BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion  (Read 3121 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Securing your Rig on a trailer discussion
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »
Do you want us to order and weld the rings on for you? 

I am sure we'll have a crew who can strap your jeep down, just tell us where and when.

Since your trailer is 18' long, figure you need no more than 9' straps for this application.  Let me know if you find heavy duty straps shorter than that, and post a link ;) 

Are you going to do body/frame, or axle strap downs?  Crossed or straight?

I have observed so many Mac straps come loose, that I'm no longer interested in that brand; It's a good thing they come with safety clips.  I've had one of my straps come loose before, but I consistently see it with Mac strap users.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wait - who lost a strap on the MoabCo trip?  It wasn't a Mac straps owner.
I noted that...but who nearly threw their jeep off the trailer and bought a new trailer because of it? 

I'm just stating that I've seen way too many Mac straps come loose, to the point I'm no longer a fan.  It could have been user error, but I'm suspicious of the seat belt material they use coming loose.

"loose" and "lost" are different words.

My trailer issue was the Jeep was already hanging off both side and I hit a curb too fast in a turn.  I still think Xing the back would have helped the lateral motion more than straight back but it's a pain to X them in my current setup.  My straps were also not loose when that happened.

It was VERY loose!

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »
I think a couple of us have this kit from summit. I've also never had a strap work lose. The only "issue" is I wish it came with the Velcro loops for securing the excess strap.

For securing the excess strap, I just use zip ties. I keep an extra pack in the trailer box.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
I think a couple of us have this kit from summit. I've also never had a strap work lose. The only "issue" is I wish it came with the Velcro loops for securing the excess strap.

For securing the excess strap, I just use zip ties. I keep an extra pack in the trailer box.

That seems like to obvious of a solution... do you secure it back the the strap with tension? Or just let the bundled material flap around?

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »

That seems like to obvious of a solution... do you secure it back the the strap with tension? Or just let the bundled material flap around?
I leave a little "slack" in the strap coming out of the ratchet so I can adjust tension if needed and then just fold the excess back and forth on itself and zip tie the bundle to the strap above the ratchet mechanism.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »
The guy I bought mine from had added the d-rings in the floor.
He only hauled 4 wheelers....I added them to the frame

Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2017, 09:43:04 AM »
I'm positive that in an accident on my trailer, the board mounted d rings would just pull the boards off my trailer instead of holding the jeep to the trailer!
Been there, done that.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »
My strapdown solution is lifting slings and 3" ratchets from Northern Tool.  I cut off the excess from the ratchet straps.  I use the ratchet hook to connect to the bottom of stake pockets, although a welded ring would be better.

I cross the straps in the rear around the diff;  I've seen plenty of threads arguing this on Pirate and elsewhere over the years, but it works for me.  Likewise arguments about axle vs. frame.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
As far as the extra strap....been tempted to cut
it down but can't bring myself to do it. You never
know when you might haul something different.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
You guys are overthinking it

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
You guys are overthinking it

So that's how the mall crowd does it.....nice
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »
Justin, a couple of tips for a newb:

SWAY 
If you experience trailer sway or the trailer wagging the dog, do not let it escalate,
DO NOT hit the foot brakes as the truck has much more powerful brakes and the trailer has a delay as the magnets charge and it can make things worse depending on how bad the sway got.   
Instead, ENGAGE THE TRAILER BRAKE HAND LEVER FULLY and it will brake the trailer and straighten it out.  Now apply truck brakes and keep your speed under where that happened.  It can be fine and a tractor trailer go by or you pass, or a windy day can make it start. 
If SWAY occurs, stop, loosen the straps and move the Jeep FORWARD 6 inches, and give it a try.  If it does it again, move it forward another 6 inches.  You'll find the sweet spot, and can always load it there after that.  You should never have it again once the load is properly distributed. 

BRAKE CONTROLLER
Set the brakes by setting it to 3 and getting up to about 10mph and engage it fully and you should feel them slightly.  Perfect.  If not turn higher and repeat.  If too much, lower and repeat.  You don't want the trailer stopping the truck. 

LOAD LEVELING
On the load leveling hitch, I don't see the need for a single car trailer ever, but I do see the need for AIR BAGS.  Does your Luxury Chariot have the load leveling option in the rear?  If not, these are cheap, and will level the rig with very little pressure, keeping the front end down, steering normal, headlights down, and drives like normal.  $83.  http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2966A0A0.aspx

MOUNTAINS:
Since you'll be traveling up and over and down the mountains,
DOWN: take it easy, gear down, keep it under control, it will want to go fast, very fast
UP: Don't expect to maintain 55mph up the big ones, but you might with that beast, but gear down so that it brings your rpms up a little into a place you are comfortable with and the truck can maintain the climb comfortably. 

The worst oh shit moment is too fast downhill and sway starts so never let it get to that.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM