BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion  (Read 2945 times)

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
Re: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
on thing i dont get is just like the x vs non x argument is at least go to opposite corners rather than straight forward or back, even if you dont cross, if not then there is no side to side tension at all. stirring the pot..

Tight straight forward and back can't move side to side.
id say the same about tight from the frame. if tight like it should be.

Are you saying tied down tight from the frame shouldn't move? A severe down bump will compress it more than the tie down force and make the straps bounce, and stretch them or work them loose.  The only way I felt that worked was when I pulled it down onto the bump stops hard. 

thats what im saying, if its tight enough then theres no way it could move, unless you are prerunning with your trailer attached. we may all just have to agree to disagree on this topic, just like which radio is better.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »
on thing i dont get is just like the x vs non x argument is at least go to opposite corners rather than straight forward or back, even if you dont cross, if not then there is no side to side tension at all. stirring the pot..

Are you saying tied down tight from the frame shouldn't move? A severe down bump will compress it more than the tie down force and make the straps bounce, and stretch them or work them loose.  The only way I felt that worked was when I pulled it down onto the bump stops hard. 

thats what im saying, if its tight enough then theres no way it could move, unless you are prerunning with your trailer attached. we may all just have to agree to disagree on this topic, just like which radio is better.

Which radio do you think is better?

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 08:03:52 PM »
I'm new to the tow game.
My XJ has one strap looped around the rear axle. The strap hooks into the bus body. The front is just sitting there. The weight of the Jeep keeps it planted. If it ever does shift I'll add a floor tie down.
When I got to AOP the rear had shifted some but it stayed put on the ride home.
I want to chain the rearend of the XJ to the tow hooks on the bus. I don't really trust ONE strap to keep the Jeep from crashing thru the back of cab.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
I'd really recommend putting straps on it.  Straps aren't for when things are fine,  they're the insurance for when shit hits the fan like violent movements - eg. someone cuts you off and it's all you can do to whip it in the other lane hoping nothing goes flying out.  I know you've got the bedsides to help but I'd still strap it down.  God forbid something happen and it goes flying out and hits oncoming traffic head on and you have to defend why you didn't strap it down to 12 peers who know even less than we do about straps.
A wise man...Don.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »
The rear is strapped down. The front will be before next trip out.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2017, 09:52:30 PM »
I use to X mine but now I don't but they are still angled out away from the axle to the trailer tie down point. The main reason for the change was the addition of new tie down anchors I added to the trailer in better locations and the chaffing or the straps at the X point.  I would caution people to be aware of the angle that you are putting you straps at due to the effect that it has on the restraint it will provide in a given direction.

Generally speaking, with a strap at an angle to the longitudinal axis of the rig (front to rear), there are three mutually perpendicular components of force that all make up the resultant force vector that is the strap rating from one end of the strap to the other. This is important to think about when looking at how your straps are on there and the amount of restraint they are going to apply in a given direction.  Through resolution of forces you can determine each individual component force i.e. how much is it going to hold back in a forward collision before the strap breaks and sends the jeep forward into the back of my head.

A lot of us use the 2 inch wide ratchet straps that are rated at a breaking strength of 10K.  If you look up restraint of loads in military aircraft, they recommend 30 degrees from the longitudinal axis (so 30 degrees out from your axle attachment to the point on the trailer) and 30 degrees horizontal (so from the trailer deck up to the axle attachment point a 30 degree angle, not much you can do here, small tire I guess you better get bigger tires if you need more of an angle down to the trailer).  Lets think about the rear straps but the same will apply to the front (just substitute forces resulting from deceleration to forces from acceleration, I think we are all concerned with the decel and lateral the most through). Ok so that means that 10 K rated strap is now providing a restraint of 7,490 lbs of restraint from the rig on the trailer moving forward in on the longitudinal axis (towards your head....eeek), 4,330 lbs of lateral restraint for when you make those aggressive lane swerves or pull a BigPrince curb jump  //LMAO//, and 5,000 lbs of vertical component restraint which could come into play if the trailer rolls.  Skipping over the dynamic forces acting on the trailer load during an accident or evasive maneuver, this means that if you slam on the brakes your 10 K rated strap now is providing 74.9 percent of that capacity in keeping your rig from moving forward into your head.  If your strap was straight forward to back it could provide more restraint but it would lack the lateral restraint component that the two equally opposing angled straps would be providing. So swerving could result in some undesirable shifting on the trailer.  The more you angle those straps either out wide to each side or the angle provided by crossing them the lower the amount of restraint before reaching the breaking limit is going to be.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
I'm positive that in an accident on my trailer, the board mounted d rings would just pull the boards off my trailer instead of holding the jeep to the trailer!

@clark123456  board mounted? that's scary. A month from now when my school is out you can bring your trailer to my house and I will weld on some real attachment points.  I will consider it my good deed contribution to society...or to those on the interstates at least  //LMAO//

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »
That's a better way to put it without all my rambling.

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2017, 03:13:45 AM »
Lord that made my head hurt reading that.....   //LMAO//
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
Good thread. Not much to add. I use axle straps and the Mac ratchet straps with the spring loaded hook discussed and I attach to welded on attachment points on the trailer frame. I prefer to air up the tires when on the trailer.  I am also religious about checking the straps at every stop on a ride. When I tow at night I also like to put my Jeep rock lights on so I can see the jeep better in the mirrors and detect any movement.  I also feel the more visibility I give to others may help as well for abrupt lane changes by others at night.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:00:53 AM by jd30005 »
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2017, 07:21:42 AM »
. When I tow at night I also like to put my Jeep rock lights on so I can see the jeep better in the mirrors and detect any movement.  I also feel the more visibility I give to others may help as well for abrupt lane changes by others at night.

that is a really good idea.  I will be doing that next time I'm pulling at night.

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »

Which radio do you think is better?
Not even gonna take this bait lol. I got flamed not even a week after joining this forum for even suggesting the use of non cb radios.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM