BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: more Re-gearing discussion please  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
Re: more Re-gearing discussion please
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »
$6500 wow.

Better than putting a few grand into an axle that is weaker and wont get anything out of resale.

Good call imo Jimbo

No offense here. I know the JK stuff is more expensive and has electronic stuff but I can't believe you can't build an axle for atleast half of that. What makes an axle build so difficult on the JK setup? It's a killer axle though.
Another question, what are the differences between this axle and a rubi D44?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
more Re-gearing discussion please
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 11:07:35 AM »
$6500 wow.

Better than putting a few grand into an axle that is weaker and wont get anything out of resale.

Good call imo Jimbo

No offense here. I know the JK stuff is more expensive and has electronic stuff but I can't believe you can't build an axle for atleast half of that. What makes an axle build so difficult on the JK setup? It's a killer axle though.

This is one of the big differences.

Ben, look at all of the guys running JY axles on JKs. If you don't do the fab work yourself, it'll cost more.
Jay

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »
$6500 wow.

Good call imo Jimbo

Ben, look at all of the guys running JY axles on JKs. If you don't do the fab work yourself, it'll cost more.

I wonder what the difference is overall tube strength of the Rubicon D44 that is Artec trussed compared to the PR.

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »
$6500 wow.

Good call imo Jimbo

I wonder what the difference is overall tube strength of the Rubicon D44 that is Artec trussed compared to the PR.
One reason I liked the pro rock over a trussed 44 was the additional separation of the pinion and c's. I was able to run 7+ degrees of caster with no driveshaft vibration. Another difference is higher clearance over the stock 44.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
$6500 wow.

Good call imo Jimbo

Guess it depends on who builds it. Those dynatrac axles are pretty much bolt on, whereas a junkyard would require extensive fabrication to be comparable. The parts and time really add up if you do it yourself.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »
Oh I get the fab work and all. I know the JK axles are wider than the standard TJ and so on so finding an axle that is the same width or close would be tricky I imagine. That seems to be the real issue I feel. You can't throw waggy 44 in a JK front so it eliminates alot of "junk yard" axle builds. Mike that 1 ton currie looks like a killer setup.
I've grown tired of this.

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »
Oh I get the fab work and all. I know the JK axles are wider than the standard TJ and so on so finding an axle that is the same width or close would be tricky I imagine. That seems to be the real issue I feel. You can't throw waggy 44 in a JK front so it eliminates alot of "junk yard" axle builds. Mike that 1 ton currie looks like a killer setup.

Im pretty sure JK differentials have a larger ring and pinion than old 44 stuff as well. So even a JY swap doesn't compare evenly

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
$6500 wow.
+  Install
It would be very difficult for me to spend that much cheddar on axles & them not be tons.
#yourjeepyour$

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
$6500 wow.
+  Install
It would be very difficult for me to spend that much cheddar on axles & them not be tons.
#yourjeepyour$
I originally went this route but also did a semi float 60. There is so much more additional cost to going one tons that they still don't compare. Realistically he would probably be into a one ton swap for triple the cost of this once you add in all the extras

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
$6500 wow.
+  Install
#yourjeepyour$
Axle, not axles... a lot of cheese for sure!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've grown tired of this.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
$6500 wow.
Good call imo Jimbo
but I can't believe you can't build an axle for atleast half of that.

Believe it.  if someone could do it there is a HUGE market for it. It costs what it costs. 

@Blue J  JUST ANOTHER AHOLE OPINION lol,
IMHO I wouldn't touch an axle upgrade knowing your path and desire to wheel WITHOUT LOCKING HUBS and going 60.  I believe in ONCE AND DONE because I've never been good at it and I pay double, triple, sometimes 4x.  Do the front now, it will be set for life, and do the rear when you can. 

I would buy the ULTIMATE 60 for up front, huge benefits
https://www.quadratec.com/products/52459_100X_PG.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlf_MBRDUARIsAD8Gj8DfijM5VOdejfkqkqIVR0qAykfW2550RlLAY0V4iv2FW5LSI8KyplsaArXHEALw_wcB
Dana Spicer® Ultimate Dana 60 Front Axle for 07-17 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
$7,600.00
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:47:15 AM by Doug »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM