BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: If you're tired of keeping​ a secret...  (Read 2512 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: If you're tired of keeping​ a secret...
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
Incredible. 3 rigs to these in a week.

Our group 1 - 43 stickies
Group 2 - everybody else
Who has 43's?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Well, 42.9" according to the maxxis website

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Still not 43s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Widely recognized tire size reporting standards

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »

I'm not sure what my rear tire being off has to do with the tires in this thread anyway...
  You getting that corner damage and taillight repaired or are going just going keep it as Trail wear?
   That really must of hit hard to push that much of your armor in.

I could be wrong but I don't think he has any damage.  The lights fit more flush than stock with the armor.  Hard to see both sides with the angle of the pic.
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 02:50:03 AM »
He got some damage on waterfall last ride on rear passenger side
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:46 AM »

I'm not sure what my rear tire being off has to do with the tires in this thread anyway...
  You getting that corner damage and taillight repaired or are going just going keep it as Trail wear?

I could be wrong but I don't think he has any damage.  The lights fit more flush than stock with the armor.  Hard to see both sides with the angle of the pic.
Meh, slight damage that I'm pretty sure he's getting fixed.

After a bit of investigation (standing around bs'ing), I concluded I would not buy that armor system for a trail Jeep.  The metal is very thin, and as someone else pointed out, the side and rear on a corner are separate pieces, so energy is not distributed across a very large area on a hit like he took at waterfall.  I think they tried to tie the side and rear together with a third piece, but it looks like it would only work if you hit directly on that corner piece.

I'm not slamming his choice, and I don't know if 1/4" plate would have saved him, but in a situation where you're fitting a huge vehicle into a tight space, that system has some weaknesses IMO.  It is great looking.

Of course, you could just drive better! 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:37:30 AM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 06:18:51 AM »

Meh, slight damage that I'm pretty sure he's getting fixed.

After a bit of investigation (standing around bs'ing), I concluded I would not buy that armor system for a trail Jeep.  The metal is very thin, and as someone else pointed out, the side and rear on a corner are separate pieces, so energy is not distributed across a very large area on a hit like he took at waterfall.  I think they tried to tie the side and rear together with a third piece, but it looks like it would only work if you hit directly on that corner piece.

I'm not slamming his choice, and I don't know if 1/4" plate would have saved him, but in a situation where you're fitting a huge vehicle into a tight space, that system has some weaknesses IMO.  It is great looking.

Of course, you could just drive better! 

I didn't post about the armor since this isn't my build thread. 

No armor would have helped the way I hit the tree cause it was above the armor line and on the soft top lip area.  Savvy with the rub rail *might* have helped but most likely it would have been worse cause I'd be running armorless and still waiting for my order to come in.

Clark may not buy it but I've whacked that armor multiple other times with no issue.  That armor also allows for the 42s due to the increased clearance so I would still buy it again.
True on savvy!  Do they make a rub rail for JKU?

The only reason I posted it here was because it wasn't your build thread!

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 07:57:10 AM »

No armor would have helped the way I hit the tree cause it was above the armor line and on the soft top lip area.  Savvy with the rub rail *might* have helped but most likely it would have been worse cause I'd be running armorless and still waiting for my order to come in.

Clark may not buy it but I've whacked that armor multiple other times with no issue.  That armor also allows for the 42s due to the increased clearance so I would still buy it again.

But will it allow for 42.9s?
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 08:32:33 AM »

But will it allow for 42.9s?

#not43's

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 08:51:06 AM »
#not43's

Bigger than 40's

Mine aren't even 40's but they are sticky. I hope these are just as sticky as i will probably sell mine and go to a 40. (can't fit a 42.9 due to axle width). I noticed at hale there were a few places where @tcdawg had the clearance to get over stuff where i had to take a different approach to make it.

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »
#not43's

Bigger than 40's

Oh Doug, do not be fooled! He does not have 40s.
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
#not43's

Bigger than 40's

Mine aren't even 40's but they are sticky. I hope these are just as sticky as i will probably sell mine and go to a 40. (can't fit a 42.9 due to axle width). I noticed at hale there were a few places where @tcdawg had the clearance to get over stuff where i had to take a different approach to make it.
Sam...please explain the axle width comment.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
#not43's

Bigger than 40's

Sam...please explain the axle width comment.

I think Sam's axles arent full width, they're slightly shorter. Not an issue with 39s, he just can't run big boy tires until his next axle swap.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM