BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion  (Read 2950 times)

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: Re: ratchet straps
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
I have a tow strap kit from Summit. I think it was around $150, and looked similar to a Mac's kit I was researching. Whatever straps you get, I would make sure they clip on (a spring loaded gate so they can't fall off if they become loose)

I use that same strap kit from Summit.  Have had them for about 2 years I think.  Very pleased with them.

I use axle straps at the axle.  On the front, I strap to the welded D rings on the trailer frame rail so those straps are not perfectly straight, maybe 30 degrees.  On the rear I strap straight back. 

I have also read, as @BigPrince mentioned, to have at least one full wrap on the ratchet.  I have been doing this for the last few years and rarely have a loose strap when I check them.  Rain can seem to loosen a strap and if it is raining or starts to rain on my trip I will stop more frequently to check them.

I also check all four straps whenever I stop to get fuel or food, etc and visually look at the tires to see of the jeep has moved any on the trailer.  With the wider axles now, my tires are over the frame rails just a bit and I am much more cognizant of checking to make sure the tires have not moved. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:32:06 AM by tcdawg »

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 09:14:13 AM »
New straps will stretch just a bit the first time they're under a load. I also double check before I get on the highway which is a few miles from my house that they're still tight, and always ensure I have a wrap or two on the buckle. I've never had a loose strap.

*I also strap while in neutral so that there isn't any stress put on the trans/tc if the jeep shifts. I'll move it into gear when I'm done.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: ratchet straps
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »
I'm positive that in an accident on my trailer, the board mounted d rings would just pull the boards off my trailer instead of holding the jeep to the trailer!
I know for a fact they will either pull boards, break them or rip out.  //:hlp// Been there done that.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »
Would more wraps hold even tighter?

Also, after reading all of this it seems like the logical thing to do is connect every strap differently. One front cross to axle, one straight to bumper, etc :)
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »

Also, after reading all of this it seems like the logical thing to do is connect every strap differently. One front cross to axle, one straight to bumper, etc :)
I think there is a point of limited benefit, but I do wrap at least one time around the ratchet core.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 09:46:22 AM »

Tighter? No, but it's less likely to back out. I think of it as winch rope. No one really wants to pull from he first rap.

The rest of your post is spot on.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »

Tighter? No, but it's less likely to back out. I think of it as winch rope. No one really wants to pull from he first rap.

The rest of your post is spot on.

That's what I meant
Jay

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Rain does cause the fibers to loosen and the strap stretches, and I wonder if that effects them over time when we stress them wet.  Once things are hooked up good, and unless it started raining, the straps are like a banjo string at every stop, and hard as a rock when you hit them. 
The company Kevin posted sells the Chinese straps/kits/parts cheap, and they have USA made with edge guard for a few bucks more.
https://www.ratchetstraps.com/usa-tie-downs

I have no problem getting a few wraps tightening down after pulling the strap tight to start.. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:53:35 AM by Doug »

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
as per the usual @tcdawg makes the most sense .. probly the single most important thing in this whole discussion is check em everytime you stop, watch em when you turn, whatever you can do to pay close attention to make sure IF they have come loose to catch it in time.

on thing i dont get is just like the x vs non x argument is at least go to opposite corners rather than straight forward or back, even if you dont cross, if not then there is no side to side tension at all. stirring the pot..
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
on thing i dont get is just like the x vs non x argument is at least go to opposite corners rather than straight forward or back, even if you dont cross, if not then there is no side to side tension at all. stirring the pot..

Tight straight forward and back can't move side to side.

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »

id say the same about tight from the frame. if tight like it should be.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »

id say the same about tight from the frame. if tight like it should be.

Are you saying tied down tight from the frame shouldn't move? A severe down bump will compress it more than the tie down force and make the straps bounce, and stretch them or work them loose.  The only way I felt that worked was when I pulled it down onto the bump stops hard. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM