BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: People in Custody for Bridge Fire  (Read 407 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
People in Custody for Bridge Fire
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:17:05 PM »

Basil Eleby has been charged with first degree criminal damage to property and two others are charged with criminal trespass. 

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gdot-i-85-repairs-after-bridge-collapse-will-take-months/507873904
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:21:20 PM by Doug »

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: People in Custody for Bridge Fire
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
You've heard the expression "under the jail"?
They should be under the bridge.

I hope they are in protective custody cause there are a mess of Atlantians that would sure like to get their hands on them for messing with their commute.
And I would not blame them.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
What's the guess on this guy's education, occupation, age, and motive?
Ex employee of Gdot or Marta?
Homeless?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
I heard he was a meth head from someone in my neighborhood FB group, loner type. I think he's a scapegoat. And it was more likely a faulty electrical issue and poor material storage. He was supposedly high at the time....if you have ever been high you know motor functions are poor so I am not sure he had the where with all to start a fire.

I wonder why we had to get a FOAM pumper fire engine from Hartsfield...there is a Fire Station less than 1 minute from there on Armor Drive/Cheshire Bridge. Seems like maybe they didn't respond due to it being a GDOT compound. Makes you wonder what would happen if there was an issue downtown.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
I imagine the water trucks were ineffective after the PVC caught fire. But the video I saw before the PVC caught fire looked like they should have been able to put it out. I guess its easy to be a back seat driver. I'm sure Marc @ranier1315  is rolling his eyes!
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »
I imagine the water trucks were ineffective after the PVC caught fire. But the video I saw before the PVC caught fire looked like they should have been able to put it out. I guess its easy to be a back seat driver. I'm sure Marc @ranier1315  is rolling his eyes!
//agree//

I have several friends that work for ATL fire. The biggest problem was access. There are several posts on FB showing APD trying to get in a gate that was locked. This gate was from the southbound access road. That was the first location of the call. The engine responded from north of there. By the time units were arriving and figured out the best access was from piedmont the fire had grown exponentially and required multiple alarms. The PVC pipe that was burning was basically solid petroleum. As for the foam trucks, foam is the only way to extinguish a petroleum fire. A standard structural fire engine holds 10 gallons of foam concentrate at best. This makes 600 gallons of foam. An engine flows 1000 gallons a minute. Getting the foam to the seat of the fire is a problem A crash truck carries around 500 gallons of foam concentrate and 2000 gallons of water. They are the best apparatus for the type of fire they were dealing with. The bridge collapsed before they could make it through the traffic jam on 85N.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
I want to know:

What exactly was the product and what is it used for?
Who managed the purchase in 2007 and OVER BOUGHT material with tax payer money that sits under a major hwy for 10 years?
How much was the kick back on that 10+ year or maybe infinity supply purchase?
How much had the material degraded from UV exposure and was it even usable?
What was the value of the loss of the material?
Why were they saying it was NON-COMBUSTIBLE and NON-FLAMMABLE?

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
Watching the fire on TV, an official from APD opined that they didn't use foam at first because they didn't know what was burning underneath the bridge.  Apparently foam pollutes local water sources so there is some hesitation to use it when water seems to be working.

It appears that the conduit was elsewhere some of the time.  Google Streetview from a few years ago shows that the underpass was empty.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
Watching the fire on TV, an official from APD opined that they didn't use foam at first because they didn't know what was burning underneath the bridge.  Apparently foam pollutes local water sources so there is some hesitation to use it when water seems to be working.

It appears that the conduit was elsewhere some of the time.  Google Streetview from a few years ago shows that the underpass was empty.

It shouldn't.  I used to do Fire Sprinkler systems and a foam system could flood an air force jet hanger 10 ft deep in minutes, and they hosed it off into the drains because it was bio safe.  Maybe the truck foam is different. 

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM