BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gravelmap.com, Ridewithgps.com, and Google Maps - Taking the Path Less Traveled  (Read 439 times)

Online Kadavenport

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Packed up with my wife and two other couples and headed to AL for the weekend. We took my LJ and my buddies 99 TJ, and charted a route taking as many dirt roads as possible. While not off-roading, dirt-roading and seeing the rural areas was fun. I used gravelmap.com to see gravel/dirtroads, and ridewithgps.com to create a custom route, and lastly saved the route to google maps. If you guys want me to do a write up let me know, as it can be a bit frustrating to get the three sites working together.

On a side note, I was so close to Morris MTN, but lacked a couple pieces of recovery gear required. Better prepared next time.
Kyle
Ansley (the wife), Layla (daughter), & Abbott (son)

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
Sound cool!  I always like to take backroads, etc, but have never done anything like this.
Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Very cool! Write up would be great!
Jay

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
I would love to do something like this, like a ride through the south taking as few "paved" roads as possible, and camping along the way for a few days. Write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I'm in!  My son and I did this over Memorial Day weekend in the North Georgia Mountains.  Camped and legal roads for four days.  My son is in  The process of learning to drive, this was perfect for him.
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Online Kadavenport

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Alright, I'll put something together with screenshots over the next couple of days.
Kyle

Online Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
That's awesome! Did you do part of the GA traverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Online Kadavenport

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
As promised, I wanted to share how I created a custom route for a recent road trip. I utilized gravelmap.com to find as many dirt roads as possible, validated the condition of the roads with google earth/maps, and plotted the route in Ridewithgps.com. Ridewithgps allows you to create turn-by-turn directions, but does not do turn-by-turn voice navigation unless you sign up for one of their subscriptions. If you have a gps, you can download your custom route into it to achieve turn-by-turn navigation instead.

Step 1: Start and End points, or any other Waypoints
Where did you come from, where did you go? Get the addresses of your starting point, destination, and any stops along the way. Write these down, you'll need them later.

Step 2: Creating a Base Route
Go to https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ and click "Create a New Map". You will need a Google account to use this functionality.

Name your route.

Change the base map to satellite.

Click add directions (the arrow button), and add your start and end points plus any additional destinations or waypoints. Google will automatically create driving directions based on either the quickest time or shortest distance.

Step 3: Finding Dirt Roads on Gravel Map
Go to https://gravelmap.com and look for any road in yellow. Click on the roads to get their names and make sure they are roads and not bike trails!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:34:39 PM by Kadavenport »
Kyle

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM