BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: My Big Green Egg  (Read 3680 times)

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
My Big Green Egg
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »
I have spent most of my adult life cooking on the vast variety of grills like most of you. The money spent is unimaginable. Until I finally found the Big Green Egg. Some swear by it and others loathe it. The company was founded in 1974 in Tucker, GA by Ed Fisher.  For the past 21 years, I have served  as a firefighter in DeKalb County and most of the stations use a grill that was donated by the BGE store off of Lawrenceville Highway.
My direction will include my experiences both positive and negative and I hope that not only can I learn from each of you. I am by NO MEANS and expert nor a chef but some of the men and women I know in the Fire Service are the most talented and well fed people on the planet!
My first topic is size (yeah, she was right!) it DOES matter!

The Large Egg I own will comfortably cook 6 chicken breasts or 2 racks of ribs. There are plenty of sizes to choose from so based on your needs is how you should choose.

Second topic which I will expand on later is equipment. In order to start cooking food at a slow rate, the diffuser plate is a must. I also recommend the ceramic grill plate.  Remember, if you're Looking, you ain't cooking

I look forward to questions and comments. My plan is to speak about my past experiences with all types of dishes to include:
Pizza
Bread
Cheese
Pork
Beef
Chicken
Fish
and so on and so on!
You can cook it ALL on the BGE because it's ALL about the amount of wood charcoal and temperature.
I'm already hungry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
2014 JK

Offline Jango

• Visitor
Re: My Big Green Egg
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Following!
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
Post up some of your cooks!! Do you have any favorite/signature dishes? 
Jay

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »
Following!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »
Post up some of your cooks!! Do you have any favorite/signature dishes?
Oh yeah! I'll post and take pics as I cook them!

Mike
2014 JK

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Can't thin of a better occupation than working at the firehouse (on slow days if they exist in Dekalb) would give a man a lot of time to think about cooking, plan the cooking, prepare the meat, and cook it slow while getting paid to do it, and nobody is going to bother you to polish the chrome if you're cooking!.  Perfect scenario. 

Subscribed.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »

The Large Egg I own will comfortably cook 6 chicken breasts or 2 racks of ribs. There are plenty of sizes to choose from so based on your needs is how you should choose.

FYI

with the rib rack and the Large Egg, you can cook 4 full racks of ribs.  For some reason, when I am doing ribs a lot of people want to come over....  done 4 racks many a time.   May be doing them Sunday

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »

FYI

with the rib rack and the Large Egg, you can cook 4 full racks of ribs.  For some reason, when I am doing ribs a lot of people want to come over....  done 4 racks many a time.   May be doing them Sunday

What time?

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 03:41:51 PM »

FYI

I used the rib rack but stopped when I didn't want all the people over!! Ha! ;)

Mike
2014 JK

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
Can't thin of a better occupation than working at the firehouse (on slow days if they exist in Dekalb) would give a man a lot of time to think about cooking, plan the cooking, prepare the meat, and cook it slow while getting paid to do it, and nobody is going to bother you to polish the chrome if you're cooking!.  Perfect scenario. 

Subscribed.
Well, it used to be "slower" in DeKalb when I started but....things change over time I guess. BUT, we always make time to break bread with each other no matter the time of day!
Mike
2014 JK

Offline flashover101

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
Had some time to cook this weekend (Happy Fathers Day by the way!) and decided to do some:

Carolina Slaw

1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 medium cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds), thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced

Mix the vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard and seeds in saucepan bringing to boil. Let completely cool. Slice vegetables or chop to your liking. I add salt and pepper to taste!

Enjoy!

Mike
2014 JK

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 06:15:17 PM »
That's good stuff!! ^^

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE