BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Need some serious help - girlfriends Escape smells like gear oil  (Read 398 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
When I picked up my axle this past weekend, I used my girlfriend's '05 Escape to haul it around in. Since this bad boy is still under factory warranty and looks like it just rolled out of the factory, I was very careful. I put the axle on a sheet of painter's plastic and a cheap fleece blanket (to absorb any leaks) and still managed to get some gear oil on the carpet in the trunk (maybe a few oz's, hardly anything). Other than this small spot, nothing got on the car's interior. I shampooed the carpet, scrubbed the crap out of the interior panels, sprayed Febreeze, stuck a huge air freshener/odor absorber in the back, park it with the windows cracked and it still has that distinct gear oil old farts smell. The air fresheners/odor absorbers just make it smell like a fart getting ready for a hot date. I am rather embarassed since I worked for the largest full service carwash/detail shop in Augusta throughout highschool and still detail cars on the side every now and then and I can't get this damn smell out. If I ever want to use Beth's car for a high mpg parts hauler again - or get any action (kidding) - I need to get this stank out, so please give me some suggestions.  {toast}
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
Re: Need some serious help - girlfriends Escape smells like gear oil
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
Oust or one of those freshners that removes the odor, not cover it up. Drive around a lot with the windows down. Baking soda. Peanut Butter. Cigar Smoke. Blame it on her and make her fix it.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »
Oust or one of those freshners that removes the odor, not cover it up. Drive around a lot with the windows down. Baking soda. Peanut Butter. Cigar Smoke. Blame it on her and make her fix it.

She would KILL ME if I lit up a Padron inside her car, lol. I think I might try the baking soda fridge pack tomorrow.
- Jimmy

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »
Hahaha, sorry man, but that's funny ritch there!  ;)

I honestly think the only thing that's gonna get it out is fresh air. Similar incident... ha,

well our door in our dorm room this year was extremely heavy (The hydro arm was way too powerful) so I decided I was gonna fix that.  ::) I locked the door and climbed up on a chair to have a look at it. I loosened one screw and then noticed the "fill" label under it, so I decided that was not a good one to be unscrewing since I didn't want to mess with the fluid. So I find the one that looks like the strength adjustment, and I go back to the other one to screw it back in. About that time my roommate lays into the door (the lock didn't do its job) throws me off the chair and when the door swung closed the pressure blew the screw out and hydrolic fluid went all over the wall and into our closet. That smell was horrifying, ha, just like gear oil. All we had was water and Goo Gone. It smelled for about 3 days and then went completely away.

Jimmy, you know how far our room is from the front door. People were walking in and saying, "what is that smell?!" haha

It should go away in time. If you've hit it with all the cleaners you've got, there's nothing more to do than roll all the windows down, fold the back seat down, leave the trunk up, and drive the crap out of it  ;D
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »
Hahaha, sorry man, but that's funny ritch there!  ;)

I honestly think the only thing that's gonna get it out is fresh air. Similar incident... ha,

well our door in our dorm room this year was extremely heavy (The hydro arm was way too powerful) so I decided I was gonna fix that.  ::) I locked the door and climbed up on a chair to have a look at it. I loosened one screw and then noticed the "fill" label under it, so I decided that was not a good one to be unscrewing since I didn't want to mess with the fluid. So I find the one that looks like the strength adjustment, and I go back to the other one to screw it back in. About that time my roommate lays into the door (the lock didn't do its job) throws me off the chair and when the door swung closed the pressure blew the screw out and hydrolic fluid went all over the wall and into our closet. That smell was horrifying, ha, just like gear oil. All we had was water and Goo Gone. It smelled for about 3 days and then went completely away.

Jimmy, you know how far our room is from the front door. People were walking in and saying, "what is that smell?!" haha

It should go away in time. If you've hit it with all the cleaners you've got, there's nothing more to do than roll all the windows down, fold the back seat down, leave the trunk up, and drive the crap out of it  ;D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I am hoping that time is all it needs. I had a similar experience when I lived in the dorms, but it was because my room mate peed in the fridge and threw up in a wire trashcan (without a bag in it) and was an all around slob anyway.
- Jimmy

Chris Hyde

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:17:08 PM »
What color is the said fabric?  If it is dark, you can take a tomato, cut the edge of one side and rub the area over and over, saturating the area, letting it dry and then cleaning it with Spot Shot.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »
Its a light grey color.
- Jimmy

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:27:04 PM »
Its a light grey color.

Yeah... I'd stay away from Chris's tomatoes  :o

:D
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

ranger11

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:42 PM »
Grease lightning will work or your money back.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
Baking soda for smell.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline DILYSI Dave

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
Pull the carpet out, and pressure wash it.  Simple green on siphon to clean, plain water to rinse.  Let it sit outside for a day or two to dry.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM