BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Barn raising  (Read 1512 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Barn raising
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »
The garage on my house has to be the smallest 2 car garage ever. I have a 1 acre lot in a subdivision and I'm checking into building a detached 2 car garage. It's going to be tight getting it though the HOA but I'm me and know people. Probably be 24x26 but have  to figure a way to make it tall enough for a lift while keeping it conforming to the same look as the house without killing the budget. Because it will definitely be a budget project. Slated for next year. Even the wife is on board. It has to be detached because of sewer easements. I'm thinking of having the slab done and building it myself. Also getting turn key prices. If anyone knows good and reasonable contractors, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:08:58 PM by BigMike »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Barn raising
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:19:12 PM »
Looks like you are encroaching into the side yard setback. That is not an HOA issue, that's a city of Roswell/Fulton Co issue.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:21:07 PM by tcdawg »

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Re: Barn raising
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
Looks like you are encroaching into the side yard setback. That is not an HOA issue, that's a city of Roswell/Fulton Co issue.

Not sure yet.  That ARC line, I believe, is to base other measurements from.  If you notice the left front corner of the house is 17' from the property line.  Same with the garage placement. 

I have a lot of homework to do.  The concrete guy came out today to give me a price on a side pad for the driveway.  Since the garage will be on a hill, he said there will have to be a 3 sided retaining wall (which I knew).  His guestimate for the foundation was $17k to $19k.  That right there kills the whole project.  But I'm also going to have some contractors give me a turn key price.  The concrete guy kept going on about needing a Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer, and a list of other things.  I let him talk but thinking, dude, I just want a guess as to what the concrete pad will cost.  I'll have everything in order and approved before I begin.

He's charging me $2200 for the parking pad.  $200 of that is removing the sod and grading the area.  I was figuring $1700 without the sod removal and grading.  I told him to go ahead because it is such a PITA meeting contractors and this old guy has been in business 43 years.  Said he pays his guys $28/hr.  They start next week.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
Make sure you have your permits etc in hand before starting. City o Atlanta just made a neighbor remove part of his driveway due to something the builder did by adding an additional parking pad. Neighbor decided to gravel it to to comply with pervious surface regulations. Looks like crap now. But he's in compliance.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:27:43 PM »
Sell the house, buy a lot that will accommodate the house and garage you want.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »

In 8 years when I retire.  Staying put for now. 

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »

In 8 years when I retire.  Staying put for now.
No kids?

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »
Part of your equation will be how much to "invest" if you're looking forward to resale.  My attached build was ~25% of the existing value of the house at the time.  I do expect to get most of that back when we sell eventually, although it will be in inflated $.  Probably not wise to spend more than that.  I did go a "bit" overboard by having the second story habitable, which added a good 15% or more the overall cost.

I was the general contractor on my project meaning I pulled the permits.  I hired a builder to oversee and use his subs, and I paid as we went along.  Being as it was 2008, I had no trouble at all getting workers.  Dumpster and porta-potty in the driveway for several months was a bit of a downer.  Lesson learned - don't let workers dump their lunch garbage in the dumpster.

I did some of the work, mainly drilling studs, pulling wire, wiring outlets, and installing all the lighting and garage door openers.  My wife did all the interior paint.  I'd estimate our work as about 15-20% savings.

My slab at 25x30 is only slightly larger than yours, but since there's a stairway at the back the downstairs space is similar.  4" thick slab is plenty for a lift.

I needed to pay an architect for plans in order to satisfy the HOA, and the front had to be brick to match the house.  Other three sides are Hardiboard.

You're welcome to come over and look at mine if you want some ideas.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »
Part of your equation will be how much to "invest" if you're looking forward to resale.  My attached build was ~25% of the existing value of the house at the time.  I do expect to get most of that back when we sell eventually, although it will be in inflated $.  Probably not wise to spend more than that.  I did go a "bit" overboard by having the second story habitable, which added a good 15% or more the overall cost.

I was the general contractor on my project meaning I pulled the permits.  I hired a builder to oversee and use his subs, and I paid as we went along.  Being as it was 2008, I had no trouble at all getting workers.  Dumpster and porta-potty in the driveway for several months was a bit of a downer.  Lesson learned - don't let workers dump their lunch garbage in the dumpster.

I did some of the work, mainly drilling studs, pulling wire, wiring outlets, and installing all the lighting and garage door openers.  My wife did all the interior paint.  I'd estimate our work as about 15-20% savings.

My slab at 25x30 is only slightly larger than yours, but since there's a stairway at the back the downstairs space is similar.  4" thick slab is plenty for a lift.

I needed to pay an architect for plans in order to satisfy the HOA, and the front had to be brick to match the house.  Other three sides are Hardiboard.

You're welcome to come over and look at mine if you want some ideas.

Thanks for the insight Kirk.  I've been to your garage 2 or 3 times.  I'd like to get the ceiling that high but not sure the HOA will approve it.  I'm already pushing it since the covenants say you have to have 1 acre to put a detached building and I only actually have .92.  Hoping they will make an exception. 

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
Barn raising
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »

Not sure yet.  That ARC line, I believe, is to base other measurements from.  If you notice the left front corner of the house is 17' from the property line.  Same with the garage placement. 

I have a lot of homework to do.  The concrete guy came out today to give me a price on a side pad for the driveway.  Since the garage will be on a hill, he said there will have to be a 3 sided retaining wall (which I knew).  His guestimate for the foundation was $17k to $19k.  That right there kills the whole project.  But I'm also going to have some contractors give me a turn key price.  The concrete guy kept going on about needing a Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer, and a list of other things.  I let him talk but thinking, dude, I just want a guess as to what the concrete pad will cost.  I'll have everything in order and approved before I begin.

He's charging me $2200 for the parking pad.  $200 of that is removing the sod and grading the area.  I was figuring $1700 without the sod removal and grading.  I told him to go ahead because it is such a PITA meeting contractors and this old guy has been in business 43 years.  Said he pays his guys $28/hr.  They start next week.
Please run from that guy. My garage pad was 5800 and it's 30x40 with an 8 foot x 30 foot "ramp" in front. When i built my big Cnc shop in 2012 it was 17000. That included two sides w 3 foot walls and the other side with a wall that tapered down to nothing. This included 2x2 rebar grid 8" thick with 4000 psi concrete w fiber. Oh and it's 40x60. My neighbor just built a 30x40 and has right at 45k in it complete.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:44:05 PM by Anvilsam »

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »

Please run from that guy. My garage pad was 5800 and it's 30x40 with an 8 foot x 30 foot "ramp" in front. When i built my big Cnc shop in 2012 it was 17000. That included two sides w 3 foot walls and the other side with a wall that tapered down to nothing. This included 2x2 rebar grid 8" thick with 4000 psi concrete w fiber. Oh and it's 40x60. My neighbor just built a 30x40 and has right at 45k in it complete.

Thanks Sam. I figured he was full of shit.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 04:11:51 PM »
Had the driveway extension dine today. Will be able to pull onto the parking pad without driving on the grass.  They graded it, relocated a sprinkler head and had to work around a controller box. They used the sod they took up and placed it along the edge they dug up for the forms. Happy with the work.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM