BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Is this a smoking good deal?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Re: Is this a smoking good deal?
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
I never had any problems with them but I always considered them a Tier 2 firearm - meaning there is a reason their prices are lower than other top brands.

I've had the same viewpoint as Mike.  I think more highly of their revolvers than other lines but even their revolvers aren't on the same level as a Colt.  Doesn't mean they are bad guns. 

Not like they are hipoints... //poke// //poke// //rere//  //;D// //;D//

Exactly.  Or Charter Arms.  Taurus got their start copying Smiths and Berettas making them in Brazil.  But they've come a long way. 

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »
I never had any problems with them but I always considered them a Tier 2 firearm - meaning there is a reason their prices are lower than other top brands.

I've had the same viewpoint as Mike.  I think more highly of their revolvers than other lines but even their revolvers aren't on the same level as a Colt.  Doesn't mean they are bad guns. 

Not like they are hipoints... //poke// //poke// //rere//  //;D// //;D//

Exactly.  Or Charter Arms.  Taurus got their start copying Smiths and Berettas making them in Brazil.  But they've come a long way. 

not gonna argue with that at all  //cheers2//
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
Hey now,...... Hi Point makes a good Saturday night special. Lol

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
There carbine is fun to shoot...LOL
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
I would personally stay away from Taurus. For a little more money you can get a better gun. Just my opinion though.

have any of you guys actually had a Taurus that had problems or is all this hate on a manufacturer coming from hearsay and internet commandos?

ive had 4, three new in my name, and i can honestly say ive never had any of them hiccup, fantastic shooters and reliable. the 4th was a pawn shop purchase that unknowingly had been home-gunsmithed to death, but even then Taurus warrantied it and it wasnt even originally bought by me.

now I say all this and i carry either Kimber or Glock, but not even Kimber anymore because it would hiccup every now and then. I do still have the other 3 Taurus and would trust them anytime, face it guys, we are not having to carry them into battle and put tens of thousands of rounds through em, even if I were, id shoot that sucker till it wouldnt run anymore. JMHO. now flame on.
As a matter of fact I have had a Taurus, I actually purchased it as my first pistol years back. It was never an accurate pistol, pain in the butt to strip down, didn't carry well and did I mention how horrible the accuracy was. Other than that it was a fine firearm, my dad actually still keeps it around his house for a backup. I personally will never own another Taurus semi auto though. The revolvers on the other hand are another story.
Alex

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:00 AM »
Bought my wife a Taurus PT145 about 12 years ago took it out to the range and less than 20 rounds fired the trigger broke. Did a bit more research and found there were a lot of other issues as well with the PT models up to and including the frame cracking.

Sent the pistol back to Taurus and had them repair it under warranty and when I got it back sold it and bought here a Glock G19.

Maybe they have addressed and corrected the issues from the past but I will never buy one again and have it for a personal defense weapon.

On another note the Taurus 1911 frame pistols I've heard both good and bad stories. They would come to around a 60/40 mix with the bad leading the good.

In my personal opinion I would not go less than a S&W, Glock, Sig, FN, or H&K for a duty/PDW for everyday carry. For a cheap truck gun it might be a consideration for someone though.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 05:33:11 AM »
I noticed most of the issues you all experienced was years ago. They've had time to make improvements.

I bought a Ruger P95 years ago. It was useless unless 10 feet or less than the target. I sold it & then went and bought a Ruger SR9. One bad apple didn't spoil my view of Ruger.

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 06:24:37 AM »
I had the Taurus PT809 but felt like it was to bulky
for daily carry (17 rounds) Bought the G2 and feel it
is a better size for me to carry compared to my Ruger
LC9s or my Taurus 740 slim.

These are my first handguns so I don't have the pleasure
of firing the better name brands. Hell probably would feel
like y'all if I did try them....just my limited experience.

Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
both of mine are steel frame PT 92 styles, the ones modeled after Beretta, and the third is a revolver thats Beths. I have no doubt that a young company would have problems with a new product or material, but overall itd be hard for me to fault a company with such a good warranty.

On the point of accuracy, every guns shoots different, ive had folks say that one didnt shoot for shit and i could pick it up and it would shoot fine. Then again, ive had guns that pulled or pushed and i couldnt shoot, IMO its mostly user usually, myself included.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
both of mine are steel frame PT 92 styles, the ones modeled after Beretta, and the third is a revolver thats Beths. I have no doubt that a young company would have problems with a new product or material, but overall itd be hard for me to fault a company with such a good warranty.

On the point of accuracy, every guns shoots different, ive had folks say that one didnt shoot for shit and i could pick it up and it would shoot fine. Then again, ive had guns that pulled or pushed and i couldnt shoot, IMO its mostly user usually, myself included.

The quality of the PT92 today has to be pretty good.  They've been making that gun for over 30 years. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM