BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: more Re-gearing discussion please  (Read 3307 times)

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
Re: more Re-gearing discussion please
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »
So if you plan on running a larger tire in the future, save your money and find a 44 somewhere. I know alot of guys who run the D30 without any issues. Todd runs one in his CJ and he beats that thing on 35's. I ran a 30 years ago before I swapped to the waggy front and never had an issue with it and the aussie locker. But I only ran 33's on it for fear of going to big on it. So if you are a mild non heavy footed driver keep the 30, plan on going bigger tire etc, save for a 44. But there has to be better deals out there or somebody selling a stock 44 housing cheaper than $5-6000!! Build one.
Remember though he has a jk. Gotta keep the electronics happy. You would be hard pressed to build a junkyard 44 with selectable locker and all the jk electronics crap with jk specific brackets for what the ultimate 44 cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
In a Dana 30, with 5.13s, there is only one tooth on the pinion in constant contact with the ring gear. I think 1.5 or 2 with 4.88s.
Most Dana 30 owners don't go above 4.56 for this reason. Insurance.
Personally, I'd get a Rubi 44 & sail the 30.
I think this is true on D44's as well. From what I have read most of the ring and pinion breaks are on gears higher than 4:88's.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »
In a Dana 30, with 5.13s, there is only one tooth on the pinion in constant contact with the ring gear. I think 1.5 or 2 with 4.88s.
Most Dana 30 owners don't go above 4.56 for this reason. Insurance.
Personally, I'd get a Rubi 44 & sail the 30.
I think this is true on D44's as well. From what I have read most of the ring and pinion breaks are on gears higher than 4:88's.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I broke a few rear ring gears on my old 44 with 5.38 gears.  If I was building a 44 again I would do 5.13 gears.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »
I'd see if I could find a dirty thirty someone has built up and decided to go a different route.  That one Kent had was built...how much did he sell it for? @kentssocool

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 07:18:32 AM »
I'd see if I could find a dirty thirty someone has built up and decided to go a different route.  That one Kent had was built...how much did he sell it for? @kentssocool

sold it for cheap, but i had several other reason for pushing to the PR44,   had long conversations with several members and @Danny Kinder   before pulling the trigger.    as with anything, u will have 10 diff. view points on what to do, how to do it, whatever u do, dont react. ask everyone and take all comments with a grain of salt.  in the end, its YOUR rig, do what U want and feels right.   will u make mistakes, sure, but we all do, its how u learn.

Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »

sold it for cheap, but i had several other reason for pushing to the PR44,   had long conversations with several members and @Danny Kinder   before pulling the trigger.    as with anything, u will have 10 diff. view points on what to do, how to do it, whatever u do, dont react. ask everyone and take all comments with a grain of salt.  in the end, its YOUR rig, do what U want and feels right.   will u make mistakes, sure, but we all do, its how u learn.

The only time Kent did not ask for opinions, he ended up "angry."

See what I did there.
Jay

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »

The only time Kent did not ask for opinions, he ended up "angry."

See what I did there.

Yes, well done.
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »
After discussions with the Admiral...this is where I am headed, https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/jeep-jk-wrangler/dynatrac-axle-sets/trail-leader-axle-package.html

With the 5.13/Dynatrac ball joints/ and the 1/2" wall.....this way if/when I decide to go 37's I'll be ready.

I don't want to throw good money away trying to make the d30 work only to be let down with a crappy busted d30, because thats what seems to happen to d30's.

I found this article http://www.drivingline.com/articles/wheel-more-worry-less-dynatrac-prorock-44-review/

and this Jkowners discussion which pertains to my 3.6 and gearing questions
 http://www.jkowners.com/forum/modified-jk-tech-dept/16134-4-88-vs-5-13-gears.html#/topics/16134?page=3

I still need to sell my 8' Porta Bote and the lift and wheels from GATRfest to bring all this together. From the Four Wheeler Article it looks like I will need to add upper Control Arms and flip the drag link and add some bump stop.  My current lift is a RK 2.5

Cleaned the jeep up yesterday  and saw where both sliders had gotten into the body near the rear wheel wells. Also had some damage on my corners from the rear bumper contacting them....Sliders and eventually a different rear bumper and corner armor but that's down the road, isn't it always?
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
$6500 wow.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 10:57:32 AM »
$6500 wow.

Better than putting a few grand into an axle that is weaker and wont get anything out of resale.

Good call imo Jimbo
Jay

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »
$6500 wow.

Better than putting a few grand into an axle that is weaker and wont get anything out of resale.

Good call imo Jimbo

No offense here. I know the JK stuff is more expensive and has electronic stuff but I can't believe you can't build an axle for atleast half of that. What makes an axle build so difficult on the JK setup? It's a killer axle though.
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM