last few feet of the winch line to thwart degradation by the sun.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »
I ordered my fids off Amazon. Came with three different diameters

Bobby

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE