BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »
Thanks for updating this Kevin.

I'm in search for a trailer now and was curious how everyone secures their rig their trailer. Who All has a pic how they tow? I see yours above Kevin and these straps look like nice quality. I've seen numerous discussions on strapping to the axes vs strapping to the bumpers.(any one arrived and found a strap that fell off or came loose with the jeep suspension bouncing). Also I've read strapping in an "X" configuration or not.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:18:50 AM by tcdawg »
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: ratchet straps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »
I have a tow strap kit from Summit. I think it was around $150, and looked similar to a Mac's kit I was researching. Whatever straps you get, I would make sure they clip on (a spring loaded gate so they can't fall off if they become loose)

I attach to the axles using the axle wrap straps, and the other end goes to the corner of the trailer with some tow rings I welded on.
I personally don't cross straps, and also wouldn't attach to a bumper since the jeep does bounce and suspension cycles while trailering.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »

I'm in search for a trailer now and was curious how everyone secures their rig their trailer. Who All has a pic how they tow? I see yours above Kevin and these straps look like nice quality. I've seen numerous discussions on strapping to the axes vs strapping to the bumpers.(any one arrived and found a strap that fell off or came loose with the jeep suspension bouncing). Also I've read strapping in an "X" configuration or not.
The x versus not-x is almost religious.  I'm a nonbeliever in x. 

You may find some people who feel they have to strap the body and axles..."it moves around too much"...bitch please.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline beve1661

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
I use Mac straps, on axles, with axle straps,  straight back. haven't had any problems with loose straps.
beve1661

Bill

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »
With the ORI's you don't have the spring effect while
strapping to bumper.....At CFR I had a lot of fire wood
in the bed so I adjusted the Jeep on the trailer and
then used axle straps and strapped to axles in the rear.
I love my strap's with the spring loaded "gate" as Pat
called them.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
Justin I have had straps come undone before.....
So then I went to straps with chain extenstions
until I found the ones I have now in the picture.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »
I run mine as straight out as I can and with the shortest distance possible. If, hypothetically, you cross straps and lose one of them, the jeep could be free to bounce to the opposite side.

D-rings are welded to the trailer frame, below the deck so i cut those 2 boards to make it easier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 03:30:53 PM »
Awesome Info here! Thanks guys. I an definitely going with the ends that have spring loaded clasps to keep them closed.
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
I run mine as straight out as I can and with the shortest distance possible. If, hypothetically, you cross straps and lose one of them, the jeep could be free to bounce to the opposite side.

D-rings are welded to the trailer frame, below the deck so i cut those 2 boards to make it easier.

I hit a rounded curb turning into a gas station when coming back from Golden last year.  I had my straps running straight back in the rear.  When that happened,  the trailer tilted and popped up a bit which caused the Jeep to almost shift laterally off the trailer with only about an inch of the rear passenger tire remaining on the trailer.  I now cross my rear straps to provide more lateral stability.
Oh wow that's crazy. I may have to rethink my strategy...

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »
i always cross mine front and rear. I think you would get the same affect if you ran them wide on your axles and out to the sides of your trailer at a 45 deg angle. Im sure somebody will point out that im wrong on that.

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
this is just my .02, but ive hauled for years and years for/with the shop and always have overcompensated on longer trips by going to the bumpers or frame and to the axles for extra insurance. I will always believe no matter what others say that it is better to strap to the frame at some point whether its the bumpers/clevis/holes and cinch that thing tight. It lessens drag by sucking the rig down and most important to me it keeps the rigs from bouncing like @BigPrince described when hitting a curb or pothole. If it is tight like it should be, there is no way it can bounce. If you are to the axle only that sucker is free to sway or bounce however it wants, i know every tow truck in the country throws one chain over one axle and cinches the vehicle with a winch and trusts it, i just dont, its just me.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »

I have done both ways: to bumpers and to axles. For Jeep axles there is stuff everywhere so I use bumpers. For full width axles, I'll use the axles.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM