BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Irma becomes strongest Atlantic hurricane outside Gulf and Caribbean ever record  (Read 2628 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Gusts to 225 wow

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Early morning update (Wednesday) on Powerful Irma.
It is now the strongest landfall Hurricane in Atlantic basin since the great Labor Day hurricane in 1935 (tied) and raked across the tiny island of Barbuda.
Next up, the northern Virgin Islands, and just north of Puerto Rico soon.
It is still a strong CAT 5, with winds 185 mph,and pressure down to 914 mb.  I'm interested to see if it hits 900 mb at some point in it's life and think it has a shot of doing so, if it remains north of Puerto Rico, rather than cutting directly over land.  We'll see soon.
The tracks are becoming a little more clear, as guidance continues to cluster pretty tightly  going forward, but if you are anywhere near it's path, either side of the Florida peninsula, don't let your guard down, but it's looking like less and less of a western side of Florida iimpact, and more and more like it approaches Southeast Florida in a few days.
The track questions grow further out in time obviously so we'll have to take it day by day, but most models are wanting to brush the eastern side of Florida, if not a direct hit, then turn due north up the East Coast (or just off East Coast of Florida)....the track there makes all the difference in the world for what awaits the Carolinas.
If she remains just barely offshore, or emerges quickly offshore after a hit near Miami, then she'll regain powerful CAT 4 or even CAT 5 status once again.
By Sunday, the European and GFS Global models both still have that weak ridge up over Michigan developing, blocking its north move some and forcing it to cut inland pretty quickly somewhere in southern South Carolina.
That kind of track is eerily similar to Hugo, but again, track errors this far out are huge, but overall, nothing much has changed as this has been a good possibility for days now....basically a hit or brush, in Florida,then north turn, then starting to turn back northwest early Next week, slamming the Carolinas, even well inland possibly, with an extremely powerful hurricane.
Again, all of this is still just educated guess work, if that, and hurricanes are notoriously hard to predict, even the best models are fooled many times. Steering flow will be weak in the Eastern US at that time, so where she goes this weekend means a lot as to where she winds up early next week. Its' still possible she makes that north turn just before a Florida impact , and keeps going north, just offshore, and remains offshore for good, but option is still pretty low and I'm getting more nervous of it lurching back inland to the northwest early next week. For now, Florida should be making plans for the arrival first, and pretty soon more of eastern Georgia and much of the Carolinas need to be thinking how they will prepare for the storm , if it comes north and then inland.
I will say that power outages will be to the extreme on this event and very, very widespread, where the center and east of the storm, goes Sunday through early next week.  Keep that in mind because a storm of this magnitude will leaves its mark.  Since speed is a factor, it doesn't look like tremendous flooding since it's on the move, but to make up for that, it will maintain its high winds much longer, even well inland, wherever it goes, and bring destruction in terms of downed trees and loss of power.
Image below is the newly released Hurricane Guidance Models, the official Track from Hurricane Center and the Satellite.

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
I have ridden out a Cat 3 in '79. We were about 4 miles inland. The hotels on the beach had walls and floors missing. Lumber built houses were blown away. The only structures that with stood it on the beach were concrete brick. Our house suffered minor damage to the roof. But we lost our privacy fence and shed. Others lost more.@Jango be careful and be prepared down there. A generator, propane, and gasoline should be at the top of the list.
Personally, I'd load up the girlfriend and bug out to Atlanta.  My in-laws were out of power for 4 weeks last time one of these came through Central Florida....that's why they moved to Phoenix, AZ.

The North East side of a Hurricane is always the worst for tornadoes and wind damage, due to rotation.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
No way I would be staying watching this thing build knowing it is headed towards me. The entire storm is bigger than FL right now so everyone will be affected. I would cruise on out now to avoid traffic and issues. Good luck to those who stay!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Queue up the global warming nutballs.

I talked to my cousin in Daytona this morning.  They just bought a new house and moved to Port Orange about 6 miles inland.  They've been doing renovations and the hurricane windows actually go in today.  I told him to head to Atlanta if they are bugging out.  So far they are planning to stay.

There is still a chance this storm turns and hits east of FL.  Also hoping Irma and Jose miss the entire east coast.  Heading to OBX on 9/30. 

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I was heading for global cooling must be happening, since we know global warming couldn't have anything to do with this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
we know global warming couldn't have anything to do with this.

Global warming and cooling occurs naturally, always has, always will. 

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
I was heading for global cooling must be happening, since we know global warming couldn't have anything to do with this.

Global warming is causing all of this! As the polar ice caps melt, the storms will get worse. Just make sure you have emergency supplies and ammo! A tin foil hat will help thwart the mirco waves!

Two things I always remember...
It always looks darkest right before it goes pitch black !
and
Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Go over the Facebook where Trump is causing this Hurrican and is responsible for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Jango

• Visitor
Margo and I will be hitting the road tomorrow morning asap. headed home to ATL!
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Good move.  Grab some extra fuel, and be safe.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Good move.  Grab some extra fuel, and be safe.

Jackasses in Augusta already running the pumps out.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:19:55 PM by patman »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM