BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: GATR OPEN RIDE SEPTEMBER 15 - 17th : GULCHES DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 10326 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: GATR OPEN RIDE SEPTEMBER 15 - 17th : GULCHES DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
So I ran into a guy on Sunday who said my Jeep can't handle Gulches. Looked at the website, and there appeared to be plenty of easy trails, and bypasses around obstacles. I don't want to be that guy holding you up on the trail, and I definitely don't want to be towed back home after breaking because I was stupid. Is this park too difficult for a noob like me to enjoy?

My LJ is running 32x11.5x15 ATs and roughly a 5in lift. I have the LSD in the rear, no lockers. Wanting to come and learn, but you guys tell me if this isn't the right trip. My brother-in-law is planning on joining too in his TJR with 2in lift and 33x12.5x15 MTs.

you will have a blast, lots to do at Gulches for a rig like yours

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
So I ran into a guy on Sunday who said my Jeep can't handle Gulches. Looked at the website, and there appeared to be plenty of easy trails, and bypasses around obstacles. I don't want to be that guy holding you up on the trail, and I definitely don't want to be towed back home after breaking because I was stupid. Is this park too difficult for a noob like me to enjoy?

My LJ is running 32x11.5x15 ATs and roughly a 5in lift. I have the LSD in the rear, no lockers. Wanting to come and learn, but you guys tell me if this isn't the right trip. My brother-in-law is planning on joining too in his TJR with 2in lift and 33x12.5x15 MTs.

you will have a blast, lots to do at Gulches for a rig like yours

Agree! This park is perfect for both of you guys. I don't know what that guy was thinking.
Jay

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
Totally agree....perfect place to get started.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »
Esp. the parking lot
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »

My first ride with GATR was at gulches. Stock Sahara and duratracs. I had a blast!!!! And never looked back. You'll have plenty to do, bypasses around the tough spots, and easy trails running next to the hard ones so you can sit and watch the guys trying things you don't want to. the day the bug bit......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »
Gulches is great. I think many of us rode Gulches as our 1st Club Ride. my 2 cents is to make sure you have good diff covers and oil pan/transmission skids.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »

My first ride with GATR was at gulches. Stock Sahara and duratracs. I had a blast!!!! And never looked back. You'll have plenty to do, bypasses around the tough spots, and easy trails running next to the hard ones so you can sit and watch the guys trying things you don't want to. the day the bug bit......

Yeah, the parking lot is pretty ruff. Lol

Offline clarksr

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »
Are there still places to camp available? I am trying to convince my fiance that we need to go. It is about a 3.5hr ride, and I would trailer it down there for convenience and in case I break something.  //:hlp//

We would get in around 8-9 on friday night, and then camp out till Sunday. I would have to leave by noon-ish on Sunday.
2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »
I have a meeting in Greenville all week and was planning to take the Jeep up and then ride at Gulches on Saturday, but I don't think that's going to happen now.

If Irma dumps the amount of rain they are forecasting, the river at Gulches will flood and cover all of the camp sites and Skip will not open.  It's a wait and see.  Irma could turn east and go out to sea and not be a factor at all. 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:13:14 AM by Doug »

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »
No expert here, but if any of the models are correct, even if it does turn north later than earlier it'll pass through north GA and the Carolinas Monday and Tuesday. That should leave enough time to dry out, and dissipate any flooding that might occur on the river at the park. I'm planning on being there unless it's still raining on Friday.

And to answer your question about camping. Yes, there are still plenty of spots open. Check out the "check in" thread. It has sites listed, number of people signed up for those sites and maximum occupancy for each spot.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
No expert here, but if any of the models are correct, even if it does turn north later than earlier it'll pass through north GA and the Carolinas Monday and Tuesday. That should leave enough time to dry out, and dissipate any flooding that might occur on the river at the park. I'm planning on being there unless it's still raining on Friday.

That would be awesome.  I would love to run a few of those trails again.   In the past the river there hasn't subsided for 3 or more days after a big rain locally and upstream,  The river covers all of the campsites and lower areas of the park.

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »

That would be awesome.  I would love to run a few of those trails again.   In the past the river there hasn't subsided for 3 or more days after a big rain locally and upstream,  The river covers all of the campsites and lower areas of the park.
Well dang it, I'm still hopeful. I'll camp in the damn parking lot if I have to. I need to get away from the world and spend some time in the woods. I always start getting a little stir crazy if I spend more than a few weeks without getting out into the wilderness......

"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."  John Eldredge Wild at Heart

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM